De Atramentis Sepia Brown Is Same As De Atramentis William Shakespeare

Jan2016

De Atramentis Sepia Brown

De Atramentis has special series, but these can be one of the normal colors.

William Shakespeare is the same as the Sepia Brown, see the chromatogram, left is William Shakespeare and right is Sepia Brown

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Jan2016

• lapis

• HalloweenHJB

A lot of the De Atramentis inks (Famous People, Zodiac, etc. -- even some of the scented inks) are just relabeled versions of their standard line. Not all though -- I haven't been able to find a non-scented version of Patchouli. :( Interesting color, but smells awful :sick: (musty, and not anything like patchouli actually smells).

If you look at their website, there will often be a note in the upper right hand corner for the description of the specific ink, saying what the ink color is. But sometimes they change -- Albrecht Dürer USED to be the same as Silver Grey (a beautiful color) but is now Anthracite (a shading black that is also on the dry side). I'm seriously thinking of finishing up that (or maybe just dumping it) and washing out the bottle and cap well -- and replacing the contents with Silver Grey the way it used to be.... Because the idea of an ink that looks like a silverpoint drawing being named for such a famous artist (who did silverpoint drawings along with his paintings and prints) just seems to be a stellar one.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, you're right and I check that all the time. But I've never seen anything up in the right hand corner of the site page. I just hit the image of the bottle and see here e.g. for Shakespeare:

Description
Exclusive handmade Ink "William Shakespeare"
Colour: Dark Brown
Content: about 35 ml
This exclusive handmade ink is suitable for fountain pens.
The ink is produced according to the requirements of EN71-3.

The "actual" colour of an otherwise-named ink is usually also stated on the label itself.

I'd not yet come to the conclusion that "Dark Brown" = "Sepia Brown". But the whole idea and "honesty" of DeA here is okay to good. Frigzample Jane Austen is Dark Green. Sometimes (at least earlier) there used to be a small price difference between the two.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I like the ink of deAtramentis.It is just to show the similarity.

As lapis and inkstainedruth say, most of the time you can find the "original" color in the description.

I point this one out because the description says dark brown, a color deAtramentis doesn't have, so I thought it should be the Sepia Brown, and voila.... ;-)

@inkstainedruth: the description says carneol, looking at the site I would say it is the Red Brown

and you can always try to mix it with the Mint ink to make it more fresh... ;-)

luckily he doesn't sell Salmon with scent.

fpn_1506111677__atramentis-standard-foun

They make good inks. Some like a bottle with Sepia Brown on it, some like a bottle with William Shakespeare on it.

I am not bothered with it. They impress me as a pretty down to earth company.

Interesting colors from DeAtramentis which I use:

Aubergine

Pigeon Blue

Ebony

Khaki and

Sepia Brown

They make good inks. Some like a bottle with Sepia Brown on it, some like a bottle with William Shakespeare on it.

Aubergine

Pigeon Blue

Ebony

Khaki and

Sepia Brown

The problem is double purchases of the exact same ink. The confusion hurts the consumer and aids the manufacturer.

Aubergine

Pigeon Blue

Ebony

Khaki and

Sepia Brown

I also love Sapphire Blue and Document Fuchsia.

DeAtramentis is the only smallish ink producer that I trust.

They're open about the re-labeling of colors, so I don't see a problem with it.

I’m hooked on their Plum. Writes perfectly on almost any paper, luscious color and deliciously, glidingly wet for those days when nothing but floating nibs will do.

• 2 weeks later...

They're open about the re-labeling of colors, so I don't see a problem with it.

Indeed. They make a number of really spectacular inks (e.g., Apricot, Steel Blue etc.), and I will continue to support this small company.

So if someone is concerned about relabeled colors, they can always check this very site —FPN has a search function— to keep from repeating colors.

Indeed. They make a number of really spectacular inks (e.g., Apricot, Steel Blue etc.), and I will continue to support this small company.

So if someone is concerned about relabeled colors, they can always check this very site —FPN has a search function— to keep from repeating colors.

yes, I know

I think that DeA should provide this clarity. That is my point.

Having to do searches, etc, simply to avoid purchasing the same ink that one might already own from the same company is an annoyance, and the company knows this. Indeed, their not providing an easy, clarifying list in their marketing suggests, to me, a level of dubiousness of intent. I just can't see any reason to duplicate ink formulations under multiple titles without clarification except with the at least indirect intention that one will sell some extra bottles even if the buyer does not intend to purchase a second bottle of the same ink.

No argument here! If you prefer not to buy their inks because you dislike how they conduct business, that's your choice. Peace.

HJB

...They're open about the re-labeling of colors, so I don't see a problem with it.

I just went to their website again. I cannot find any acknowledgment of the duplication of colors. Perhaps I am missing this. Could someone point it out? They have several "topics" and lines of ink, but I can't find anywhere where they state that the colors exist under other labels.

yes?

Nothing there states that they are relabeled inks.

what are you referring to?

Unless the website has been changed, if you click on the link for the specific ink (at least on the English language version of the site) there will be a notation in the upper right hand corner of the page for that ink (if it's a "Famous Person", "Zodiac", scented, or other special line ink) as to what the color is. For instance, "Libra" in the Zodiac series is labeled as being Sky Blue.

Mind you, not every "special" ink will have that -- for instance, I can't find a non-scented version of Patchouli, or some of the scented green inks.... And, as I discovered to my great annoyance, "Albrecht Dürer" is now Anthracite (it USED to be Silver Grey...) :angry:.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On the web page I'm seeing today there is a picture of the ink bottle and below that "Description" The second line states the color. What is doesn't do and what I understand TSherbs is asking for is a statement that this is the exact same ink as XXX.

But there is a search box right above the picture of the bottle. I typed in the color of the William Shakespeare ink, Dark Brown, and got a list of 7 inks. If I was thinking of buying the Shakespeare ink and this list of 7 contained an ink I already have, I would do further investigation, I think.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

yeah, two inks described as "dark brown" do not tell me that they are the exact same shade of dark brown

"dark brown," in this industry, is not a description of a specific ink shade, but rather a generalized (and only mildly helpful) category of brown

Look, I understand that people own DeA inks and like them. Awesome. I am simply saying that, for me, the vagueness around this labeling stuff is a dubious turnoff. The suggestion that DeA is "open" or clear about their labeling actually isn't born out on their website. Clarity around this is VERY EASY if DeA actually wanted to be clear about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with people who say this practice is deceptive. For instance, there might be multiple shades of "dark brown" or "sky blue". How many various shades of "cerulean blue" are there by different manufacturers? All slightly different? People go crazy over collecting different minute variations of shades and levels of sheen in Sailor inks, some of those inks are super similar to each other but different just enough where people own multiple names. Or even old vs new formulation. So just because the description states something generic like "dark brown", it doesn't mean that the ink shade is the same as another "dark brown" by the same brand.

What they SHOULD have done is probably had one web page for the same inks with a drop-down menu for label preference: whether you want a generic color label or a fancy author label on the same ink.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”