Diamine Lilac Night (New 150 Th Anniversary Ink)

visvamitra

It seems Diamine enjoys celebrating its anniversary. This year they added another eight inks to their line of 150th anniversary inks.

The inks are sold in nice and quitye comfortable in use triangular bottles.

fpn_1506191722__lilacnight_b_2.jpg

fpn_1506191750__lilacnight_b_1.jpg

Lilac Night is an ok ink. Ink properties are fine and yet the color is somehow uninspiring.

fpn_1506193046__lilacnight_os.jpg

On some paper (Tomoe River) sheen is visible.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1506193065__lilacnight_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1506191768__lilacnight_l_3.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1506191788__lilacnight_l_4.jpg

Oxford Opic, Lamy Al-Star, broad nib

fpn_1506191816__lilacnight_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1506191840__lilacnight_ox_2.jpg

Maruman, Lamy Al-Star, broad nib

fpn_1506192890__lilacnight_maruman_1.jpg

fpn_1506192919__lilacnight_maruman_2.jpg

Midori, Lamy Al-Star, broad nib

fpn_1506192959__lilacnight_l_1.jpg

fpn_1506192991__lilacnight_l_2.jpg

fpn_1506193008__lilacnight_l_5.jpg

Mini - comparison

fpn_1506192939__lilacnight_comp.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ENewton

• The Good Captain

• amberleadavis

• IndigoBOB

Thanks for your review. I think your choice of words: "uninspiring" is accurate. Too bad, I really enjoy Diamine inks, I think they blew it this time.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I like this color on the white paper, not so much on the Midori.

It is good to know that "the ink properties are fine."

Maybe I will try a sample.

This one is pretty. I like it.

I started out liking smack in the middle of the spectrum purples like PR Purple Mojo and Noodler's North African Violet. But then I began finding myself drawn towards more subtle, complex red and blue violets, and Lilac Night certainly fits the bill.

Oh no.... And I just bought 3 bottles of other inks today. I'm doomed.... :headsmack:

Thanks for the review. And, well, not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I started out liking smack in the middle of the spectrum purples like PR Purple Mojo and Noodler's North African Violet. But then I began finding myself drawn towards more subtle, complex red and blue violets, and Lilac Night certainly fits the bill.

I started using middle of the spectrum purples also, but because I did not realize that different shades of purple inks were available. I am definitely drawn to the more subtle, complex purples to the extent that almost all of my inks fall into this category.

Thanks to visvamitra for another intriguing and comprehensive review.

LOL, it's funny, I have this one on my next wish list. I like blurples.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Another great review. Once again, one of the colours I'll use every now and again, in a converter pen.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Another great review. Once again, one of the colours I'll use every now and again, in a converter pen.

Does it flow well during normal writing, or does it dry in the nib if one tends to pause for a few seconds between phrases?

Why do you use it only in a converter pen?

Does it flow well during normal writing, or does it dry in the nib if one tends to pause for a few seconds between phrases?

Why do you use it only in a converter pen?

I'm not sure about the drying as I've only used it 'dipped' for testing, in a Lamy Vista. As for just using a converter pen - that's so I don't have a whole lot of cleaning out, like I would with a piston-filler, if/when I want to change colour.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

This is a beautiful color!

Soft, gentle, calm, and definitely for those who want a more meditative/cogitative color, while also providing a darker tone for easier legibility. Inks like this are hard to find.

The subtlety achieved by this color is not something you see very often and the fact that it's diamine and well behaved with good flow, and shading makes this ink quite special.

This is definitely not uninspiring, but something unprecedented among the several dozen inks I have tried.

I honestly am surprised they pulled off an ink with this balance of color, hue, and saturation that provides an elegant shading to a soothing writing experiencing. Yes if you are trying to get all lively and inspired from this ink, maybe not for you, but if you want one that works with a more meditative and cogitative writing that parallels such calming, this ink will go deep with you.

Well, based on this review it's not enough purple for me.

Purple dream is worth a try. I'm not a big purple fan, I stick to the indigo realm myself, but purple dream is one for Purple Folk.

Purple dream is worth a try. I'm not a big purple fan, I stick to the indigo realm myself, but purple dream is one for Purple Folk.

As one of those all-purple people, I thank you and will take a look.

• 1 year later...

This sort of looks like a my kind of color.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY