Loctite 480 (Or Other Cas) For Bchr Repair Longevity

MercianScribe

I should post the completed pen with new cap ring Roger Wolfe made up for me when I have a moment.

In the meantime, looks like I was sold fake 480 all right - just ran a few simple viscosity, hardness and solvent tests. I should post the bottle labels later as well so youve been warned. The real 480 is actually pretty awesome and not rubbery and quite hard once cured.

When my Loctitie 480 gets old, it gets viscous and does not cure correctly. Anotehr possibility is that it was a bottle exposed to heat, etc and was in the act of expiring.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• siamackz

• Stylomeister

• MercianScribe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used 480 once, shut it right and kept it away for 2 months. It was hard as a rock the next time I reached for it! Is this normal?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I agree with the finite shelf life of 480, certainly after the bottle is open. I am fortunate to live in a metropolitan area which if full of Aerospace industry. There are industrial supply houses which actually stock 480, close by. In wishing to get my money's worth, I lined up several HR repairs before I purchased a "fresh" bottle, as mine had congealed. The bottle that I bought had already turned to gum. A talk with the vendor revealed that they don't have a sell by date, and that the bottle may have been in their stock for years, as it is a slow seller. I plan to order from a source which can verify recent batch date.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

I keep mine in the fridge, but I don't know if that helps or hurts. So far, bottles all last for many many months, but eventually turn thick and rubbery.

For whatever my experience is worth, I bought from Amazon, on a listing that states "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." hoping that they would have more turnover and fresher stock.

Seems to last about a year, kept in fridge, but I let it warm to room temp before using, and usually sits on the bench a few days when in use.

EDIT - My bottle has an expiration date. If no one minds, I will link to the exact Amazon product that came with a full year to the expiration date

fpn_1513823912__lt480_01.jpg fpn_1513823919__lt480_02.jpg

Edited by Greenie

Would the result be very different if I used super glue? I have a plastic barrel with a crack at the threads

Totally different result. Superglue is brittle and dries white, or sort of white. Loctite 480 is black and has some "give" to it so it holds up better with a little stress to the bond.

Totally different result. Superglue is brittle and dries white, or sort of white. Loctite 480 is black and has some "give" to it so it holds up better with a little stress to the bond.

got it, thanks

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Just placing an order for some of those clamps to try out.

...I think you need a squiveland matrix retainer which is not tapered and uses straight stainless bands.

Edited by Stylomeister

Just placing an order for some of those clamps to try out.

...I think you need a squiveland matrix retainer which is not tapered and uses straight stainless bands.

Interesting. I was not aware of this clamp. Looks like it will also work. And no need to adjust the end to make it straight. But seems more complex to set up... But it also looks like it might be a better clamp once set up.

Here is a video of how to use the squiveland clamp. I might have to order those to compare to the tofflemire

These are called Toffelmire dental bands. They're essential for any kind of gluing or solvent welding - and many other uses too. They're available at quite a low cost on eBay - the key words are toffelmire dental band.

You can use either stainless or brass shim stock for the bands, which can be cut to length with a pair of scissors. There are sellers who have the stainless band material as well.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

These are called Toffelmire dental bands. They're essential for any kind of gluing or solvent welding - and many other uses too. They're available at quite a low cost on eBay - the key words are toffelmire dental band.

You can use either stainless or brass shim stock for the bands, which can be cut to length with a pair of scissors. There are sellers who have the stainless band material as well.

Don't use the Scotch 33+ tape anymore?

I can see why it is not clear which is real. The one on the left, in English, seems to have some reproduction quality issues. Other than that, no real way to tell.

In a prior post on this thread I shared a link to my last order from Amazon, which includes an expiration date. I received a good quality product with that order.

Thanks for the link, Greenie.

Stylomeister: I don't think I'd be able to tell which is the fake, from your picture? Neither of them look very authentic and I don't have a bottle at hand, to compare. The language on the label may be the give-away, but could also be packaging for a foriegn market? Is there a noticable difference in the quality of the glue itself (fake vs real)?

And, just for the record, which is the genuine one?

Thanks.