The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Art Stuff Pif

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Okami

Okami

Writing Is Thinking In Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2017 - 14:37

This post is for struggling students or anyone else who may be struggling to support their art fix.

I have a plethora of art supplies. From markers to paint, pencils to paper, ephemera, stamps, the list goes on.

I would like to offer this to two of our members who may not be able to support their art habit in the manner which they would like.

Please reply to this thread by Saturday 6th Oct, midnight Pacific time and on Sunday I will select two names. Please indicate if you like watercolors, because I tend to lean in that direction and if you don't like watercolors I don't want to send any to you. CONUS only.

I will then fill two medium priority boxes with stuff.

If I have extra i will draw additional names and fill more boxes.

Good luck!!

Julie

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

Sponsored Content

#2 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 18:59

Wow! Thank you for your generosity. To be honest I've never worked with watercolors because I've never been able to afford them. Well, that, and my parents always taught me that creative endeavors were a waste of time and money. I still argue with my husband just about weekly that I'm not creative, but he says my stint as a choreographer and circus performer demonstrate that I'm actually quite creative. 

All i know for certain is that I can't draw, but after visiting some art museums, I realized that I've always loved color studies, but didn't realize it. 

Good luck to the other entries! 

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:00

Memory, your husband is right -- there's all KINDS of creative.

I know a woman who said she could not do calligraphy to save her life -- but hand her a piping bag with icing in it and she can write in a pretty decent uncial hand on a cake....  My mother published some 40-odd novels (various genres); ask her to *draw* something, OTOH and you'd be lucky to get a stick figure....  She used to swear it skipped a generation because my grandmother used to all sorts of arts and crafts (knitting, painting, making dollhouse furniture and apple-headed dolls); but my grandmother was apparently a HORRIBLE cook....

I used to be pretty good with oil painting in college.  Watercolors?  Not so much....

Your parents sound like the mother of someone I know. :angry:  She makes costumes, is a fabulous illustrator, and she plays Irish harp.  She should have been an art major but her mother said "Oh, no -- you should do something that you can make a living at.  So she took botany.  And now works for a company that maintains indoor gardens in office buildings and absolutely HATES it (oh, she was a fabulous gardener, too -- but her job killed any joy she got out of it).  At least my mother just rolled her eyes and said "What are you going to do with a degree in Art?  Forge Old Masters?" but didn't try to talk me out of it....

So you were a circus performer?  Kewl....  What did you do?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 17:29

My dad could draw anything, and I used to think that talent was inherited. I woud spend hours drawing animals, but they were never realistic enough for me. Of course, in the confines of a very strict Asian household, only photorealistic drawings were deemed acceptable, and only after you did all your homework, did all the chores, did a full shift at the family owned restaurant, practice piano, etc. etc. I really wanted to learn how to play piano when I was 3 or so, but my mother sucked the life out of it. Every practice section I had to be vigilent about thwacks on the hand with a ruler if I made a mistake. I had a really tough conversation with my piano teacher begginer her not to give me any more jazz, modern, or classical pianists that featured dissonance. My mother had zero musical training, so she didn't understand intentional dissonance. My favorite escape was books because I could get away with "studying" when really I was escaping into the next amazing story. 

I was never allowed to cook as a child, which is a bit ironic considering that I spent years working in the family restaurant. It turns out I must be a really great observational learner though, and I'm a supertaster with the pallete to prove it. Conveniently, my husband also loves to cook and he has a similarly sensitive pallete. Even though I never cooked anything other than a pot of ramen or heating up a can of soup, I was able to replicate my favorite childhood dishes with ease the very first year that I lived off campus while at university. The exception? Pho, the traditional Vietnamese beef noodle soup dish. I have yet to crack my mother's secret ingredients. I can make it, and it's good, but it doesn't have quite the right complexity. My mother won't tell me what's in her dish because it's a family secret. No, it doesn't make sense to me, and yes, I'm being serious. 

Aside from cooking, I knit, crochet, dance, perform circus arts, and choreograph performances. I've been too sick lately to do much of any of that though (long story, toxic mold poisoning, fibromyalgia, and Ehler-Danos Syndrome). Still, I'm hardwired to view myself as a scientist. My partner says that I use the same strategy as choreographing a piece (we sometimes perform together) as I use for sorting out experiments or writing grants. I always thought I was just being logical and teling a story ;)

I started circus arts ouf of a need to exercise regularly to manage chronic pain. My wrists have been badly abused after 17 years at the bench and jobs that require typing constantly now, so I had to quit my yoga practice and find something else. I started hooping (North Carolina is a bit of a mecca for circus arts) and then branched out into levitation wand (a modern take on the magician's dancing cane), fire dancing, aerials, and my favorite, designing custom fire costumes. I really enjoy making fire masks and fire wings, kevlar is relatively pricey, so I haven't been able to afford doing that for a while. My profle picture is from 2 yeras ago when I was fire dancing at a local festival. That's one of my favorite fire hoops in the picture :)

#5 JWil

JWil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:36

My mother won't tell me what's in her dish because it's a family secret.

Well you wouldn't want to spill the beans......! I hear ya, my Grandmother made the best chicken dumplings on the planet and do you think she would share the recipe for it, not on your life. Well long story short, it passed with her and my Mom had no clue either.

Jerry

"My wife will probably kill me if I drag her to another antique store looking for FP's......."

#6 goodpens

goodpens

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 21:36

Awesome offer!

#7 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 17:24

Is it bad that I take some comfort knowing that I'm not alone with that kind of awful story? For me, food is love. Not sharing that joy feels cold, callous.

MassDrop had an awesome competition to celebrate InkTober. You can send in one inky drawing a day (up to 31 entires) to win a sweet gift pack.

Maybe this a perfect time to try something intentional.

Edited by Memory, 01 October 2017 - 17:26.

#8 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:15

This is a very generous Pif. Thank you. - mine is not an entry. And would not be one either, even if I was on the US (I, too, crawl under art stuff ;) ).

@Memory, I agree with you: food is love.

Do you know the mexican film Like Water for Chocolat? If you don't, and decide to watch it, I think you will like it. ;)

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#9 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 19:20

I love that movie!

#10 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:46

In a different way, I love the Joy Luck Club as well, although it's pretty much a mandatory hazing incident for every person I've ever dated. No one can believe how backwards and restrictive Asian culture can be...there is a certain type of guilt trip that is unique, just as Jewish-American parents, Greek parents, and other ethnicities share some traits in common. I was raised by a Lutheran nanny, so I got a decent amount of Garrison Keilor-esque experiences growing up.

One of the things I like best about that movie is the fact that it highlights some of the things you should and shouldn't EVER do if you're eating a family style meal with Asians. If you're interested in historical dramas, give it a shot.

Fun fact, if you like to watch Agents of Shield, Agent May is the same actress as Jun in Joy Luck Club and the voice actress Milan. I always joke that I want to be her when I grow up...she's around 53, and I swear she looks younger than me.

#11 egglorru

egglorru

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:55

Is it bad that I take some comfort knowing that I'm not alone with that kind of awful story? For me, food is love. Not sharing that joy feels cold, callous.

I agree, food is love and sharing is caring! My chief problem with getting recipes out of my mother, though, is that I am a scientist that requires recipes with standardized measurements, and she is an overwhelmingly good soup-maker who never makes the same soup twice because it was "whatever leftovers and vegetables in the fridge needed to be used up before they went bad". She has no recipes. Her idea of salt and spice measurements is to pour a bit in her cupped palm, study it critically for two seconds, and say "that looks about right" before dusting her hands off into the pot. It makes me want to curl in a ball and cry sometimes.

I've been meaning (and procrastinating due to fear of failure) to take up using my excessive collection of fountain pen inks to do ink washes with, similar to watercolor washes. I've never done watercolors either, though. Do you think it would help to break myself in with watercolors before moving into inks? If so, then sign me up, but if not, I don't want to reduce someone else's chances of getting art supplies when I've got plenty of ink.

Inks I have for trade: Private Reserve - Avocado, Copper Burst, Naples Blue, Purple Haze, Sepia, Shell Pink; Noodler's - Apache Sunset, Heart of Darkness, Periwinkle, Red-Black, Baystate Blue, Texas Bluebonnet; Sailor - Sei-Boku, Shigure, Miruai; Diamine - Blue Lightning, Brandy Dazzle, Golden Sands, Night Sky, Apple Glory, Autumn Oak, China Blue, Red Dragon, Sunshine Yellow; Akkerman - Dutch Masters Gele Oker van Frans; Fountain Pen Revolution - Blue-black; J. Herbin - Rose Red (scented), Terre de Feu, Bleu Pervenche, Cacao du Bresil, Vert Reseda, Vert Empire, Emerald de Chivor; Iroshizuku - Fuyu-Gaki; Röhrer & Klingner - Scabiosa; De Atramentis - Black-Brown, Jasmine (scented); Montblanc - Corn Poppy red; Platinum - Cassis Black; Storia - Lion Light Brown; Waterman - Inspired Blue; KWZI - Grey Plum; Robert Oster - Viola

#12 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:59

That's so interesting. I'm a scientist as well, but I never measure while cooking. When I was still at the bench, I'd joke that I spend all day measuring and transferring liquids that I didn't want to deal with measuring things at home. I'm very instinctual in the kitchen, and because my husband and I are supertasters, we can usually recreate most things we eat. We'll occasionally look at a recipe, but it's always a guideline, not something we follow exactly.

That being said, I can't bake at all. I have no intuition when it comes to that, and because I don't really measure things, my results are too variable. I've even tried measuring! My husband can bake like a fiend though. Bread is the only type of baking that I can really do, and that's largely because I can tell when it feels right.

#13 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 19:48

If you have a second box, I have three aspiring teenage artists here.  I keep buying supplies and they keep using them. The last time I caught one of them using my FP ink for paint was not pretty.  They love water colors, markers, paint all sorts of arty things.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

#14 Okami

Okami

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 14:40

I agree, food is love and sharing is caring! My chief problem with getting recipes out of my mother, though, is that I am a scientist that requires recipes with standardized measurements, and she is an overwhelmingly good soup-maker who never makes the same soup twice because it was "whatever leftovers and vegetables in the fridge needed to be used up before they went bad". She has no recipes. Her idea of salt and spice measurements is to pour a bit in her cupped palm, study it critically for two seconds, and say "that looks about right" before dusting her hands off into the pot. It makes me want to curl in a ball and cry sometimes.

I've been meaning (and procrastinating due to fear of failure) to take up using my excessive collection of fountain pen inks to do ink washes with, similar to watercolor washes. I've never done watercolors either, though. Do you think it would help to break myself in with watercolors before moving into inks? If so, then sign me up, but if not, I don't want to reduce someone else's chances of getting art supplies when I've got plenty of ink.

I think you can do much with ink washes, but they will act very different from watercolors.

Depending on what you really want you should probably try out working with watercolor.
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

#15 Okami

Okami

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 17:08

The winners are: Memory and Amberleadavis

Congratulations

Please PM me your address

Edited by Okami, 08 October 2017 - 17:09.

#16 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 16:30

Just popping in to send warm greetings to always generous Okami! 

And that your wonderful sturdy PIF equipment shared eons ago was put to good use and then shared forward to continue good and worthy use.

And, always think of you when I see your favored pooch breed :-) 

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#17 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 14:22

Thanks so much!!!! I'm so excited!

#18 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:29

THank you so much!!! My kiddos will be super excited. 2 of them have birthdays this month.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

#19 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:37

I once played trumpet and sang, but these days my creativity generally goes into writing and forming arguments.  I probably should have been a lawyer.

As for forms and media in visual/fine arts, I suggest giving things a whirl.  Experimentation, trial and error, and practice are what help a person to get good.  That's probably how you'll find what works for you.

#20 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 21:21

OMG!!!! My package just arrived today. I wasn't sure what the huge heavy box would contain. When I opened it my mouth was hanging open and my eyes were bugging out of my head for a good 15 minutes. It  was so exaggerated that my husband was a little afraid my face would stay like that permanently. On top of that, I scared the living daylights out of my inlaws because I screamed so loudly. Thank you so much for your generosity. I'm truly amazed and grateful. Have a great weekend! 

Sponsored Content

|