Changing The Nib

Philgood

Hello

I would like to change the nib of my 146.

I have the specific tool but i had read that there is a spécial glue in the mb nib.

Isn't it like the pelikan where you can swap 2 nibs easily ?

Where to find the glue if it is absolutly neccessary to have some ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Philgood

Memento Mori

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Philgood

• meiers

• Erik Dalton

• chunya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of questions spring to mind.

How old is your 146?

Why do you want to change the nib, and is it just the nib you want to change or the nib and feed?

Have you already got the new nib ?

If it's a new pen then you may be able to get MB to exchange it for you.

If you haven't got the nib to replace the existing one, then it might prove to be an expensive exercise, even 2nd hand they are pricey.

Changing the nib if you aren't already experienced may be a problem, changing the nib and feed section is a lot.easier, you only need to have the right tool which you say you have (edited) unscrew the old section and fit the new one.

If the pen isn't new, and you're not particularly attached to it, you could sell it and then buy a similarly priced 146 with the correct nib. May be the cheapest and easiest option.

Just a few thoughts.

Edited by chunya

I have many 146...

I want to swap différent nib size on my pen as i can do on my Pelikan M800

You can't swap nibs on Montblanc pens like you can on Pelikan pens. Pelikan nibs and feeds easily screw out and screw in. Montblanc nibs don't.

With a special tool, and plenty of knowledge about the potential pitfalls, you can remove the nib and feed in the feeder housing. Beware though, the feeder housing might break because it is glued in with a pink glue. The ring around the outer edge of the feeder case may break because the edges of the tool may catch on that. The tool may slip and damage the nib and/or feed.

If any of those things break, you will need to send the pen to Montblanc to be fixed.

In the event that you are happy to use your tool and remove the nib and feed, then go ahead, and I wish you good luck. You may replace the old glue with some silicone grease. Pink glue isn't essential.

It will never be anything like switching the nibs on your Pelikans. It's not meant to be a user adjusted part.

Je ne comprends pas bien l'intérêt de changer les plumes, Philippe, si tu as plusieurs stylos ... tu peux directement changer de stylo, non ?

A moins que tu n'ai des plumes seules que tu veuilles mettre sur un stylo ?

(Sorry for these french words, ... it seems more practical to talk with a mother-tongue member :) )

A 146 is not a Pelikan in being able to swap nibs. For one replacement nibs are not very easy to get. Second is the threads on the housing the nib is in changed over the years. So unless the secondary nib is of the same general age it will not screw in. If your 146 is new swapping to other new nibs is easier. A new nib unit is not going to screw into one from the 1980's for example. If you have removed the nib and it did have the pink sealant you have the older style. When nibs do come up for sale they are about the price of a used MB so its better just to swap pens.

If you want to just have one body and several nibs you swap at will I would stick with the M800 or something that uses Bock or Jowo nibs.

Be careful. Those nib units screw into the section and are additionally held there with Pink Bubblegum Sealant.

As for replacement nib units, you certainly can’t buy them from Montblanc.

Using the sealant alone is tricky. It’s a bit thick. If you don’t know what you’re doing, a little too much and you crack the section when snugging things up.

I’ve done it, but I avoid taking out a montblanc nib at all costs. I’ve heard that 146 & 149’s since 2000 are simple screw in nib units without sealant. I have not seen one come in for repair to confirm that, and am not about to tinker to find out.

You really should send your pen into montblanc for nib swap.

Drifted

A 146 is not a Pelikan in being able to swap nibs. For one replacement nibs are not very easy to get. Second is the threads on the housing the nib is in changed over the years. So unless the secondary nib is of the same general age it will not screw in. If your 146 is new swapping to other new nibs is easier. A new nib unit is not going to screw into one from the 1980's for example. If you have removed the nib and it did have the pink sealant you have the older style. When nibs do come up for sale they are about the price of a used MB so its better just to swap pens.

If you want to just have one body and several nibs you swap at will I would stick with the M800 or something that uses Bock or Jowo nibs.

Drifted brings up some really good points newer nib threads wont match up with older pens. Likewise caps and sections dont always have compatable threads, making it difficult to buy replacement barrels or caps. Montblanc s Iconic, but also fickled, and just as likely to make odd changed as not.

But, you gotta love them.😉

Look at the other thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/327769-removing-mb-nib-units/

But in short: yes, you can exchange the nibs from one 146 to another provided they have the same diameter and thread in the nib unit. You will want to have the tool to do so. You COULD do it with your fingers, but in my experience montblanc pens sometimes have the unit "glued" from Hamburg, and if you try to use your fingers you can end up damaging something (VERY LIKELY)

Tool can be bought in EBAY for $30 or less shipped.

I'm attaching 2 pictures: one of 5 different 146 nib units (from L to R): Unicef, Twain, Leonardo, gold 146, platinum 146. Missing in the picture: 90th 146, Gaius Maecenas.

Picture #2 is the 146 trio dissasembled for service and showing both, the piston and nib removal tools.

post-126100-0-71628700-1506367324_thumb.jpg

post-126100-0-14957900-1506367332_thumb.jpg

I agree it can be tricky, the older 146s with the full clear window are not good to do

they are a 2 section barrel and I split the small section because of the pink, so called bubble gum.

I have some myself it is a two part rubberized material.

I also split the small second section on a 149 same problem pink gunge put on second section , on a 149 it is the feed and nib holder section screwing in to the main barrel that needs the sealing

not the small second section . ( I have done quite a lot of plumbing )

The 146s with the single barrel don't seem to be a problem, I just put them back using silicone grease it seems to be fine and will certainly be easier to remove next time.

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi

After watching the video on a similar thread, I had to just have a try at unscrewing my nib feed and section

by hand as he shows, on my brand new 90th addition 149, it was with great caution I can tell you and it came out just like the video.

This surprised me as I thought it was a 2 section barrel, like slightly older 149s.

The learning goes on

Mike

Exchanging the nib on a Pelikan is about as complicated as replacing a light bulb. Montblancs are a different story.

Reed_Thoughts knows what he is doing. I like my nibs exactly where they are.

Edited by meiers

I have many 146...

I want to swap différent nib size on my pen as i can do on my Pelikan M800

You cant except with the most recent 146s that use the new feed, feeder case, nib and o-ring assembly..

It really is that simple.

My Website