Noodlers Boston Safety Pen

Dave_g

What is special about this pen that can have any type of ink compared to another ebonite pen? I do not speak English well and in Nathan's videos I understand very little. My shipment is also on the way.

When you close the pen the nib retracts into the barrel, so it is bathed in ink, not in contact with air. Thus the inks which would normally dry out, clog the feed, and/or corrode the nib, won't.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• wallylynn

• Donald2

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds good, I've seen that it also sometimes pulls the tip spinning and sometimes just pushing, is there any significant direction in that?

I ordered 3. Its the first time I ever purchased more than one. I might give one as a gift. However, one will be my new exclusive journaling pen, I think. I want to put a different ink into it than I can put in a normal fountain pen. One I may want to try the nib swap that was suggested above. I was thinking it might be greedy of me to get three, but Ive never done that before and It really isnt too different from a person with a literal drawerful of Parker 51s.

I ordered 4 safety pens. I have the intention of using one and keeping the other 3 as back up pens.

I will more than likely use the 1 only occasionally around the house because I also have many other fountain pens, rollerballs and gel pens that I always use. I was thinking of also using it as an "occasional" carry pen, but I don't know if it would be safe enough to carry in my shirt or sweatshirt chest pocket. I'm afraid of it leaking out ink. Maybe others in here who are using this particular safety pen for everyday carry can tell me how safe that it would be to carry inside one's chest pocket.

Edited by Donald2

... how safe that it would be to carry inside one's chest pocket.

I'm wondering the same thing.

I know nothing about safety pens and it is scheduled to arrive Dec. 26th.

My biggest concern is that it will retract if I try to flex it too hard.

That would be a deal-breaker.

Edited by Bordeaux146

Traditionally a safety pen is air tight once it is capped, so safe to carry. In face, that is where the term "safety" came from. No leaking when flying, no leaking out onto your pocket.

The latest video did say that if you press hard to flex the nib, it should remain in place UNLESS the seals begin loosening up. Once that happens, he said you should be able to counterbalance the force of the push based on where you hold the pen.

My only question that hasn't been answered yet: if I want to use the pen for a long writing session, will ink continue to drip into the nib when it is extended while writing or will I need to rebathe it by retracting the pen for a second before I can continue writing?

Did you mean in your post above that the safety pen(s) that you ordered are going to be delivered to you on Dec. 26th or that are they due to arrive at Pen Chalet on that date for shipment to the customers who have pending orders who ordered them??

Also, it still says "Order complete, processing shipment" on my Pen Chalet account for the 4 safety pens that I ordered from them. Do you think that this means that all 4 pens will be shipped out on December 26th or will my order be delayed because of many other customers ordering this same pen before I ordered mine? What do you think is really going on here with the true availability of the safety pen and with all the orders that have already been made by me and by you and by everybody else who wants this particular pen? Do you think that we will be the first ones who will get the pen or do you think that our orders will be delayed because of not enough of these pens being made? What do you think?

Edited by Donald2

I ordered 4 safety pens. I have the intention of using one and keeping the other 3 as back up pens.

I will more than likely use the 1 only occasionally around the house because I also have many other fountain pens, rollerballs and gel pens that I always use. I was thinking of also using it as an "occasional" carry pen, but I don't know if it would be safe enough to carry in my shirt or sweatshirt chest pocket. I'm afraid of it leaking out ink. Maybe others in here who are using this particular safety pen for everyday carry can tell me how safe that it would be to carry inside one's chest pocket.

Very safe. They're safety pens. You can feel safer carrying this thing than you would any other pen, unless you manage to crack the barrel.

That sounds good, I've seen that it also sometimes pulls the tip spinning and sometimes just pushing, is there any significant direction in that?

Nope. Spinning it is unnecessary.

Perfectly safe, and it's got a really stiff seal. I own three already, and they won't retract. If you're flexing so hard you retract it, your nib is probably sprung and you have bigger problems.

Did you mean in your post above that the safety pen(s) that you ordered are going to be delivered to you on Dec. 26th

Yes...The tracking information I received indicates delivery on Tuesday the 26th.

I own three already, and they won't retract.

That makes me feel better.

I believe my flexing pressure is less than most others on account of nib modifications that I generally make.

Now for the question of pen length.

5 1/2"?....6"?

I have not heard how long it is.

Yes...The tracking information I received indicates delivery on Tuesday the 26th.

That makes me feel better.

I believe my flexing pressure is less than most others on account of nib modifications that I generally make.

Now for the question of pen length.

5 1/2"?....6"?

I have not heard how long it is.

Slightly over six inches capped. It's a loooong pen. Full dimensions here.

Yes...The tracking information I received indicates delivery on Tuesday the 26th

I don't have any tracking information whatsoever yet for any of my 4 separate orders for any of the 4 pens that I ordered. Do you think that this means that the Pen Chalet already sold out on all the safety pens that they just got in stock? Or do you think that they still have the safety pen in stock, but haven't shipped them all out yet? Does anyone know when they will get their next shipment in?? Will it take a few more weeks before receiving the pen? I was really hoping to get all 4 pens that I ordered before New Years. I now doubt that this will happen if they don't have anymore safety pens in stock and if there are tons of people who ordered this pen who haven't received it yet that are ahead of me.

Edited by Donald2

Thank you :)

That was a well prepared review and very nicely done.

Do you think that this means that the Pen Chalet already sold out on all the safety pens that they just got in stock?

I believe so.

Here is a link.

https://www.penchalet.com/sales/pre_order_sale.html

Have you tried a long writing session with it yet? If so, do you need to resubmerge it in ink after a bit because once extended the ink is cut off from the nib, or does ink continually drop into the feed while you are writing?

Thank you :)

That was a well prepared review and very nicely done.

I believe so.

Here is a link.

https://www.penchalet.com/sales/pre_order_sale.html

The Pen Chalet website currently shows that the Noodler's safety pen is completely sold out. It cannot even be ordered anymore. I wonder why it cannot be ordered anymore if the Pen Chalet is supposed to get more of these pens back in stock? Does anybody know why the safety pen cannot be ordered anymore on their website??? Does this mean that they will not get anymore of these particular pens back in stock ever again?

Edited by Donald2

Have you tried a long writing session with it yet? If so, do you need to resubmerge it in ink after a bit because once extended the ink is cut off from the nib, or does ink continually drop into the feed while you are writing?

Yep. It works just like any other fountain pen. I haven't used a bonding ink or anything yet though - with those, you're gonna want to resubmerge it and let it sit submerged and capped for a little while every few minutes.

The ink isn't cut off from the nib. The feed is fully functional.

The Pen Chalet website currently shows that the Noodler's safety pen is completely sold out. It cannot even be ordered anymore. I wonder why it cannot be ordered anymore if the Pen Chalet is supposed to get more of these pens back in stock? Does anybody know why the safety pen cannot be ordered anymore on their website??? Does this mean that they will not get anymore of these particular pens back in stock ever again?

There was nothing to that effect when I asked for notification as to when it was back in stock. :( And that was just a few days ago (Thursday or Friday, I think).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There was nothing to that effect when I asked for notification as to when it was back in stock. :( And that was just a few days ago (Thursday or Friday, I think).

If that's the case, then maybe they will get more in stock soon.

If that's the case, then maybe they will get more in stock soon.

I certainly hope so. I saw the most recent Noodler's video about it and some of the "Committee of Safety Inks", which someone posted the other day, and now I *really* want one of the pens.... Didn't get any of those inks at the Commonwealth Pen Show in September because the pens weren't really available at that point.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

More are coming, Ruth. This isn't a one-time deal. It's just a little spotty on initial delivery.

This pen seems to be a much bigger deal to people than the neponset was, and the neponset wasn't a limited run either.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)