My Mont Blanc 146 Pen Is Original Or Not?

acicekler

Hello everyone.

I and my friend bought these mont blanc pens. But we didn't find the same nib like our pens. It is like the nib doesn't fit to the pen.

There are notchs on the top and the bottom sides of the nips as you can see from the pictures. The seller told us that pens are from 1970 or 1980s.

If someone helps us about the pens, we would be appreciated.

Best,

post-139071-0-68778300-1506015950_thumb.jpg

post-139071-0-03140700-1506015959_thumb.jpg

post-139071-0-86730700-1506015970_thumb.jpg

post-139071-0-97546800-1506015980_thumb.jpg

post-139071-0-54736500-1506015990_thumb.jpg

post-139071-0-17574200-1506016011_thumb.jpg

post-139071-0-46709500-1506016018_thumb.jpg

post-139071-0-62991500-1506016051_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• acicekler

• meiers

• CS388

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have a monotone gold nib there. Theyre wonderful. And yes they were made in the 1970s.

Your pen appears to be authentic.

Edited by meiers

I'm glad to hear that.
However, I couldn't see the nib exactly like ours.
Our nib is just golden yellow but when I search on the internet the other 70's nibs has golden yellow and silver
Thank you very much

You have a monotone gold nib there. Theyre wonderful. And yes they were made in the 1970s.

Your pen appears to be authentic.

I'm glad to hear that.
However, I couldn't see the nib exactly like ours.
Our nib is just golden yellow but when I search on the internet the other 70's nibs has golden yellow and silver like picture
Thank you very much

post-139071-0-94685000-1506019891_thumb.jpg

Edited by acicekler

The newer 146 nibs are two-tone. The monotone gold nibs are from the earlier 146 pens - and preferred by some people.

The two notches at the foot of the nib are to fit the nib-removal tool (available separately)

Great pens. Hope you enjoy them.

So what it looks like to me is an early 1990s 146 (if it is authentic) with a two tone nib where the rhodium plating has worn off. It is not the older monotone nibs from the 1970s though 1980s. Those monotone nibs have a different stamping and were marked 14C. The feed looks like the early resin feed, and they used 14K nibs for a while before moving to 18K.

For me the pictures are not good enough quality to judge authenticity. If it is a piston filler with an ink window, it is more likely than not authentic.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The stock photo you showed is a late 1980s to 1990s nib, before moving to 14K. The feed is appropriate for that era on your pen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

So what it looks like to me is an early 1990s 146 (if it is authentic) with a two tone nib where the rhodium plating has worn off. It is not the older monotone nibs from the 1970s though 1980s. Those monotone nibs have a different stamping and were marked 14C. The feed looks like the early resin feed, and they used 14K nibs for a while before moving to 18K.

For me the pictures are not good enough quality to judge authenticity. If it is a piston filler with an ink window, it is more likely than not authentic.

+1 for this. Monotone nibs have a different design on them to two-tone nibs. This is clearly a two-tone nib where the rhodium plating in the centre has worn off.

They look authentic to me, especially with that feed, and the two notches mentioned on the nib feeder cases. :)

Ah, yes. Well spotted. Plating worn, or polished off. I missed that.

Still erring on the side of authenticity, from what we can see.

Thanks.

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you, I'm starting to learn something about fountain pen.

I bought this Mont Blanc for 250 euros. Is it expensive if we assume it is a authentic?

Best

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you guys, I'm starting to learn something. I bought the pen for 250 euros. is it expensive if you assume it is original

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you, I'm starting to learn something about fountain pen.

I bought this Mont Blanc for 250 euros. Is it expensive if we assume it is a authentic?

Best

Thank you very much for anyone who gives comments. Thanks to you guys, I'm starting to learn something. I bought the pen for 250 euros. is it expensive if you assume it is original

Based upon my recent experience shopping for 146's at the DC Pen Supershow - that's a fair and reasonable price for that pen - assuming it's authentic.

Enjoy!

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

Take a Jewel's cloth to the top of the nib. It just may polish up and turn out to be a two tone nib. If not, you still have a unique nib that hopefully will write wonderfully for you.

Just out of curiosity as I've had a migraine affecting my vision, but am I the only one unable to see the ink windows in the photos? Or does the 146 not have ink windows?

The 146 always has an ink window and is a piston filling pen.

If they are full of black ink, or have been filled with iron gall or permanent black ink, the ink windows might be less visible.

acicekler: How do both of these pens fill with ink?

Just out of curiosity as I've had a migraine affecting my vision, but am I the only one unable to see the ink windows in the photos? Or does the 146 not have ink windows?

The ink window can just be hard to see if the pen is full of ink.... You really to hold it up to a light at times. If the pen is empty they should be really easy to see.