Waterman Phileas

tntaylor

The Phileas (my second fp) just showed up, today. Definitely a lovely pen (might have to get it in red, too). However, the fine nib writes wider than the medium nib of the Namiki Vanishing Point (I think someone mentioned that to me on these boards).

I have to say, I like the VP more than the Phileas. For one, I've got this thing about plastic. I'm just not too keen on it as a material for pens. The Phileas is certainly a solid pen, but the VP looks so much more substantial, being "chrome" (aluminum, or whatever it's made of).

I'll definitely continute using the VP for personal correspondence and writing in my journal. Perhaps the Waterman will find its place drafting short stories and suchlike - it seems to draw a cruder line than the VP, but maybe that's down to the nib size?

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tntaylor

• Leslie J.

• southpaw

• Ray

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find over time that Japanese nibs generally produce a thinner line than other nibs. A M Japanese nib will be more like a F nib on other pens. But even amongst the non-Japanese pens, there will be some, like the Waterman and even most Pelikans that write a wetter line in general.

Paper makes a difference, and sometimes ink does too. My VP F nib is quite wet really, but it writes a spidery thin line on high quality smooth paper. So much so that I am not comfortable using it on certain papers because I just think my handwriting looks bad when it's *that* thin.

The Phileas is a good workhorse pen. Mine perform reliably on all types of paper and with all types of ink. There are a lot of variables that make up the total writing experience. :)

Never lie to your dog.

I know what you mean about metal vs plastic. Actually, though, plastic is the more traditional material for pens; in the 1930s you'd have found plastic pens in every pocket, and some of those pens are now worth hundreds of pounds.

I use my VP when I'm out and about, mainly becasue its one-handed operation is pretty convenient in those circumstances. However, it's a heavy pen, like my Cross Townsend, and I find that writing for longer than 15 minutes or so with one can be a strain on the hand. Sitting at my desk writing for a prolonged period, I'll usually want to pick up something lighter, like a modern Pelikan or an older Sheaffer Snorkel or Balance.

My Phileas I reserve for aeroplane travel, and it is the one pen in which I use ink cartridges.

Ray

Edited by Ray

TNT - your comparison isn't exactly fair, comparing a ~$75 VP to a ~$25 Phileas. I would expect the VP to be a significantly better pen, although I realize this doesn't hold true. There are some who find the Phileas to appear cheap / gaudy (no offense intended - just people have different tastes). The higher end WM's, however, are nicer. I have an Expert which is a wonderful pen and quite tasteful, IMHO. Just my $0.01.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

..your comparison isn't exactly fair, comparing a ~$75 VP to a ~$25 Phileas...

Oh, dear. You may have a point, there. Lol!

That's kind of why I put the question mark in the topic description. Didn't quite seem right to pit the one pen against the other, but as they are my first and only two FPs, they're the only pens I have to compare each other to (the grocery store Parker Vector SO does not count).

Hmmm, actually, I will throw the Vector into the mix.

Ok, so, the Phileas, although infinitely smoother than the Vector, reminds me more of the way the Vector writes than the VP. The VP is pure full-fat butter. Smooth as you please. It makes my handwriting look nicer. The Vector makes my handwriting look like sh!te. The Phileas makes my handwriting look like my handwriting.

t!

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

Guest Denis Richard

I've always wanted to try a Phileas, but somehow, when I stand in front of one I lose all interest. I dunno... the overall design, and particularly those ridges on the top of the section just turn me off. A pity though, as I like Waterman's.

I've been day dreaming about a Liaison, specially since the Cobra version is on sale everywhere. Not good budget timing for me though.

And of course, there is also this one. Can you say "maniac" ? :lol:

Ser1.JPG

I've always wanted to try a Phileas, but somehow, when I stand in front of one I lose all interest. I dunno... the overall design, and particularly those ridges on the top of the section just turn me off. A pity though, as I like Waterman's.

I thought the same thing when I saw the ridges, Denis, but you know, they are somewhat helpful when you remove the barrel from the section as that is exactly where you grasp with your thumb and forefinger to access the converter.

For writing, I grip close to the nib so the ridges don't bother me, but I've tried for some periods to grip up at those ridges and can't see a problem there, either. If you are gripping so tightly that the ridges irritate you, I submit that you are gripping with too much pressure. I think that too tight a grip inhibits free writing.

I'll tell you what I don't like, design wise, and that's the large tab that is attached to the blind cap ring. That really looks "honky tonk" to me.:P For that matter, why do they even have a blind cap on the Phileas? :unsure:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Roger,

I actually never help a Phileas. My problem with the ridges is really purely aesthetic. I most liklely would hold it above the ridges, in the barrel. I agree that the cigar ring thingy is also not that appealing. :blink:

Denis.

...For that matter, why do they even have a blind cap on the Phileas?...

Hey, is there anywhere on FPN that details fp terminology for rank beginners, such as myself? Beats the heck out of my constantly having to interupt the flow of conversation with such mundane questions as "Wossa blind cap?", which is actually the question I'm asking.

Wossa "blind cap"?

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

Hey, is there anywhere on FPN that details fp terminology for rank beginners, such as myself?

There isn't anything here on FPN, but you can travel over to Richard Binder's site and click on the "Reference" link on the left side, which will take you to a fairly comprehensive fountain pen dictionary.

Hi,

If you were wondering, a blind cap is a small cap at the end of the pen.

When I was desparately looking for a fountain pen, I saw the Waterman but did not get one. The Expert II looked nice. But then I got a Parker Reflex which had quality that did not make me go back because I was desperate. (If you want to talk about the Reflex, please open a new thread)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Thanks (to both of you)!

I'll head over to Binder's to bone up.

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork