Noodlers Boston Safety Pen

Dave_g

That's the magic of the noodlers pen. Basically every nib ever made will fit some noodlers pen (excluding #8, 10, and 1)

A pilot custom #5 gold nib fits. Any #5 nib fits. Any vintage #2 nib will fit.

If you want to stick with steel flex and don't like the noodler's nib, get an FPR #5.5 flex nib.

Any of the standard "smaller" nibs currently made will fit the boston safety. I don't know about bock #5's, but a Knox #5 is very wide and it fits just fine. I think only the very widest #5 nibs won't fit.

I tried Bock #5 the other day with this pen and it was too wide. It sits alright on the feed but the nib can no longer retract into the body because the shoulders are too wide.

Anyone tried a Jowo #5?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• wallylynn

• Donald2

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attached a comment from Nathan, mine became a little hard, I removed an O-ring and it goes smooth:

"You can leave one o-ring, but I suspect you should have tried to TURN the rear clockwise BEFORE moving it forward....I have been able to use that as a final test for each and every one that leaves for the wider world and all have moved smoothly after first turning clockwise at the rear and giving it a steady push forward while turning clockwise. Turning it clockwise breaks the o-rings grip on the rod - the grip is part of the design, though...because that is what holds it in place so well when the nib is being flexed vigorously and perhaps over a few hours of drawing or writing. However, if you prefer a more relaxed grip and would rather not have the nib held as firmly in place once writing - you can actually replace the o-rings entirely by simply wrapping plumber's teflon tape (usually sold in small rolls in the plumber's section at the local hardware store) until it builds up enough to equate about 30% more than the outside diameter of the o-ring....then screw the retainer back into the barrel over the "band" of teflon tape until firm....and it will be a very slippery seal."

Attached a comment from Nathan, mine became a little hard, I removed an O-ring and it goes smooth:

"You can leave one o-ring, but I suspect you should have tried to TURN the rear clockwise BEFORE moving it forward....I have been able to use that as a final test for each and every one that leaves for the wider world and all have moved smoothly after first turning clockwise at the rear and giving it a steady push forward while turning clockwise. Turning it clockwise breaks the o-rings grip on the rod - the grip is part of the design, though...because that is what holds it in place so well when the nib is being flexed vigorously and perhaps over a few hours of drawing or writing. However, if you prefer a more relaxed grip and would rather not have the nib held as firmly in place once writing - you can actually replace the o-rings entirely by simply wrapping plumber's teflon tape (usually sold in small rolls in the plumber's section at the local hardware store) until it builds up enough to equate about 30% more than the outside diameter of the o-ring....then screw the retainer back into the barrel over the "band" of teflon tape until firm....and it will be a very slippery seal."

I don't understand WTH you are talking about. The O-ring is there for a reason. Screwing around with it is not good. Leave it alone.

Edited by Donald2

I don't understand WTH you are talking about. The O-ring is there for a reason. Screwing around with it is not good. Leave it alone.

He explained to me that they are to create some resistance to use Flex nib, I disarmed and armed it, it did not stay as smooth, after several attempts I opted to remove an O-ring and it goes smooth. This is an option that he told me if you want it even softer, if you do not have problems it is better to leave it as it is.

Mr. Noodlers often encourages tinkering with his pens. He is a pen and ink hacker himself.

He explained to me that they are to create some resistance to use Flex nib, I disarmed and armed it, it did not stay as smooth, after several attempts I opted to remove an O-ring and it goes smooth. This is an option that he told me if you want it even softer, if you do not have problems it is better to leave it as it is.

When you say "resistance', do you mean when you push out the nib from the barrel? I thought that the o-ring was there to seal the pen so no ink would leak through from the nib. So is what you are telling me that the purpose of the o-ring being there is to "only" keep the "feeling" not smooth when you are pushing the nib out of the barrel of the pen? Is that the "only" thing that the o-ring serves a purpose for inside the barrel? I haven't yet used or taken apart my Boston safety pen and neither do I know what the area inside the pen that has the o-ring looks like.

When you say "resistance', do you mean when you push out the nib from the barrel? I thought that the o-ring was there to seal the pen so no ink would leak through from the nib. So is what you are telling me that the purpose of the o-ring being there is to "only" keep the "feeling" not smooth when you are pushing the nib out of the barrel of the pen? Is that the "only" thing that the o-ring serves a purpose for inside the barrel? I haven't yet used or taken apart my Boston safety pen and neither do I know what the area inside the pen that has the o-ring looks like.

Yes, that's what I mean by resistance. Also the O-rings as Nathan says are to hold the rod firmly and I suppose to retain the ink inside the pen, otherwise it would come out.

Traditionally safety pens had a cam on the shaft inside the pen. This cam would travel along a groove on a collar which would be turned to advance or retract the nib in and out of the pen.

The Noodlers Boston Safety pen doesnt have this turning mechanism but rather you can advance and retract the nib by just straight pull or push without turning.

In this pens case it can become dangerous if you try to do flex writing, the nib may inadvertently retract if you flex too hard. The only thing holding it in place in the deployed position is simple friction.

And I dont need to tell you what would happen if the nib accidentally retracts when youre writing with the pen. Youd have a giant mess on your hands.

So the o-rings help keep the nib in place while deployed. Theres a balance here. Do you need to have the thing firmly stuck to the barrel because youll be flexing hard with it. In that case it would require more force to deploy or retract the nib.

Or maybe you plan to not flex write at all with it, in which case less friction would still be okay. If youre in the second category, as I am, you can choose to remove an o-ring to reduce the friction.

So where can we get extra o-rings?

I recall that he addressed this question in his video on the pen, but I don't remember his exact comment.

I recall that he addressed this question in his video on the pen, but I don't remember his exact comment.

Me either. I don't remember him saying anything about that either.

Traditionally safety pens had a cam on the shaft inside the pen. This cam would travel along a groove on a collar which would be turned to advance or retract the nib in and out of the pen.

The Noodlers Boston Safety pen doesnt have this turning mechanism but rather you can advance and retract the nib by just straight pull or push without turning.

In this pens case it can become dangerous if you try to do flex writing, the nib may inadvertently retract if you flex too hard. The only thing holding it in place in the deployed position is simple friction.

And I dont need to tell you what would happen if the nib accidentally retracts when youre writing with the pen. Youd have a giant mess on your hands.

So the o-rings help keep the nib in place while deployed. Theres a balance here. Do you need to have the thing firmly stuck to the barrel because youll be flexing hard with it. In that case it would require more force to deploy or retract the nib.

Or maybe you plan to not flex write at all with it, in which case less friction would still be okay. If youre in the second category, as I am, you can choose to remove an o-ring to reduce the friction.

Okay, I see what you are saying. For me, it would be to my advantage to keep the o-ring secure inside my pen and not touch it. I don't do any flex writing and if I did, it would be gentle without a lot of pressure being put on the nib.

So where can we get extra o-rings?

I got mine at the Home Depot plumbing section -- $2.60 for a 6-pack.

If you're in Seattle-area and need one, post to the email list or Slack channel before the next pen club meeting & I'll bring one for you. We can compare notes on what inks work well in the pen :)

... so far for me, India Ink has worked really well and Diamine Shimmertastic is oddly dry. The feed's ink channel is so wide I can't imagine that being the bottle-neck. (adding ~1/2 a drop of dish-soap helped the dryness, but there's this whole other thread on what soap is appropriate)

I got mine at the Home Depot plumbing section -- $2.60 for a 6-pack.

If you're in Seattle-area and need one, post to the email list or Slack channel before the next pen club meeting & I'll bring one for you. We can compare notes on what inks work well in the pen :)

... so far for me, India Ink has worked really well and Diamine Shimmertastic is oddly dry. The feed's ink channel is so wide I can't imagine that being the bottle-neck. (adding ~1/2 a drop of dish-soap helped the dryness, but there's this whole other thread on what soap is appropriate)

What is the exact Home Depot part number for the O-rings? Can you be nice enough to give it to us here so we can buy the O-rings?

Not to change the subject too abruptly from o rings, but I’m trying to source a new nib for my new safety. Any idea which nibs from fpnibs.com would work? I’m looking for flex but can’t tell which, if any I can use. Consensus seems to say not a Jowo 5 or 6, so I am at a loss.

What is the exact Home Depot part number for the O-rings? Can you be nice enough to give it to us here so we can buy the O-rings?

I got:

#236 O-Ring

5/16" O.D. x 3/16" I.D. x 1/16"

58277B

...basically I measured the inner & outer diameter of the o-ring that broke, looked for the closest I could find, and held the broken one up to the ones in the pack to double-check.

Not to change the subject too abruptly from o rings, but I’m trying to source a new nib for my new safety. Any idea which nibs from fpnibs.com would work? I’m looking for flex but can’t tell which, if any I can use. Consensus seems to say not a Jowo 5 or 6, so I am at a loss.

My calipers say it's an unhelpful 5.3 mm at the base of exposed part. So... if it's not #5, then maybe a 5.5? I'm inked and don't want to disassemble to see if a spare #5 fits. You may have to shave the shoulders down with a file or grinding wheel to get your replacement nib to fit thru the opening.

Edit: Disassembled it today. 4.5mm at bottom of the base. Also, 5.8 mm at the widest point of the shoulders and the opening measuring 6.98 mm. Total nib length is 25.2 mm.

My TWSBI Eco nib fits on the feed and thru the opening.

(also: change away! The O rings aren't the most interesting feature of the pen. This sort of side-chatter is why I like reddit.com/r/fountainpen multi-threading approach to forum comments - it's relevant enuf to discuss, but self-contained so a bored reader can collapse that thread and skip easily while still watching the other discussions.)

Edited by ASCIIaardvark

Everyone is out of stock on the Noodler's Boston safety fountain pen. It seems that the Pen Chalet as well as all the other websites that used to sell this pen are not taking any backorders anymore. Maybe there was only a limited production of this pen.

On eBay I've seen some selling.

Everyone is out of stock on the Noodler's Boston safety fountain pen. It seems that the Pen Chalet as well as all the other websites that used to sell this pen are not taking any backorders anymore. Maybe there was only a limited production of this pen.

Mr. Tardif stated that the run ended up quite limited. Sounded like they had some production issues that cut the number in the release.