The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Is The 2000 Steel Worth The Money

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2017 - 20:40

I bought the Stainless Steel version (EF), liked it a lot and sold the Makrolon one a couple of months later (too light for my taste). Great daily workhorse.

Sponsored Content

#22 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 00:00

I finally had the chance to try a stainless steel one today.  It may be heavier than the Makrolon, but the balance makes it easier to hold.  

#23 DJB2903

DJB2903

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2017 - 13:24

Going straight from Makrolon to SS, the SS feels very heavy (as commonly noted) and initially I wasn't sure if I liked the extra weight.

However, I inked the SS last week after a fair break from both versions and I really enjoyed it - especially the weight.

Therefore, I think it's worth owning the SS in its own right (if you can afford), but perhaps unfair to directly compare it to the Makrolon version. Even though they are the same design, the weight difference puts them in different classes.

I think a lot of the SS hating comes from an expectation that it will be like the Makrolon version in a different finish, when it's really a different beast altogether.

#24 minddance

minddance

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 15:22

Had a stainless steel, returned for refund: way too slippery. Settled for Makrolon Fine nib. Its sweet spot, which isn't the sweetest of spots, often escapes me. I am still trying to get acquainted with it after more than a year.

Sponsored Content

|