The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conklin Mark Twain Signature Levenger Limited Edition: Black (F)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:36

First Impressions
Itís a big pen. Nicely sized. Comes in a great big box.

Appearance
This one is an absolute stunner. Black w/sterling silver trim. Looks exquisite, and that big nib is cíest magnifique! This one would look very much at home at a black tie affair.

Design
Itís well-designed. Bonus points for the most comfortable section I think Iíve ever written with. Weight is very nicely balanced as well. This one wouldn't tire you out if you wrote with it for a couple of hours straight.

Nib
Itís big, two-toned 14k, and has a nice bit of spring to it! Looks terrific, and writes very nicely, too! When I got it, it was a medium nib and there were problems with the feed. I sent it back to Conklin and they promptly replaced the nib with a Fine, and a new feed. Upon getting it back and flushing it with a dishsoap/water mix, it worked great.

Filling System
Converter - nothing special here.

Cost and Value
For what I paid for it when purchasing it new...itís been the best pen value Iíve ever had. I kick myself once a day for selling it.

Conclusion
If you ever have the chance to get this pen (specifically, a Levenger LE), get it. The 14k nib is stellar, and the pen is just beautiful.

For pictures, see the thread here.

Edited by rroossinck, 19 July 2007 - 16:02.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Sponsored Content

#2 handlebar

handlebar

Long distance runner!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 15:00

Thanks for the review.I have one Conklin and like it very much.

JD

#3 CAA

CAA

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 20:57

Excellent review. What's the difference between the Levenger LE and the regular Mark Twain Signature? The 14K nib? The size of the pen?

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.--Groucho Marx

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.--President Obama's Chief of Staff

#4 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 21:25

14k nib and sterling furniture. Other than that, they're the same dimensions, etc.

#5 bdngrd

bdngrd

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:13

That is a great looking pen. I am going to have to try and find one. Thanks for the review.
The Danitrio Fellowship

#6 ikondave

ikondave

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:43

Just so happens that I am seriously looking at this pen for my next purchase. Would you say it's a large pen, something along the lines of a Pelikan Souveran 800? I have big hands and regular sized barrels just don't work for me. Very well written review by the way. Thanks.

#7 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 14:28

I had one of these and thought the 14k nib really made this pen. I would have kept it if it weren't for the crescent filling version I already have. The other really cool feature on this pen is the clip, which is spring-loaded and very user friendly. If I could change anything about the crescent filler version it would certainly be that. Great review!

#8 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 15:15

jkondave - I don't know if it's as big (diameter-wise) as an M800, but I've got big paws too, and this one fit me really well.

Strangely enough, though, my wife (who has small hands) found this one quite comfortable too.

#9 JRodriguez

JRodriguez

Anthropologist at large

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 14:09

It's more in the m600 range, though slightly thicker. And I have to concur that this pen felt very good in the hand for me too.

Sponsored Content

|