B Nib Question

Dip1587

Hi All- I must once again ask all the experts for an opinion. I recently received my Saint-Exupery Standard Ed. and my Broad nib seems temperamental. I've never used or owned a Broad before so my question is regarding angle. If I don't hold the nib perfectly against the paper it misses on most down strokes (hard starts or misses occasionally regardless, which is a bigger problem). Once it starts going the pen is glorious so I'm wondering if I just need to learn how to use the Broad? My two other medium Montblanc's and countless Pelikan's in Medium have 0 issues so i'm inclined to think it's this particular nib but I figured I'd poll the crowd before sending it out.

I did flush the pen before use.

Also just an FYI that I found the LE Saint-Exupery ink to have the hardest time, which makes me think it's too thick (I'm sure there's more technical terms but you get the idea).

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dip1587

• Ghost Plane

• meiers

• Kalessin

Send it back. B nibs are totally forgiving, often more than Ms.

I’m noticing a recent pattern of MB sending out nibs that simply won’t write. Two attempts with MBNA on a M nib and they persist in sending back a skipping nightmare along with a condescending Email “how to fill piston pens” while totally ignoring writing samples sent in with the pen demonstrating the problem.

Do NOT accept a bad nib on a new pen and do it quickly before they can blame you for their poor workmanship.

When they’re good, they’re very good. (See my Skeleton pics in the OBBB threads) But when you get stuck with one of the dogs, you have to be forceful. Even if you have to ask for your money back to get their attention.

Send it back. B nibs are totally forgiving, often more than Ms.

I’m noticing a recent pattern of MB sending out nibs that simply won’t write. Two attempts with MBNA on a M nib and they persist in sending back a skipping nightmare along with a condescending Email “how to fill piston pens” while totally ignoring writing samples sent in with the pen demonstrating the problem.

Do NOT accept a bad nib on a new pen and do it quickly before they can blame you for their poor workmanship.

When they’re good, they’re very good. (See my Skeleton pics in the OBBB threads) But when you get stuck with one of the dogs, you have to be forceful. Even if you have to ask for your money back to get their attention.

Thanks for the advice Ghost Plane. I recently purchased a 90's Montblanc that writes effortlessly so I'm inclined to quickly agree with your assessment of QC.

~ Dip1587:

Reading your experience with a flawed B nib was painful.

The experience of writing with a Montblanc B nib ought to be deeply satisfying, as they're so smooth.

By no means should you accept it. Montblanc has a responsibility to provide you with a B nib that writes well.

All that Ghost Plane has eloquently expressed is true.

I hope that you'll receive the assistance you need with minimal delay.

Thank you for telling us about your unfortunate experience.

Tom K.

For what it's worth, I recently had a B nib (my first) put onto a new Brahms Donation pen and was having some issues writing with it. See this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316957-whats-your-most-recent-mb-purchase-2017/?p=3896585

I haven't picked the pen up in the last couple of weeks as I've been travelling, but I don't recall it getting much better with usage.

I might be taking it back to MB at some point to be looked at.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I try and keep perspective that these are special instruments and achieving perfection can be tough. However, for the price of these Writer's editions even an occasional skip or hard start shouldn't happen as one would assume there is extra care in craftmanship.

I'll be sending it back for a new nib. I just hope it comes back in perfect condition because a few of these service type threads are pretty upsetting...

Thanks for all the input everyone. I try and keep perspective that these are special instruments and achieving perfection can be tough. However, for the price of these Writer's editions even an occasional skip or hard start shouldn't happen as one would assume there is extra care in craftmanship.

I'll be sending it back for a new nib. I just hope it comes back in perfect condition because a few of these service type threads are pretty upsetting...

Absolutely. Let them know that you are right to expect perfection and indeed a nib with soul when you are handling a Montblanc.

The Internet being what it is, we usually hear more of the unfortunate service results in this forum than the successful results.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Absolutely. Let them know that you are right to expect perfection and indeed a nib with soul when you are handling a Montblanc.

I like it. :) Perfection and a nib with soul. :wub: I must remember that one. :thumbup:

My Exupéry has Double Broad, writes beautifuly, too bad Montblanc keeps letting customers down like that, I am sorry for everyone that had bad experiences, I hope my good luck doesn't end soon!

So, are you having them change the nib for another Broad? or maybe a different this time?

Cheers,

Luis A.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to provide an update. I sent the pen to Montblanc USA and they sent me an invoice for $120 to change the nib because they claim it’s beyond the 6-week nib exchange period. When I purchased the pen from the Euro dealer they said Writer’s Editions had a one year nib exchange policy but regardless here we are. Luckily, I have proof that my pen was shipped later than the warranty book was stamped (at time of pre-order) so they’ll now see I’m within 6 weeks since I took ownership.

The trouble I have is they’ve told me it’s in fine working order so it can’t be considered warranty work. It’s beyond me how a near $1,000 pen that skips on down strokes is within working order but I guess they’re experts.

Before I sound off I’ll wait for their next response. Either way, this trend of luxury brands skimping on customer service needs to stop. Shame on us I suppose for supporting them still.

Side note because I know a few will suggest this… the Euro dealer said they’d take the pen back if things don’t get resolved but I’d obviously prefer to skip the wait/shipping fees.

That's very disappointing, sorry to hear it.

Montblanc B nibs are amongst my favourite writers. When they're on form, they're unsurpassable!

I take it that you're still in communication with MB about this? I'd dispute their 'fine working order' statement and describe your experiences with this nib, as in your OP.

What did you ask them, initially (re the nib swap)? Did you ask for a different size?

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed.

Good luck

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are having these issues.

I initially wouldve suggested you flush the new pen thoroughly and then checked the tines with a loupe for alignment. Unfortunately, due to handling and transport rarely did a Montblanc nib I purchased performed to my standard. With a minute of adjusting I find in 99% of the cases to be a simple alignment problem.

That being said, its their job not yours! And yes you have 1 year tonexchange he nibs and your entitled to say I am just not comfortable with it. Tell them its policy and they do not get to decide whats acceptable for you. You can ask them to check the alignment for you in case they have a technician on site.

Lastly, what ink do you have in the pen?

Good advice.

I would include link to this discussion in your correspondence with them.

I am following this thread and so should they.

You could contact them on their Facebook page too.

Typically replies within a few hours, it says on their page.

Edited by meiers

What I would do is to go a friendly pen show and get it adjusted (mostly at no cost). Service centres and boutiques often offers no help :(

All good advice, thanks everyone. To answer the above question I told them it was a brand new pen with hard starts and baby's bottoms so I wanted a new B (same size) nib. To me, this shouldn't count as a nib exchange but rather a defective nib needing replacement. I tried several inks and while the Leo Tolstoy worked the best it still didn't function properly. The LE Saint- Exupery ink didn't work well at all though flows perfectly through my Pelikan.

I'm sure I'll hear back early next week as the service department (or font office atleast) is probably closed for the weekend. I did tell them that I can send a video of the pen not working as well but IMO it shouldn't have to come to that. Logically, they must know it's a new pen as they rolled them out slowly over the past two months.

Lastly, I did inspect the nib with a loupe. I'm not an expert by any means but didn't see any obvious misalignment.