New Fritz Schimpf Special Edition 146 With Italic Nib

jmccarty3

Thats not too bad. I ordered something from outside the Ei once. A pilot pen for 200 I think. I had to pay taxes and duty around 60 :(

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Memorexx

• Tom Kellie

• jmccarty3

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im pretty sure DHL is running a straight scam but theres little a buyer can do about it. I avoid any international seller that uses DHL. Ive bought a lot of pens from overseas and had them delivered by a variety of carriers, DHL is the only one to collect taxes. Im even okay paying taxes I owe, but DHLs admin fee is ridiculous.

I should mention, the minimum value which triggers an import/customs fee in the US was raised to $800 a couple years ago. I dont know what value the pen in question was but a 146 would normally fall well below $800. The Schimpf SE must have pushed it over the threshold otherwise DHL is stealing.

Got an email from Fritz Schimpf early yesterday, wanting to know the particulars about my experience with DHL. I sent them the receipt for the duty and fees I had to pay, and also a link to this thread. They are, to say the least, not happy with DHL.

I have to say that whenever I have dealt with European dealers such as Fritz Schimpf, La Couronne du Comte, Appelboom, etc., I have been very impressed by their prompt communication and the personal concern they show for the customer. They all make me feel that they really appreciate my business.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

~ Yes, but perhaps not of the sort that one might expect.

I'm not being coy, but more will be clear later, but not from this FPN member.

Do stay tuned...

Tom K.

What sort of waiting period do you think we should expect? I am wondering if it were to be a new nib exchange option, if I buy next week I would be in time for a free nib exchange. I am only asking the time frame if you know.

What sort of waiting period do you think we should expect? I am wondering if it were to be a new nib exchange option, if I buy next week I would be in time for a free nib exchange. I am only asking the time frame if you know.

~ jagwap:

There's no reason to wait.

Everything concerning regular nib exchanges remains unchanged.

However, something unique and lovely is likely to be shown...but not by yours truly.

I apologize for a light-hearted (yet accurate) remark triggering false expectations of a policy change.

Tom K.

I’m lucky enough to live in Tübingen and recently bought an M1000 from them and a bunch of inks over the past year. I can tell you that i have been so happy with their sales staff and love the store! I’m not surprised that they have an italic nib commissioned for them because the salesman who helped me was carrying a custom Pelikan M1000 in his pocket with what I believe was a custom (factory) crisp italic nib that he let me try.

~ jagwap:

There's no reason to wait.

Everything concerning regular nib exchanges remains unchanged.

However, something unique and lovely is likely to be shown...but not by yours truly.

I apologize for a light-hearted (yet accurate) remark triggering false expectations of a policy change.

Tom K.

That's fine, I was just asking and I realise you need to be oblique, and only talk in broad terms.

Thanks for the clarification, and hope the wait is only medium term.

That's fine, I was just asking and I realise you need to be oblique, and only talk in broad terms.

Thanks for the clarification, and hope the wait is only medium term.

~ jagwap:

Ha Ha!

I needed that.

Very droll. Thanks!

Tom K.

I’m lucky enough to live in Tübingen and recently bought an M1000 from them and a bunch of inks over the past year. I can tell you that i have been so happy with their sales staff and love the store! I’m not surprised that they have an italic nib commissioned for them because the salesman who helped me was carrying a custom Pelikan M1000 in his pocket with what I believe was a custom (factory) crisp italic nib that he let me try.

I’m beyond jealous.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread and a good read.Have they sold out yet? 100 worldwide doesn't seem many.I went on their site and clicked expecting either to process to check out or be told it's sold out.The same page came back and not speaking german it was unclear to me whether i was simply continuing to shop.

The schmpf nib seems perfect to me.I've got a 149jfk m,(airport uk no vat), I always think the nib within a month exchange is a tease because who amongst us is going to buy it and then not ink it?

If they do a 149 i'm definitely in.

Interesting thread and a good read.Have they sold out yet? 100 worldwide doesn't seem many.I went on their site and clicked expecting either to process to check out or be told it's sold out.The same page came back and not speaking german it was unclear to me whether i was simply continuing to shop.

The schmpf nib seems perfect to me.I've got a 149jfk m,(airport uk no vat), I always think the nib within a month exchange is a tease because who amongst us is going to buy it and then not ink it?

If they do a 149 i'm definitely in.

Just checked their site, still says available for me.

So should be good to go if you want one ;)

149jfk m? Do you mean the special edition JFK?

Yes special edition.Just to go off topic slightly i might have wife problems if i got one now(Italic 146) because i've been somewhere called Bicester village today and they have a mont blanc shop (not a boutique).And bought a WE bernard shaw set.As i haven't inked it i'd like to nib swap if that's possible for a fine or extra fine.

This shop is not allowed to sell any of the masterpiece range and lots of other stuff they they can't sell or get either.What they do have is well priced.My GBS set for example, also Faulkner Dickens and Twain (Sets).

I also bought a lovely blue leather two pen holder.(they aren't allowed to sell three pen holders or i would have had one of those).I got a free toffee brown ink and a black ballpoint refill chucked in.

To get back to the topic thanks for letting me know they still have some (italic 146).So still available.I do want one , just don't know if i can.

Just order it ;)

And dont tell your wife. Haha. Thats what I did :)

Also placed an order now for a jfk limited. They are so beautiful.

And the italic 100 is superb. At the beginning I thought whats the fuzz about. It writes like my B nib jfk. But after a couple of sentences/pages you will see the difference. It is so much sharper and the lines are crispy. The B nib is beautiful as well but feels more wobbely squishy spongy compared to the crispness of the italic. However the italic is a little bit more difficult to handle. The sweet spot is really narrow and I had a lot of starting problems. But after getting used to it and talking to the fritz Schimpf guys I managed ;)

If anyone is having trouble navigating the Fritz Schimpf site in German, try using the Chrome browser. It will translate just about anything automatically if you set it that way. Just be aware that the German word for nib translates as "feather."

I would totally buy this pen if they didn't ship using DHL. I have never, ever, had a good experience with any package shipped using this service :(

I would totally buy this pen if they didn't ship using DHL. I have never, ever, had a good experience with any package shipped using this service :(

+1

Write them a mail and tell them to use something else for you. I am sure they will manage

Write them a mail and tell them to use something else for you. I am sure they will manage

I did. They are looking into it. Should hear back mid-week :)

• 2 weeks later...

A little follow-up: I have been delighted with my italic 146. I would call it a cursive italic--it's not too sharp on the edges, and is very easy to write with. If you like cursive italic nibs, I would not hesitate to buy this pen. As a bonus, the 146 in platinum trim is beautiful. I have the pen inked with MB Leo Tolstoy Sky Blue.

A little follow-up: I have been delighted with my italic 146. I would call it a cursive italic--it's not too sharp on the edges, and is very easy to write with. If you like cursive italic nibs, I would not hesitate to buy this pen. As a bonus, the 146 in platinum trim is beautiful. I have the pen inked with MB Leo Tolstoy Sky Blue.

~ jmccarty3:

Thank you for the positive feedback.

A cursive italic 146 sounds like an excellent pen.

Montblanc Leo Tolstoy is a wonderful ink, so the writing experience is sure to be pleasing.

I hope that you'll continue to enjoy writing with your pen in 2018 and beyond.

Tom K.