New Fritz Schimpf Special Edition 146 With Italic Nib

jmccarty3

Received a newsletter by email this morning from Fritz Schimpf promoting a special edition MB 146 with what appears to be an italic nib. Interesting writing samples.

https://www.fritz-schimpf.de/Schreibgeraete/Fuellhalter/Montblanc-x-Fritz-Schimpf-Sonderedition-Italic-100-Kolbenfuellhalter.html?utm_source=CleverReach&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter+Herbst%2FWinter+2017&utm_content=Mailing_10553580

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Memorexx

• Tom Kellie

• jmccarty3

• Ghost Plane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you.

We are offering the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Special Edition Italic 100 fountain pen.starting today. It features a fine to medium italic nib. We will publish the information in English tomorrow in The Mall section of FPN and in the article description in our shop.

Have a good night.

Fritz Schimpf

Thank you.

We are offering the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Special Edition Italic 100 fountain pen.starting today. It features a fine to medium italic nib. We will publish the information in English tomorrow in The Mall section of FPN and in the article description in our shop.

Have a good night.

Fritz Schimpf

Looking forward to seeing photos.

Hmm, nice idea but from the writing sample I don't see much difference to a standard oblige nib of Montblanc like an OB or OBB.

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I think it depends on the writing size. This is stated as a fine to medium nib, but has a noticeable line variation. To get that you would need a BB or OB at least to get something approaching the samples.

A nib like this appeals to me.

Nice writing samples, the price looks high though?

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Good Morning,

we have just posted the detailled description in The Mall section. There we have included a picture of the writing sample with a size reference.

I think to understand this nib you guys have to do the same sort of reading I did two weeks ago when I hoped to grind another of my nibs.

Oblique is the sideways cut that gives thin down strokes and thick cross ones.

Broad will give a thick down stroke and thin across. But it is somewhat stubbish, ie variation between the two lines is only noticeable.

Italic will have the same design/dynamics of the above, but the nib shed a lot of its weight (girth wise) to produce more noticeable line variation. I think this is the nib we looking at here.

Crisp italic is taking it a bit further with the edge not rounded/smoothed and itll be even more sharper and line variation maximum effect, but itll also be the toughest to find the sweet spot and will be scratchy. This is best for professional use as youll be fully concentrated when using.

I actually have an italic nib from Montblanc that was a custom nib that I had commissioned together with a 3.0 calligraphy nib last year. The nib that Fritz Schimpf has commissioned sounds very similar to the nib that I got.

The year when nibmeister extraordinaire Axel was in town in Shanghai, I met up with him to commission my grail calligraphy nib. During our session, he introduced the idea of the italic nib to me, and I immediately said yes.

Montblanc's version of an italic nib is rather unusual. While I could easily pick up and use the very broad calligraphy nib, I found using the Montblanc italic nib very difficult. In fact one of the most difficult nibs to use that I have tried in a long time. I have tried quite a few esoteric nibs so am not new at this.

When I use any italic nib, I have to hold the pen quite differently. While normal pens settle into the web between the thumb and first finger, I have to re-position italic nibs toward the base of the first finger in order for the entire nib to be level with the pen. However, holding the Montblanc nib this way caused lots of skipping. I was so frustrated with the pen, and it went back to the technicians twice to see whether they could do something about the pen. One day, for the lark of it, I decided to hold this particular italic nib like a regular pen, and VOILA, the skipping went away!

Today I still use the pen quite regular as it is a very special pen. It definitely writes quite differently than a Montblanc B, BB, OB or OBB nib. It's more crisp, as you can achieve much thinner lines. But it's much more forgiving than other italic nibs in the market.

If it werent for the fact the nib Fritz Schimpf has commissioned is so narrow, I would have jumped on it already!

Edited by gerigo

Nice writing samples, the price looks high though?

The price we have in our webshop is the price with the German VAT included. For all orders shipped to the outside of the European Union the VAT of 19% does not apply, Therefore the price is considerably lower.

I actually have an italic nib from Montblanc that was a custom nib that I had commissioned together with a 3.0 calligraphy nib last year. The nib that Fritz Schimpf has commissioned sounds very similar to the nib that I got.

The year when nibmeister extraordinaire Axel was in town in Shanghai, I met up with him to commission my grail calligraphy nib. During our session, he introduced the idea of the italic nib to me, and I immediately said yes.

Montblanc's version of an italic nib is rather unusual. While I could easily pick up and use the very broad calligraphy nib, I found using the Montblanc italic nib very difficult. In fact one of the most difficult nibs to use that I have tried in a long time. I have tried quite a few esoteric nibs so am not new at this.

When I use any italic nib, I have to hold the pen quite differently. While normal pens settle into the web between the thumb and first finger, I have to re-position italic nibs toward the base of the first finger in order for the entire nib to be level with the pen. However, holding the Montblanc nib this way caused lots of skipping. I was so frustrated with the pen, and it went back to the technicians twice to see whether they could do something about the pen. One day, for the lark of it, I decided to hold this particular italic nib like a regular pen, and VOILA, the skipping went away!

Today I still use the pen quite regular as it is a very special pen. It definitely writes quite differently than a Montblanc B, BB, OB or OBB nib. It's more crisp, as you can achieve much thinner lines. But it's much more forgiving than other italic nibs in the market.

If it werent for the fact the nib Fritz Schimpf has commissioned is so narrow, I would have jumped on it already!

Your nib sounds fascinating. The way you describe the process of getting it perfect for you is quite similar to the process we had in defining the nib for the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pen. We have had many test nibs which offered a bigger line variation but the sweet spot was small and it needed prcatice to write without skipping. We wanted a nib for small handwriting which creates line variations and writes smooth without the need to get accustomed to a small sweet spot. Therefore the edges of our nib needed to be rounded thus making them a bit broader. We decided to put the writing comfort above a bigger italic effect.

I would have to say in the scheme of things, this is a really fair price. When I commissioned my nib, I paid the price of the custom nib together with the price of a regular 146, so effectively double what Fritz Schimpf is charging.

Of course I could stamp my name on the nib, which I found to be strange, so I did what FS did, and stamped ITALIC on my nib too!

Hello Fritz, I sent you a message on your boutique mailbox. I wait for your answers to place and end my order. Thanks. Thierry

Edited by ThierryfromFrance

• 2 weeks later...

We are happy to inform that we will receive the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pens on the 21st

of october and will start shipping then. Here is a preview of the special box:

post-80974-0-53848400-1507721812_thumb.jpg

We are happy to inform that we will receive the Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pens on the 21st

of october and will start shipping then. Here is a preview of the special box:

~ Fritz Schimpf:

That's quite an attractive box.

Thank you for sharing it here.

I hope that this very special pen will be a major success, as it deserves to be.

Tom K.

Thank you very much! We are very excited and are looking forward to the arrival.

Maybe, if this project is successful, Montblanc will start offering again a wider variety

of nibs.

Thank you very much! We are very excited and are looking forward to the arrival.

Maybe, if this project is successful, Montblanc will start offering again a wider variety

of nibs.

~ Fritz Schimpf:

That would be the very finest outcome.

Thank you for such a positive thought.

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

A few days ago we received a letter from one of our clients who had bought a Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Sonderedition Italic 100 fountain pen.

As this letter not only made our day, but our month or year, we would like to share it with you:

post-80974-0-90573600-1512125987_thumb.jpg

The letter has been written on our DIN A5 correspondence paper with our Fritzrot fountain pen ink.

Best regards

Fritz Schimpf

Lovely! Hoping these are a complete fast sell out so we can have a 149 version for those of us who find the 146 too small.

Lovely! Hoping these are a complete fast sell out so we can have a 149 version for those of us who find the 146 too small.

Yes!!