Fountain Pens For Sketching

tgoto

I can see that the cap of the Vacumatic getting lost could be an issue. If you want all those nibs, maybe you need a kind of art table on wheels. You would probably want to have a pen for each, ready and inked. This might relieve the worry about the cap.

Sometimes you can find cheap, used Pelikans in the M100 to M200 range. There is a variety of nibs available from EF to BB. The flow of these pens seems more reliable to me than any other cannon fodder pen. If you want one of the more expensive capless pens, good, go for it. I thought the Pilot capless was a tad bit heavy. Everybody's style is different, though. You can always try the capless. The capless pen might be great for open air work. You can get used to a heavier pen through using it.

Actually, trying everything under the sun has the advantage of helping you decide what works best for you. You can always sell the ones that don't work for you.

You are absolutely right! The capless is a metal pen. I might get tired of holding a heavy pen for a long time.

And reliable flow of ink is so important, especially for hatching.

I will look into them. So embarassing that I don't have any Pelikans, and I call myself fountain pen fan...

I will have to figure out how to keep the caps either attached to the drawing board or hung from it.

Thank you!

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• sidthecat

• pen2paper

• corgicoupe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A sketching tool is as personal as one’s back teeth, and everybody in my office has a different assortment of tools and methods. Switching to a new program for storyboarding is as painful as abdominal surgery, and I’m abjectly grateful that the specific thing I do requires only Photoshop.

That said, the sketch pen of my dreams is a Wall-Evershop Doric with a broken Adjustable nib. This is a lot like saying that I get to work by riding my unicorn to the office, but it’s kind of a testament to the lengths one will go for a mere tool. The pen and the nib were acquired separately and Frankensteined together by Mr. Minuskin, who has often indulged my fancies. What I ended up with was a pen that really does handle like a brush, which flatters my outline-intensive drawing style. I have other pens for writing, but the Doric is a Drawing Pen.

Here's something I did with it, using one of my household models:

fpn_1506275048__706cb458-75ff-4d42-85c8-

Nice sketch!

Adjustable nib is a refreshing and great idea :)

I am getting wealth of amazing knowledge :D

If I get these nib and pen, I will definitely ask Greg for help!

Thank you!

I'll admit that I'm a poster, so the concept of losing or holding caps is kinda a non-issue for me. I have to hold the cap for the Rotring Art Pen, because it DOESN'T post due to the tapered barrel.

I've used a variety of pens for sketching, but the two that I specifically have for artwork are that Rotring, with an EF nib, and my Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise, which has a springy and juicy F nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ah, the Art Pen! I used thar pen when I was in highschool.

I don't have one right now because I tend to carry smaller pens, but Art Pen is a great pen!

I have yet to try out Pelikan...springy and juicy is the key to sketch.

Thank you!

I use a Sailor Fude nib. they are fun to use. I am not at all a good artist, but play at it. The Fude nib gives you the ability to lay down some very thick and some narrow lines. But the one I have does have a cap.

I also like to use a Pilot Elite. It has an EF nib so is difficult to easily add depth. This is one that is small with a long cap. You really have to post it to be able to comfortably use the pen. It posts deep and firmly.

I hope I can try the fude nib at LA show...sounds fun!

You have a great point...I usually don't post cap, but if I get a small and short pen, maybe it is comfortable posting the pen and I won't have to worry about losing the cap!

Thank you!

Indeed. I should test out some fine semi-flex nib. I have a vintage flex but it gives too much line variations without the intension...

Cursive italic will add some nice characters to the drawings. I will definitely try it out in CA.

Thank you! :D

You're most welcome.. I didn't intentionally overlook the others who provide complex variety nibs. Simply, I've test driven VP's with John's cursive italic that possibly fits your criteria. Besides show's, a huge CA plus are super pen-posse enthusiasts to help you pare down to a quick carry set.

Edited by pen2paper

You're most welcome.. I didn't intentionally overlook the others who provide complex variety nibs. Simply, I've test driven VP's with John's cursive italic that possibly fits your criteria. Besides show's, a huge CA plus are super pen-posse enthusiasts to help you pare down to a quick carry set.

After you shared your experience of the cursive italic, I tried the architect nib to see if it expresses some interesting lines, and it did. Because the architect nib has broader lines horizontally (against the nature of fountain pens providing broader lines vertically with some pressure), it was somewhat challenging to draw. Cursive Italic would be a better choice :)

I gave a Waterman ringtop with a factory stub nib to an artist friend about a year ago. She was trying out some of my pens and she could get a lot more out of that one than I could, so it had to be hers.

My sister, on the other hand, does her work with technical pens and wouldn’t touch my tools with a barge pole.

Courses for horses, as they say.

I gave a Waterman ringtop with a factory stub nib to an artist friend about a year ago. She was trying out some of my pens and she could get a lot more out of that one than I could, so it had to be hers.

My sister, on the other hand, does her work with technical pens and wouldn’t touch my tools with a barge pole.

Courses for horses, as they say.

That's nice of you :)

Factory stub nib on a ringtop sounds rare...

I have revisited a gold modern flex on Franklin Christoph 66, it is a good nib, it has a hard start problem due to eyedropper though...but then Italian Ice material has to be an eyedropper to look better... it still has a possibility of losing the cap...

I wish I could go to Colorado Pen Show to explore ringtops...too far though...:P

I have some technical pens too, but I only use them for architectural drawings (meaning work only lol).

I keep an old Koh-I-Noor No.1 technical pen with with piston filler in my pen case though just because it looks like a fountain pen :)

I lost 6 of those Koh-I-Noon pens in a move some 25 years ago. It would be nice to find one in good condition. What are they selling for?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Have you had any experience with pens for sketching that you recommend (or any other pens that you recommend)?

I tend to like the TWSBI fines for sketching. They are just really quality steel nibs with a bit of stiffness. I might be missing something on your not capping, but the 580ALs and the ECOs are all long enough to handle w/o a cap. For sketching, the ECO is light enough that the cap doesn't throw off the weight IMO.

I recently bought a Desiderata Icarus and have been enjoying using it for sketching and inking on the go. I don't love that it is an aerometric filler, but I have really been surprised at how well the pen keeps up the ink flow while the nib is being pushed hard.

Re: the Waterman ringtop. The stubs are somewhat rare, but I really liked what my friend was doing with it. I may have to give a pen to a co-worker cause hers is such a hard starter.

I lost 6 of those Koh-I-Noon pens in a move some 25 years ago. It would be nice to find one in good condition. What are they selling for?

They are going for 15USD or so...:)

I recently bought a Desiderata Icarus and have been enjoying using it for sketching and inking on the go. I don't love that it is an aerometric filler, but I have really been surprised at how well the pen keeps up the ink flow while the nib is being pushed hard.

Zebra G nib looks fantastic. Icarus is a nice pen!

Re: the Waterman ringtop. The stubs are somewhat rare, but I really liked what my friend was doing with it. I may have to give a pen to a co-worker cause hers is such a hard starter.

You are so nice! I hope I can do the same as I get more pens.

Right now my kids keep taking my pens, which I am ok with. Great to have the next generation use fountain pens :)

They are going for 15USD or so... :)

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for one. I still have one of the 00 nibs and the wheel for removing the nib.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• 6 months later...

A sketching tool is as personal as one’s back teeth, and everybody in my office has a different assortment of tools and methods. Switching to a new program for storyboarding is as painful as abdominal surgery, and I’m abjectly grateful that the specific thing I do requires only Photoshop.

That said, the sketch pen of my dreams is a Wall-Evershop Doric with a broken Adjustable nib. This is a lot like saying that I get to work by riding my unicorn to the office, but it’s kind of a testament to the lengths one will go for a mere tool. The pen and the nib were acquired separately and Frankensteined together by Mr. Minuskin, who has often indulged my fancies. What I ended up with was a pen that really does handle like a brush, which flatters my outline-intensive drawing style. I have other pens for writing, but the Doric is a Drawing Pen.
Here's something I did with it, using one of my household models:

~ sidthecat:

I'm grateful for your comments on the variety of possible sketch pens.

The sketch of a house cat is especially pleasing.

I like the ink, which is none too dark, with pleasing variation.

May I please ask what that ink is?

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

Tom K.

This is a lot like saying that I get to work by riding my unicorn to the office

Oh, don't worry. The whole thread sounds like that. ;)

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

Are you against posting in principle or do you not like the feel of a posted pen?

Have you tried pocket pens? I do not usually post pens but i find posted Kaweco Al-Sport rather comfortable. Have you tried a posted Pilot Prera?

If you prefer soft nibs Pelikan 100n is also a pen that is designed to be very comfortable posted.

Non notisi signi.

I'm artist too and I use fountain pens for sketching. I also have small hands, so I don't post my pens. My only capless pen is pilot VP and it is indeed great for sketching. But is has so small ink capacity, that I tend to run out really quickly.

When I sketch, I usually use clip to attach cap to my sketchbook. I like that a lot, because I often have to clip my sketchbook because pages buckles.

I made actually fountain pen review series for artists and Pilot VP vas one of those pens that I recomend for sketching on the go. I'm not sure do forum rules allow linking, but they can be found on Youtube by screaching " Fountain pen reviews for artists" and playlist should be on first page.

Most of my sketching pens have EF nibs. Hero 9018 Fude is inexpensive and has worked well. Nib needed bit adjustment, but other than that is has been great. My favorite is maybe Platinum #3776 Century Ultra-extra-fine nib.