Noodlers Boston Safety Pen

Dave_g

This pen seems to be a much bigger deal to people than the neponset was, and the neponset wasn't a limited run either.

I wasn't into the hobby when the Neponset was released, but I'd read about it in old posts and saw some old vids from Goulet about it. I agree this is a bigger deal to many people now (myself included) than Neponset was then.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• wallylynn

• Donald2

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My quick mini review! Really an excuse to use it more tonight and test an ink I wanted to use with it. Since this pen has 2 active threads on FPN right now I'm posting this in both places.

as85I8T.jpg

0HsaOWZ.jpg

On the Pen Chalet website, it says that you can order this pen on backorder again. The 4 that I ordered last Friday still have the status of "order completed, processing shipment" for the last 4 days, but nothing has been shipped out yet. I don't think that the Pen chalet has anymore of them in stock yet.

Edited by Donald2

More are coming, Ruth. This isn't a one-time deal. It's just a little spotty on initial delivery.

This pen seems to be a much bigger deal to people than the neponset was, and the neponset wasn't a limited run either.

Glad to hear it.

I remember when the Neponsets were first released. The big deal on them, of course, was that they had music nibs. But the pens were really too large and heavy for me (Konrads, OTOH, are a perfect size, but only have the #6 "flex" nibs on them).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Glad to hear it.

I remember when the Neponsets were first released. The big deal on them, of course, was that they had music nibs. But the pens were really too large and heavy for me (Konrads, OTOH, are a perfect size, but only have the #6 "flex" nibs on them).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I'm pretty sure the nibs are the same size, so you could swap the Neponset nib and feed over to a Konrad if that's what you're after. Sadly I don't think Noodler's sell the Music nib on it's own, so we are talking about a lot if money...

Got one of them in today. I didn't mess with the noodlers nib, but it felt pretty standard to the nib creaper. It's softer than the ahab/konrad for sure, I'd say a vintage semi-flex.

But I put a waterman #2 ideal XXF wet noodle in it from a 52 1/2 V. Fit is PERFECT, this nib was meant for this pen. I'll post a pic in a bit, but even if you have to use the steel nib, this pen isn't a gimmick like the neponset. this is a genuinely great fountain pen. The slide action is firm and lovely, the build quality is good, it just feels absolutely outstanding in the hand and I can't wait to spend more time with it.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

One of the two I ordered should be here by tuesday.

All 4 that I ordered have already shipped and I should be getting all of them by Tuesday too.

Got one of them in today. I didn't mess with the noodlers nib, but it felt pretty standard to the nib creaper. It's softer than the ahab/konrad for sure, I'd say a vintage semi-flex.

But I put a waterman #2 ideal XXF wet noodle in it from a 52 1/2 V. Fit is PERFECT, this nib was meant for this pen. I'll post a pic in a bit, but even if you have to use the steel nib, this pen isn't a gimmick like the neponset. this is a genuinely great fountain pen. The slide action is firm and lovely, the build quality is good, it just feels absolutely outstanding in the hand and I can't wait to spend more time with it.

That's nice to hear. I'm hoping that this safety pen can write out of the box without any issues.

Well, I just had to clean one out. Went through a full filling. It wrote nice, but it skipped like mad. I chalked it up to using a dip pen ink instead of a fountain pen ink, so I thoroughly washed out and flossed tines and tried again with a fountain pen-specific ink. Also tried resetting the feed to open it up a little more. Still skipping, but less so. Enjoying it very much, but the skipping is a bit of a downer.

That's nice to hear. I'm hoping that this safety pen can write out of the box without any issues.

I put the original nib back in to play with it and noticed it was a little prone to skipping. washed the feed to remove any potential machining residue and it cleared right up. Flow is fantastic, nib is a somewhat toothy FM so a little smoothing may be in order, but it's far from bad.

I'm going to put up a review in a few minutes.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Honeybadgers

Thanks for the fantastic review on another thread.

Can I ask how did you exactly wash the feed? Did you pull the feed and nib out and then scrub the feed with soap and water or did you disassemble the pen?

I put the original nib back in to play with it and noticed it was a little prone to skipping. washed the feed to remove any potential machining residue and it cleared right up. Flow is fantastic, nib is a somewhat toothy FM so a little smoothing may be in order, but it's far from bad.

I'm going to put up a review in a few minutes.

Honeybadgers

Can I ask how did you exactly wash the feed? Did you pull the feed and nib out and then scrub the feed with soap and water or did you disassemble the pen?

Exactly!

Honeybadgers

No need to disassemble. Pull the feed and nib straight out (this is how you remove the nib/feed on all noodlers pens) and then scrub it with a toothbrush and a drop of dish soap dissolved in about a half cup of warm water.

Personally, my "scrubbing" came from just tossing it in the $20 ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (with about the same ratio of water and soap) that I think every pen owner should have

I did what Honeybadgers did as well. Just pulled nib and feed and brushed with toothbrush. I still have a bit of skipping with the fountain pen ink (Platinum Carbon Black). But it is diminishing. I’m going to keep at it and see if it goes away entirely. Then go back to that dip pen ink I was using before and seeing if the problem is gone. This ink should supposedly work just fine in a safety pen.

Eharriet, just be aware that you shouldn't use the pen uncapped for more than about five minutes before you "dip" the nib back in the pen and give it a shake, because the solvent will be evaporating as you write and leave the pigments on the feed. capping and shaking regularly should re-dissolve it.

I really want a big bottle of the noodlers committee of safety inks. I don't want the 1ml bottles, I hope they re-release the big bottles.

Eharriet, just be aware that you shouldn't use the pen uncapped for more than about five minutes before you "dip" the nib back in the pen and give it a shake, because the solvent will be evaporating as you write and leave the pigments on the feed. capping and shaking regularly should re-dissolve it.

I really want a big bottle of the noodlers committee of safety inks. I don't want the 1ml bottles, I hope they re-release the big bottles.

You may be right. I did not cap and reshake. I didn’t think it was necessary since this still had a feed to it where ink would continue to drop into it as it writes. This bares a little more experimentation, but I want to get that ink flowing freely first before I put non fp ink back into it. I expect it to flow for pages at a time, and from the way the mechanism was described, I expected to get a continuous flow with just about any ink.

I have the black and blue bottles of that ink. I haven’t tried it yet. But that is on my to do list. On the vid, he showed an unreleased color, a red. And it was a beautiful red. I am really hoping to get that one day once his supply constraints are solved.