Is The 2000 Steel Worth The Money

Tom_Moritz

Hello Everyone,

I'm sitting currently at a crossroads in which I could buy one of two pens. At this point those two pens are the Lamy 2000 full stainless or the Sheaffer Imperial Sovereign, and I'm not sure which to buy now and which to put off.

I own a Makrolon Lamy 2000 and I love it. While I've often wished it was heavier I'm somewhat gun shy of the 60 gram behemoth that is the full steel variant. I'm also concerned the brushed texture on the 2000 wont hold up over time. The steel section on my 2000 has small, but noticeable pock marks. As I take unnecessary care of the pen, I can only imagine these small imperfections are due to corrosion. At one time I put Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape in the pen and never realized the nib creep seeped into the cap. It look me weeks to get it all out.

Does anyone here have any insight into long term ownership of the 2000 steel?

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Tom_Moritz

• Ron Z

• alwayssunnyalwaysreal

I purchased the Lamy 200 Stainless Steel pen, without having tried the Makrolon 2000, because I dislike black pens. I got a wonderful OBB nib, but have never enjoyed using the pen; it seems very slippery & the weight is not pleasant for me. Almost two years later I purchased from MASSDROP the Makrolon 2000 & altho it is merely a broad nib, I find I reach for & enjoy use of the pen, while the Stainless Steel one is avoided.

I couldn't comment on the durability of the finish because one pen is "used" & the earlier SS purchase sits in a leather sleeve, inside a pot of pens & is seldom put to use. I know the "slipperyness" that bothers me is NOT merely the section, because they both have the SS section, but is the combination of the extended SS body, with added weight of same.

As always this is merely ONE owner/user's opinion & many people may prefer or be happy with the SS pen; I would just caution trying one prior to purchase. (I actually like the brushed SS design of the pen more than the color of the Makrolon, but the textured finish of the Makolon redeems itself, despite the color.)

I purchased the Lamy 200 Stainless Steel pen, without having tried the Makrolon 2000, because I dislike black pens. I got a wonderful OBB nib, but have never enjoyed using the pen; it seems very slippery & the weight is not pleasant for me. Almost two years later I purchased from MASSDROP the Makrolon 2000 & altho it is merely a broad nib, I find I reach for & enjoy use of the pen, while the Stainless Steel one is avoided.

I couldn't comment on the durability of the finish because one pen is "used" & the earlier SS purchase sits in a leather sleeve, inside a pot of pens & is seldom put to use. I know the "slipperyness" that bothers me is NOT merely the section, because they both have the SS section, but is the combination of the extended SS body, with added weight of same.

As always this is merely ONE owner/user's opinion & many people may prefer or be happy with the SS pen; I would just caution trying one prior to purchase. (I actually like the brushed SS design of the pen more than the color of the Makrolon, but the textured finish of the Makolon redeems itself, despite the color.)

OBB? That's wild my friend. I've never used anything bigger than a broad nib. I ten to prefer fine or extra fines my self. Lamy's fine to me is more a medium. Sad to hear that your pen doesn't see much action my friend. I typically hear the weight is well balanced but maybe not for everyone. I wish there was a way to demo these pens.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

Hi CC,

My general, uninformed advice would be to skip it. I say uninformed because I do not own; nor have I tried out the SS L2K. However, I do own other pens that are only 45-50 grams in weight and they give me hand cramps if I write more than a couple paragraphs, (and I'm a healthy 49 y.o. man who plays tennis and golf; i.e., I do not have any other health issues that would cause my hands to ache).

If you're just going to use it for quick notes, initialing or signing; it would probably be alright... but as a writing pen... I'd avoid it. ;)

Just my two cents. Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Just to follow-up... I would also concur with you the pitting to your L2K's section was probably caused by Bay State Concord... those inks are very alkaline and alkali's will pit and corrode steel. :(

- A.C.

I have had two of them. Note the past tense. They're very cool, well made pens, and some people really like them. I on the other hand, found them to be too heavy, so sold them.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I bought my Lamy 2000 Makrolon (F) long ago and like it quite a lot. But I don't really find the material that interesting or modern looking. Therefore later I bought the Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel (M). Then I almost stopped using my Makrolon version ever since.

Personally I find the Lamy 2000 Makrolon too light, while the Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel has the right weight.

The only complaint that I have about the stainless steel version is no ink window. But I have many pens without ink windows, so that's not a major concern.

My stainless steel version was brand new, but it came with a small imperfection on the brushed finish. With normal use I don't see those scratches getting any less obvious, as the material is very durable. Of course I wish the pen is perfect, but comparing to the Makrolon version, the brushed finish on the stainless steel version definitely holds up way better.

Edited by alwayssunnyalwaysreal

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

I had two steel ones and sold one. The one I kept is for the looks: it's beautiful. However I prefer the black macrolon for writing since the steel one is very heavy.

Just to follow-up... I would also concur with you the pitting to your L2K's section was probably caused by Bay State Concord... those inks are very alkaline and alkali's will pit and corrode steel. :(

- A.C.

Thanks for your input Anthony, much appreciated. I was worried about the pen being too heavy, but then again my lovely 51 I bought from PenFisher disappears in my grip un-posted.

I also have to take you for confirming that my thoughts. I've stopped using that stuff, despite my love for the color. I've just stopped using Noodler's altogether to be honest. I should see if there is a way to mend the finish without sending it Lamy. While they'll fix or replace it, but that would be ten dollars and two weeks without my pen.

The only complaint that I have about the stainless steel version is no ink window. But I have many pens without ink windows, so that's not a major concern.

My stainless steel version was brand new, but it came with a small imperfection on the brushed finish. With normal use I don't see those scratches getting any less obvious, as the material is very durable. Of course I wish the pen is perfect, but comparing to the Makrolon version, the brushed finish on the stainless steel version definitely holds up way better.

It's funny I never found the window particularly useful, being honest. That said on the steel model it shakes up the design considerably in my opinion. That imperfection would have driven me through a wall, though I would agree the steel would be more rugged than the Makrolon, and the Makrolon is tough!

I own one and it a daily, workhorse pen. I always found the 2K to be too light. The steel makes it perfect. The only drawback is the cap if you need to post: the pen then very unbalanced. I generally post the 2k and I am using a makrolon cap, making the pen perfect IMHO. So the answer is YES, but depending heavily on your needs and writing habits.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Thanks for your input Anthony, much appreciated. I was worried about the pen being too heavy, but then again my lovely 51 I bought from PenFisher disappears in my grip un-posted.

Hi CC,

You're more than welcome. :D

I know what you mean... I have larger hands with long fingers. I would go with the Sheaffer you mention... or... have you ever considered a Pilot Custom 74? They're nice large pens, (posted or un-posted), and they accept the high capacity Con-70 converter, too. I have one with a Soft Medium nib and love it. :thumbup:

I also have to thank you for confirming my thoughts. I've stopped using that stuff, despite my love for the color. I've just stopped using Noodler's altogether to be honest.

No problem.

I have had THREE new/unused pens, (that I ultrasonically cleaned first-

just to make sure), and they all seized up on me using BSB. I even tried a dip pen... and the nib rusted out overnight.

I ended up tossing the bottle... and the pens. :( I don't use Noodlers much anymore myself... even though I have a few bottles of it.

I should see if there is a way to mend the finish without sending it Lamy. While they'll fix or replace it, but that would be ten dollars and two weeks without my pen.

I hate to part with pens myself... I was nearly beside myself when I had to send off a 1923-25 Duofold... :D ...I always worry about loss/damage. But, if you ask me, it would be $10 and two weeks very well spent. ;)

Just my two cents. Be well. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

It's funny I never found the window particularly useful, being honest. That said on the steel model it shakes up the design considerably in my opinion. That imperfection would have driven me through a wall, though I would agree the steel would be more rugged than the Makrolon, and the Makrolon is tough!

I do prefer to have an ink window, if it can be designed and integrated well. But for the Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel, it doesn't matter to me.

I may actually try to use some sand paper to remove the scratches, I imagine just a few light and vertical moves can get everything resolved. I have had my pen for more than a year. Not even a single scratch that I can see from that pen!

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

Don't use sand paper. It never comes out right. I've had very good results with a red scratch pad carefully and lightly drawn in a straight line the length of the pen. Go one direction only, don't scrub.

edit to add: You could try try one of the gray ones first, which is less aggressive.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Have Black and Stainless versions. Got the metal 2000 just because I thought I had to have one. Will keep it but it is a bit heavy and tends to slip in my hand when trying to write with it.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Don't use sand paper. It never comes out right. I've had very good results with a red scratch pad carefully and lightly drawn in a straight line the length of the pen. Go one direction only, don't scrub.

Thank you for the advise!

...I've had very good results with a red scratch pad...

Hi Ron,

What's a red scratch pad... and where do I get one? :unsure:

- Anthony

A scratch pad that is red. They're often used in place of steel wool. You find them in the paint department at Lowes. Actually, I would try one of the gray ones first - a finer, less aggressive pad that may do what you want. The finish is a bit flat when you first do it (gently, not pressing hard, in one direction going the length of the barrel) - but that doesn't last long. The results are much like the original finish.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens