The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My Mont Blanc 146 Pen Is Original Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 acicekler

acicekler

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 17:47

Hello everyone.

I and my friend bought these mont blanc pens. But we didn't find the same nib like our pens. It is like the nib doesn't fit to the pen. 

There are notchs on the top and the bottom sides of the nips as you can see from the pictures. The seller told us that pens are from 1970 or 1980s. 

If someone helps us about the pens, we would be appreciated.

Best,

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 17:51

You have a monotone gold nib there. Theyre wonderful. And yes they were made in the 1970s.
Your pen appears to be authentic.

Edited by meiers, 21 September 2017 - 17:52.

#3 acicekler

acicekler

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 18:32

I'm glad to hear that. 
However, I couldn't see the nib exactly like ours. 
Our nib is just golden yellow but when I search on the internet the other 70's nibs has golden yellow and silver 

Thank you very much

You have a monotone gold nib there. Theyre wonderful. And yes they were made in the 1970s.
Your pen appears to be authentic.

I'm glad to hear that. 
However, I couldn't see the nib exactly like ours. 
Our nib is just golden yellow but when I search on the internet the other 70's nibs has golden yellow and silver like picture

Thank you very much

Attached Images

• IMG_2570.JPG

Edited by acicekler, 21 September 2017 - 18:52.

#4 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 19:20

The newer 146 nibs are two-tone. The monotone gold nibs are from the earlier 146 pens - and preferred by some people.

The two notches at the foot of the nib are to fit the nib-removal tool (available separately)

Great pens. Hope you enjoy them.

#5 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 19:23

So what it looks like to me is an early 1990s 146 (if it is authentic) with a two tone nib where the rhodium plating has worn off. It is not the older monotone nibs from the 1970s though 1980s. Those monotone nibs have a different stamping and were marked 14C. The feed looks like the early resin feed, and they used 14K nibs for a while before moving to 18K.

For me the pictures are not good enough quality to judge authenticity. If it is a piston filler with an ink window, it is more likely than not authentic.

Edited by zaddick, 21 September 2017 - 19:24.

#6 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 3,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 19:28

This is what the 1970s and 80s 146 nibs look like:

fpn_1506022073__146_monotone.jpg

#7 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 3,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 19:29

The stock photo you showed is a late 1980s to 1990s nib, before moving to 14K. The feed is appropriate for that era on your pen.

#8 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 19:30

So what it looks like to me is an early 1990s 146 (if it is authentic) with a two tone nib where the rhodium plating has worn off. It is not the older monotone nibs from the 1970s though 1980s. Those monotone nibs have a different stamping and were marked 14C. The feed looks like the early resin feed, and they used 14K nibs for a while before moving to 18K.

For me the pictures are not good enough quality to judge authenticity. If it is a piston filler with an ink window, it is more likely than not authentic.

+1 for this. Monotone nibs have a different design on them to two-tone nibs. This is clearly a two-tone nib where the rhodium plating in the centre has worn off.

They look authentic to me, especially with that feed, and the two notches mentioned on the nib feeder cases.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#9 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 20:16

Ah, yes. Well spotted. Plating worn, or polished off. I missed that.

Still erring on the side of authenticity, from what we can see.

Thanks.

#10 acicekler

acicekler

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:58

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you, I'm starting to learn something about fountain pen.

I bought this Mont Blanc for 250 euros. Is it expensive if we assume it is a authentic?

Best

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you guys, I'm starting to learn something. I bought the pen for 250 euros. is it expensive if you assume it is original

#11 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:28

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you, I'm starting to learn something about fountain pen.

I bought this Mont Blanc for 250 euros. Is it expensive if we assume it is a authentic?

Best

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you guys, I'm starting to learn something. I bought the pen for 250 euros. is it expensive if you assume it is original

Based upon my recent experience shopping for 146's at the DC Pen Supershow - that's a fair and reasonable price for that pen - assuming it's authentic.

Enjoy!

Edited by TheRealMikeDr, 22 September 2017 - 11:30.

#12 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2017 - 18:04

Price is decent if it's an authentic pen with all period-correct parts

#13 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2017 - 19:07

Youve got a nice pen there.

#14 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2017 - 20:08

Take a Jewel's cloth to the top of the nib. It just may polish up and turn out to be a two tone nib. If not, you still have a unique nib that hopefully will write wonderfully for you.

#15 PaganArcher

PaganArcher

Heathen Wolf

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:04

Just out of curiosity as I've had a migraine affecting my vision, but am I the only one unable to see the ink windows in the photos? Or does the 146 not have ink windows?

hvars þú böl kannt kveðu þat bölvi at ok gefat þínum fjándum frið
“When you see misdeeds, speak out against them, and give your enemies no frið”
Hávamál 127

#16 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:34

The 146 always has an ink window and is a piston filling pen.

If they are full of black ink, or have been filled with iron gall or permanent black ink, the ink windows might be less visible.

acicekler:  How do both of these pens fill with ink?

flying-letter-exc.png

#17 Driften

Driften

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2017 - 19:08

Just out of curiosity as I've had a migraine affecting my vision, but am I the only one unable to see the ink windows in the photos? Or does the 146 not have ink windows?

The ink window can just be hard to see if the pen is full of ink.... You really to hold it up to a light at times. If the pen is empty they should be really easy to see.

Sponsored Content

|