• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• wallylynn

• Donald2

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do want an ebonite pen... But with so many mechanical going-ons, I also really want to see all the parts doing their thing.

But transparent ebonite does not exist... so...

Just so y'all know - this will be available either this week or next Monday at Pen Chalet! Limited numbers for this year (no one seems to be able to tell me how many) but more will be made next year. It's not yet decided if this will be a permanent offering.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's some news on the pen:

Definitely, I have to have one. Any news of who is the next distributor that will have it?

"I forgot to bring paper into the woods...."

The video is very informative, but that line early on just cracked me up. Okay, now I REALLY want one of these pens. And at least one or two colors of the special Committee of Safety inks (I didn't buy them at the Commonwealth Show because they're not good for standard FPs) -- although I gather regular ink will also work (?) in the safety pen as well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The video is very informative, but that line early on just cracked me up. Okay, now I REALLY want one of these pens. And at least one or two colors of the special Committee of Safety inks (I didn't buy them at the Commonwealth Show because they're not good for standard FPs) -- although I gather regular ink will also work (?) in the safety pen as well.

Yes, it'll take any ink that's safe for ebonite.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

When will the Noodler's Boston Safety Pen be in stock at the Pen Chalet? I just put my order in for a few of them. Did the Pen chalet have them in stock and sell out on them or are they waiting to get them in stock? Which is it?

Just about any ink. (bleep), you could thin shellac with denatured alcohol and write with that! I'm actually planning to do that, just because I can now. You could also write with urushi, with latex paint, or... literally anything. I've been using a 1:1:1:1:1 mix of BSB, Rachmaninoff, Dostoevsky, Berning Red, and Private Reserve Spearmint in mine with no problems. Makes a very nice grey ink with some greenish blue undertones. I've never liked anything teal before, but this is pretty ink. I mixed it like this because these were the most noxious inks I could think of, and wanted to do it just because I can.

The only concerns are if it's safe for ebonite, if it's safe for the o-rings (which can be replaced with cork or Viton o-rings if necessary - both will withstand harsher chemicals), and if it's safe for steel. If you replace the nib, then it's gotta be safe for gold too, but just about anything that's safe for steel is safe for gold. I'm selling titanium replacements for the cap rod, since I don't want the steel rod to corrode and have my nib get crushed. Figured I should offer the same security to others.

When will the Noodler's Boston Safety Pen be in stock at the Pen Chalet? I just put my order in for a few of them. Did the Pen chalet have them in stock and sell out on them or are they waiting to get them in stock? Which is it?

Next week. They're on pre-order. They're also taking pre-orders for their next shipment after this one.

It's shipped! It's shipped!

I doubt that Chalet Pens got any stock in yet. My order with them says "Order Complete, Processing Shipment" whatever that means. It's been showing this on their order page for the last 24 hours since last night. I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Pen Chalet got any of the Noodler's Boston Safety Pens in stock yet.

Pen chalet said they expected 30 or 40 on this first shipment. I think more will be on the way more regularly now. No idea when they'll restock, but I doubt it'll be overly long.

Pen Chalet shouldn't be shipping anything until the week after christmas, per them.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Pen chalet said they expected 30 or 40 on this first shipment. I think more will be on the way more regularly now. No idea when they'll restock, but I doubt it'll be overly long.

Pen Chalet shouldn't be shipping anything until the week after christmas, per them.

Does anybody know whether or not the expected 30 or 40 first shipment of Safety pens that will be delivered to the Pen Chalet have already been sold out yet? Also, do you think that there are many people who actually purchased more than 1 (one) Safety pen?

Just now I have placed a pre-order with pen chalet as well.

Apparently it allowed me to place the order. Whether that means that not all 30-40 are sold out yet I cannot say.

It is still accepting pre-orders even after mine has been placed and Ive gotten confirmation for my order.

Ill be interested to see what nib can be swapped into this one. Maybe a jowo #5.

Maybe its not highly advisable but Im thinking of using it as EDC to see how it fares.

Just now I have placed a pre-order with pen chalet as well.

Apparently it allowed me to place the order. Whether that means that not all 30-40 are sold out yet I cannot say.

It is still accepting pre-orders even after mine has been placed and Ive gotten confirmation for my order.

Ill be interested to see what nib can be swapped into this one. Maybe a jowo #5.

Maybe its not highly advisable but Im thinking of using it as EDC to see how it fares.

I placed an order for a few safety pens and it allowed me to place the orders too. I'm also thinking of using mine as EDC too in rotation with my other fountain pens and rollerballs.

Edited by Donald2

Also, do you think that there are many people who actually purchased more than 1 (one) Safety pen?

I ordered 3. It’s the first time I ever purchased more than one. I might give one as a gift. However, one will be my new exclusive journaling pen, I think. I want to put a different ink into it than I can put in a normal fountain pen. One I may want to try the nib swap that was suggested above. I was thinking it might be greedy of me to get three, but I’ve never done that before and It really isn’t too different from a person with a literal drawerful of Parker 51’s.

What is special about this pen that can have any type of ink compared to another ebonite pen? I do not speak English well and in Nathan's videos I understand very little. My shipment is also on the way.