The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Italic Vs Oblique Nib

nib italic oblique montblanc 144 meisterstuck

22 replies to this topic

#21 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2017 - 20:46

Hi,

Can someone explain to me the difference between an italic and an oblique nib? 

ok simply put:

nibs are rounded XF (.25-.35 mm) - F (.35-.5 mm) - M (.5-.7  mm)- B (.7-1 mm)- BB (1-1.2 mm) etc - equal line widths top to bottom an left to right and cross strokes

stubs - any of the above (more so with broader nibs) are squarish on the end - slightly thinner cross strokes than vertical

stubs ground thinner horizontally to produce thinner (italic) and even thinner (cursive italic) cross strokes while the down stroke remains the same. italics and cursive italics are more demanding in their use. rough analogy a pack of 52 cards (stub) reduced to 26  (italic) reduced to 13 (cursive italic)

if the tip of the nib is obliquely ground instead of horizontally it becomes an oblique, left oblique - if the left tine is shorter (analogy left oxford boot toe),  thinner stroke right top to left bottom, better suited for left to right writing eg english, or right oblique if the right tine  is shorter (analogy right oxford boot toe) thinner stroke left top to right bottom, better suited for right to left writing eg arabic. technically you can have an oblique rounded, stub or italic, but most are by nature stubbish

hope that helps!!

Edited by jslallar, 05 October 2017 - 20:48.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

Sponsored Content

#22 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2017 - 21:25

ok simply put:

nibs are rounded XF (.25-.35 mm) - F (.35-.5 mm) - M (.5-.7  mm)- B (.7-1 mm)- BB (1-1.2 mm) etc - equal line widths top to bottom an left to right and cross strokes

stubs - any of the above (more so with broader nibs) are squarish on the end - slightly thinner cross strokes than vertical

stubs ground thinner horizontally to produce thinner (italic) and even thinner (cursive italic) cross strokes while the down stroke remains the same. italics and cursive italics are more demanding in their use. rough analogy a pack of 52 cards (stub) reduced to 26  (italic) reduced to 13 (cursive italic)

if the tip of the nib is obliquely ground instead of horizontally it becomes an oblique, left oblique - if the left tine is shorter (analogy left oxford boot toe),  thinner stroke right top to left bottom, better suited for left to right writing eg english, or right oblique if the right tine  is shorter (analogy right oxford boot toe) thinner stroke left top to right bottom, better suited for right to left writing eg arabic. technically you can have an oblique rounded, stub or italic, but most are by nature stubbish

hope that helps!!

That's a nice explanation.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#23 TheMajestic

TheMajestic

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:12

ok simply put:

hope that helps!!

Wonderful explanation, thanks a lot bhaisaab! 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, italic, oblique, montblanc, 144, meisterstuck

Sponsored Content

|