The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodlers Boston Safety Pen

noodlers boston safety pen boston safety pen

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dave_g

Dave_g

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 20:52

HERE is a link to my initial observations from using the new Noodlers Boston Safety Pen with a couple of inks and writing samples.

I was able to buy the pen because I attended the New England (Boston) Pen Show.

Hope you like it.

Dave

Sponsored Content

#2 JTC

JTC

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2017 - 22:06

Cool video! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. :)

#3 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2017 - 22:42

Thanks for the review. I'm tempted to get one.

#4 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2017 - 00:55

It looks suspiciously like a Moore Non-Leakable eyedropper filler!  I have a collection of Moores, made in Boston in the early 1900's.  It is interesting that Noodler's has a striking resemblance.  I have three of my Moore pens pictured below.

Attached Images

• 3 Moore Non-Leakable Pens.jpg

Edited by linearM, 27 September 2017 - 00:57.

#5 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• 1,995 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:35

I think Mr. Tardif was attempting to emulate the Moore pens with some improvements in the mechanism. It was a long video and I'll admit my attention was in and out.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#6 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:11

Moore made safety pens but the ebonite interior rods tend to break and be brittle and you can damage the nib when capping. Noodler's has made an ebonite safety pen with a metal rod and a safety feature for the capping so as not to damage the nib. It won't leak with the nib extended, but with the nib closed you should always open it pointing up or it will leak. Being a pen favoured by artists he made some nice inks to go with the pen (not for normal fountain pen use)....which may or may not be released and the pen will be released....at some point. But it will cost $55. It has a small steel nib.

Now.....it took Nathan 2 hours and 20 minutes to let everyone know this info. I do love Noodler's and I do enjoy his rambling from time to time, but boy oh boy did he lose the run of himself on this one! He could have said it all in about five minutes!

#7 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2017 - 13:26

I doubt Noodler's nibs will be better than the Moore nibs, one reason I started collecting them.  In the later versions of the Non Leakable there was provision to prevent a cap being put on with an extended nib.  I imagine the Noodler's will have a better solution than the Moore's cork.  Being someone who loves to draw I may just have to get one of Noodler's Boston safey's.

#8 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,710 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 14:11

I've never heard of a safety pen. I want one just for the novelty. Maybe it'll even become my EDC. The regular noodlers dry out so quickly.

#9 acute

acute

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 23:06

I do hope some pen retailers pick upon this pen. I'd love to get hold of a couple, as well as some of the ink, although it sounds as if one can use india ink in these.

#10 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 14:29

Does anyone know if these are going to be widely available? I can't find any place to buy them. I really want one!

#11 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 21:27

Does anyone know if these are going to be widely available? I can't find any place to buy them. I really want one!

Goulet Pens did a live Instagram video yesterday, and answered the question re availability by saying these pens are not in mass production yet. So you may have somewhat longer to wait!

#12 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2017 - 22:37

Goulet Pens did a live Instagram video yesterday, and answered the question re availability by saying these pens are not in mass production yet. So you may have somewhat longer to wait!

That's OK I don't need to spend any more money right now. But some day!

#13 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2017 - 00:57

I was at the Commonwealth Show and didn't realize the the safety pens were even for sale there.  I did ask Nathan how much they would be when they go into production (he was apparently having some issues trying to get all the mechanism be made out of ebonite, I think he said).

Did you get the pen with the special inks just for it?  I looked at those (some of the colors were quite nice) but decided to hold off.  I did get a bottle of Brexit from the people from the UK who were kitty corner to the Noodler's table.

Of course, there's a part of me who wishes he'd come out with more colors of the ebonite Konrads....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#14 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:19

I was at the Commonwealth Show and didn't realize the the safety pens were even for sale there.  I did ask Nathan how much they would be when they go into production (he was apparently having some issues trying to get all the mechanism be made out of ebonite, I think he said).

Did you get the pen with the special inks just for it?  I looked at those (some of the colors were quite nice) but decided to hold off.  I did get a bottle of Brexit from the people from the UK who were kitty corner to the Noodler's table.

Of course, there's a part of me who wishes he'd come out with more colors of the ebonite Konrads....

well this is just the 1st edition... i'm sure more design would show up later.... and i'm hoping for a demostrator version even though that is most likely not going to happen...

#15 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,710 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 14:58

and i'm hoping for a demostrator version even though that is most likely not going to happen...

Why didn't I think of that? That would be awesome! I just hope it doesn't yellow like the other 3 noodlers clear that I have.

#16 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 00:21

Why didn't I think of that? That would be awesome! I just hope it doesn't yellow like the other 3 noodlers clear that I have.

Not sure you can get a demonstrator that's ebonite....  My impression from what Nathan said is that he wants any part of the pen (with, I guess, the exception of the nib, or course) in contact with the ink to be ebonite.

Although I *suppose* you could possibly design a safety pen in some sort of clear plastic....  Me, I'll wait for the ebonite.  Ebonite just has such a nice warmth to it in your hand.  

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#17 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,710 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 18:58

I do want an ebonite pen... But with so many mechanical going-ons, I also really want to see all the parts doing their thing.

#18 gerigo

gerigo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 19:34

Any one have any indication when this pen will see general release?

#19 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 23:28

Any one have any indication when this pen will see general release?

I thought it was due very soon, but haven't seen anything about them since.

#20 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:23

I do want an ebonite pen... But with so many mechanical going-ons, I also really want to see all the parts doing their thing.

finally, someone who understand XD

Sponsored Content

|