Noodlers Boston Safety Pen

Dave_g

Just got delivery of my 2 Chestnut colored ones today. I haven't been home to open up the package yet. Now I have a total of 8 Noodler's black and 2 Noodler's chestnut Boston Safety fountain pens in my stash. I haven't inked up or used any of them yet. They're all sitting inside their Noodler's factory boxes.

Edited by Donald2

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• wallylynn

• Donald2

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the part number. Do you know the dimensions of the original vs the #036?

I bought the pen because I wanted to tinker. I was not expecting to need to replace parts on a brand new pen.

For now, I'll try regreasing the orings. Before, I used some plumbing silicone grease. But its less sticky than the grease I got from the pen shop. Maybe that'll work better. I have some beeswax. I wonder if that can serve a purpose.

Unfortunately, I don't have the greatest of calipers but I will try..

The original o-ring (top in photo), I am getting 13/64 x 19/64 x 7/128

The replacement no. 36 (bottom in photo), is 3/16 x 5/16 x 1/16

They are very close in size but the 36 has a smaller inner diameter and is a bit thicker. It provided just enough of an extra seal to fix the leaking issue I was experiencing. I really think it may remedy yours as well. Let me know if you need anything else

post-142028-0-86036300-1520718109_thumb.jpeg

Why buy them if you aren't going to use them, or at least one of each color?

I'm planning on using all of them and putting a different color ink in each one. I just haven't had the time to fiddle with them and use them because I've been busy.

Edited by Donald2

I had a mixed track record with this pen.

1. I ordered a black one from Pen Chalet and it leaked from cap. When I removed the cap, the section would be covered in ink.

2. Pen Chalet replaced it, no questions asked. Theb replacement not only had the same problem as the first one, but also leaked from the other end.

3. Pen Chalet refunded me promptly, and I wrote this pen off.

4. I saw the chestnut one on Vanness and figured I'd give it a try. Good call... this one works flawlessly.

There are clearly some quality-control issues with this pen, but when they work, they work great.

When my friends and I took our black pens apart, there didn't seem to be any silicone grease. I think that might be the issue. We did this BEFORE trying the pens out. I just read that Dan Smith's site said not to take them apart unless they aren't sealing properly (so he means leaking I guess), if I remember right. Our first set of pens did not come from Dan. We went ahead and greased the o-rings, and the threads. All 3 of those pens worked with no issues. Maybe in the rush to get the pens out on time, the people putting them together neglected to grease the o-rings and threads? I don't know, it is just a guess. If you do decide to take it apart, watch the videos first!!! Remember to turn the pen knob clockwise as you push the nib up. Otherwise that may cause an issue. If it isn't turning easily, don't just shove it straight up. TURN that knob. I think maybe some people are missing that. Once you have it lubed, you shouldn't need to do that again for a very long time.

Edited by KKay

That could explain the leaking from the back, but not the two pens I had that leaked from the cap. There are no o-rings to grease on that end of the pen. I think there is some defect in the machining of either the cap or barrel threads in these cases.

Edited by alanlight

There is a flat seal in that cap. You have to know what you are doing to grease it. It is easy to break the housing in the cap, if you do it wrong. (be gentle in that area in other words) I wrote about that in an earlier post, I believe. I couldn't turn the threads on the pens to take it apart, by hand. So my friend did that for me. He also took care of that seal in the cap. I cleaned inside the pen, and the nib and feed. I applied grease to the rest. (except that flat seal in the cap-he did that)

Edited by KKay

I don't have leaking from the cap, although ink does get on the threads.

Just flushed it, and put a collar of beeswax between the o-rings (like a 3rd o-ring). I didn't order new thicker o-rings yet, although they're in my shopping cart. I wonder if the squishiness of the wax can work to expand and fill the spaces.

Why are the colors always swirly? I would have liked a solid brown. In bright light, my black safety does have a subtle dark grey swirl and a few speckles on the barrel. Not the cap, or sleeve, just the main barrel.

I don't know about using a beeswax collar, I wouldn't do that.

If you get the ebonite in direct sunlight, you will fade it. If you wash the outside of the pen with warm water, I think I heard that will fade it. If you must get the outside wet, use cool water, and wipe it off IMMEDIATELY.

Maybe they will come out with solid color ebonite in the future, but I doubt that. (besides the black of course)

I had a mixed track record with this pen.

1. I ordered a black one from Pen Chalet and it leaked from cap. When I removed the cap, the section would be covered in ink.

2. Pen Chalet replaced it, no questions asked. Theb replacement not only had the same problem as the first one, but also leaked from the other end.

3. Pen Chalet refunded me promptly, and I wrote this pen off.

4. I saw the chestnut one on Vanness and figured I'd give it a try. Good call... this one works flawlessly.

There are clearly some quality-control issues with this pen, but when they work, they work great.

What do you think caused the leaks in those 2 places?

Well, it looks like the inside of the cap has to seal against the opening in the barrel. Something was likely off in the machining of either the cap, the barrel or both.

Well, it looks like the inside of the cap has to seal against the opening in the barrel. Something was likely off in the machining of either the cap, the barrel or both.

I hope that I don't run into this issue with all of mine. I purchased 1 black back in December, then 4 more black in February and the 2 chestnut in March that I just got delivery two days ago. I haven't had the time to ink up any of them. After reading your post on the problem that you just encountered with your 2 Boston Safety pens, I'm now worried that I may have the bad luck just like you did of receiving one or more of these particular safety pens with the defective machining of the cap or barrel just like you did. I hope that there are no manufacturing defects with these pens.

Test them with water before inking. Will save you a lot of mess in the event you do have an issue.

Test them with water before inking. Will save you a lot of mess in the event you do have an issue.

☝️It's a must!

Better to be safe than colorfully splattered!

What do you think caused the leaks in those 2 places?

I didn't see any defects in mine. But I guess the tolerances need to be extremely precise. My pen seemed to be airtight, I couldn't blow any through. But somehow, there was still enough room for seepage, but not enough for obvious dripping.

I got my Chestnut Boston Safety Pen yesterday. The design is a little different inside. There is no seal in the cap. Cleaned the pen. This pen did have silicone applied. It does not leak, and writes extremely well. I did not have to make one adjustment to the nib, and it wrote beautifully. The nib and feed were most likely pressure fit, and very hard to pull out. The pen is the exact same size as the black one. I love the Chestnut exterior. The nib wrote even better than the black pen's nib. I am thrilled with my two pens. Note: Today I shook the pen rigorously and it did not leak anywhere. It writes nice and wet, and is very smooth for a steel nib. It will loosen up a little with more use. It also does have line variation. It is a winner in my opinion!

I got my Chestnut Boston Safety Pen yesterday. The design is a little different inside. There is no seal in the cap. Cleaned the pen. This pen did have silicone applied. It does not leak, and writes extremely well. I did not have to make one adjustment to the nib, and it wrote beautifully. The nib and feed were most likely pressure fit, and very hard to pull out. The pen is the exact same size as the black one. I love the Chestnut exterior. The nib wrote even better than the black pen's nib. I am thrilled with my two pens. Note: Today I shook the pen rigorously and it did not leak anywhere. It writes nice and wet, and is very smooth for a steel nib. It will loosen up a little with more use. It also does have line variation. It is a winner in my opinion!

That’s awesome KKay! My black doesn’t have a seal in the cap. I just applied silicone to the threads when reassembling it, and a leak there has never been an issue. After reading the positive experience you have had with the chestnut, I’m super excited to get mine inked up and gliding across some pages! I hope that I have the same luck as you ☘️ and that what you are describing becomes the consistent standard with this new run of Boston Safety's.

Same here. I actually got 3 black ones, but only inked up one. Was thinking of selling the other two and getting a Chestnut.