Wing Sung 3008

Nyanzilla

It's good to have a larger sample of these 3008 clones, and helpful to hear about the cleaning issues. At my age it would not be wise to put green ink in a purple pen so my latest will probably always carry some shade of purple. But I will try to remember NOT to use it to test the colors of new inks as it may well be contaminated.

Edited by bob_hayden

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• IndigoBOB

• Nyanzilla

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just received one of these (in pale purple)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Wing-Sung-Metal-Plastic-Fountain-Pen-Extra-Fine-EF-Nib-0-38-0-5mm-Gift/202093127801?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502211527432&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

sold under this eBay heading

2018 Wing Sung Metal/Plastic Fountain Pen Extra Fine EF Nib 0.38/0.5mm Gift

though the listing covers numerous different pens. I don't think it is a real Wing Sung -- it is not so marked, and is missing the metallic trim ring around the open end of the cap and has a Safari-like pocket clip that looks like a paper clip (not a flattened paper clip).

It's good to have a larger sample of these 3008 clones,

Are you talking about the model shown when you select 'OF03133-Purple' as the colour (for US$2.39), or the one when you select 'Transparent Silver Clip-Purple' as the colour (for US$2.89)?

I don't see how the former is even remotely a clone of the Wing Sung 3008; it looks nothing like any of the thirty WS3008 pens I have ordered from various sellers.

The latter is actually a Wing Sung 3008, if the product image for it is correct. You can see that from the writing on the corner of the silver label on the cap that is shown.

fpn_1546045091__wing_sung_3008_or_not.jp

Image source: eBay

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The pen I received looks like the one in your top photo. As I stated in my post, it has no metal band on the open end of the cap and a different clip than a real 3008. Here is the reason I thought it was being marketed as a 3008. When I click on the eBay link I provided and scroll down to the item description the headline says

Welcome

2018 Wing Sung 3008 Metal/Plastic Fountain Pen Extra Fine EF Nib 0.38/0.5mm Gift

Edited by bob_hayden

Fair enough, I guess. Some of the product selection options also bring up images of what are obviously – by the writing on the stickers – Wing Sung 3003 and PenBBS 309 models pens, not Wing Sung 3008 mentioned in the static text.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That's weird. I recently purchased one that claims to be a 3008. It looks same as the above but with a different clip.

post-114545-0-97125600-1546106005_thumb.jpg

The nib was absolutely rubbish. It was extremely soft and ductile, so it bent with low pressure and got broken easily.

I replaced it with a Lamy nib I had in spare. Now the pen writes quite well, but the ink flow is a bit inconsistent. At the beginning it will write very wet and become normal wet by time. It won't dry even after two pages. So this ist not big an issue.

I hope this is adifferent model and not the actual revision of the 3008. That would be a pitty as the old version is a nice pen with a good nib for its price.

Edited by Nyanzilla

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

Nyanzilla,

I have seen pens similar to the 3008 online with that flattened Safari clip but I have no idea who makes them. If it is a real WS it will usually say so somewhere. On my 3008s it says so on that trim band at the open end of the cap as shown in the photo above yours. My clones do not have that band and it looks like yours does not either. On other WS it may be on the nib or the finial. There are many different clones of the WS 6359 so I would not be surprised if there are multiple clones of the 3008 as well. Wimpy nibs are a common complaint about the clones though I am happy with the nibs in the two clones I purchased.

For those who do not have the listing for my lavender pen in front of them, the main heading says it is for a WS 3008, but as noted above there are many other pens for sale in that same listing. But for the pen I bought, the individual listing for that pen also claims it is a 3008 (in pink and purple prose a ways down the page) so I do not think they are being honest about that.

To add to the confusion, there are listings for a Wing Sung 3009 which has the unflattened Lamy clip but no trim band around the open end of the cap. jewelrymathematics is one (reliable) seller of that pen and his photos show :3009" on the trim ring by the twisty and the WS logo on the nib.

For popular models of Chinese pens I think it's important to look for some indication of the brand in the photos and to buy from sellers with a feedback score above 99.5%.

Edited by bob_hayden

• 2 months later...

I got four of these about a week ago from a seller on Amazon. Pretty nice for the price. I’ve flushed all with diluted soapy water before inking. I’ve found I’ve had to tweak the nibs a bit by spreading the tines on 2 out of the 4, but after that, they are all writing nicely.

I just gave one to high school freshman daughter of a friend who likes to draw, I’m giving another to someone in my office who’s expressed interest in fountain pens and keeping 2, for now. I may end up giving the last 2 away over time; if I do, I’ll probably then get a Wing Sung 698 to keep.

But, for the moment, having paid about $4.00 per pen, I’m enjoying the cheap thrills and putting inks in them that I don’t want to put into my Sailors and Pilots.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

But, for the moment, having paid about $4.00 per pen, I’m enjoying the cheap thrills and putting inks in them

I think you have just described why I'm attracted to Chinese pens in general.

I just ordered an extra-fine Lamy Safari replacement nib to install on one of my 3008s.

Again, a bit of inexpensive fun.

I may report back here with results.

My 3008s arrived last week,, and thank goodness I got the real McCoy. Apart from having to order med. nibs to replace the fine, it is a nice pen for the price. I paid $2.79 for my pens - and to think a piston filler. This pen holds quite a bit of ink, and as much as I write, it still takes much more than a day to empty it. Am now on day three, and there is still enough ink to complete what I am planning to write today. Though I am not satisfied with the seller, he did not send me a fake 3008.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered two 3008s from a seller on Ebay - total cost including upgrading to epack shipping was $7.95. I recently swore off "cheap" Chinese pens but the selection and quality seems to be on the upswing compared to what I was buying when I first got into the hobby. Of course, it may be that I'm being a bit more picky about the brands and sellers...

I ordered four more Wing Sung 3008 pens on eBay last week, just to top up the total amount of an order to meet the qualifying threshold for applying a 10%-off discount code. For these pens to be on offer for around A$3 is just incredible. (I still have a bunch of the acrylic M4x6mm screws left over, so there will be no problem pre-emptively replacing the finial screws in the caps.)

Question for those who may have both the Wing Sung 3008 and the 698: is the nib on the 698 the same as on the 3008?

As I noted above, I replaced the nib on one of my 3008s with a Lamy EF nib. This pen is now one of my favorite writers. It writes smoothly and well and the line it puts down is about .5 (rough estimate based on my .02, .03 & .05 Preppys). I love the idea that, having bought 4 (and given away 2) I still have a backup pen if and when the mechanism breaks. From various posts here it seems that the 698 is more sturdily built, but I am wondering why I should get a 698 since I have Lamy-upgraded 3008 and another pen ready to put the nib onto should this one fail. I am really pleased that this pen cost around $4.00 plus the $14.00 for the Lamy nib. I’m thinking about a 698 purchase also, but if the nibs are the same don’t see any good reason to do so.

Thanks for any replies.

Maurizio, the nib on a 698 resembles the nib on the Pilot Metropolitan.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Ah . . . thanks Bobje.

So it is different. To me this means another category of fun and I’ll have to get one of those also.

These Wing Sungs are really a nice bunch of inexpensive fun. I have no qualms about putting potentially problematic inks in them which I wouldn’t dare to put into my Pilots or Sailors. For me, that’s loads of carefree fun for $4.00 or less than $20.00.

I prefered the 3008 body and nib but it falls apart easier (I don't use mine anymore after the nib flew off while writing during a meeting). The 698 stock nib is a little boring and the body is indeed more sturdy, but the threads are sharp and uncomfortable.

• 2 months later...

Thats really weird. I've got eight of these pens and none has got a rusty screw. My first one has been continuously filled with ink for 1.5 years now. :o

I had to buy 8 of them...from Amazon. Four in EF with silvertone trim, four in F with goldtone trim. I have four of them inked now and they're fun.

What's odd is that some of them have the clear feed, and some black, and within the same set, too.

They all look as though they have the Lamy-esque nibs.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Are you talking about the model shown when you select 'OF03133-Purple' as the colour (for US$2.39), or the one when you select 'Transparent Silver Clip-Purple' as the colour (for US$2.89)?

I don't see how the former is even remotely a clone of the Wing Sung 3008; it looks nothing like any of the thirty WS3008 pens I have ordered from various sellers.

The latter is actually a Wing Sung 3008, if the product image for it is correct. You can see that from the writing on the corner of the silver label on the cap that is shown.

fpn_1546045091__wing_sung_3008_or_not.jp

Image source: eBay

The top pen is listed as a Wing Sung 3009 on Amazon for $15.99 for (4) pcs.. On Ebay you can

find a clear 3009 ranging in price from $2.69+, and the 3009 purple for $11.15, or (4) pcs. $34.40.

A purple WS 3008, by a USA seller, is listed at $7.29.

s-l1600.jpg

Wing Sung 3009

That's weird. I recently purchased one that claims to be a 3008. It looks same as the above but with a different clip.

attachicon.gif IMG_0152.JPG

The nib was absolutely rubbish. It was extremely soft and ductile, so it bent with low pressure and got broken easily.

I replaced it with a Lamy nib I had in spare. Now the pen writes quite well, but the ink flow is a bit inconsistent. At the beginning it will write very wet and become normal wet by time. It won't dry even after two pages. So this ist not big an issue.

I hope this is adifferent model and not the actual revision of the 3008. That would be a pitty as the old version is a nice pen with a good nib for its price.

I also got the exact same model from Aliexpress, cost me only $1.6 incl. shipping, from here.

First time, after the fill, the nib was rubbish, but it was from a simple tine misalignment. After a little adjustment (didn't even use loupe, did a rough adjustment with a hard brass plate). Now it writes butter smooth. Also the ink flow is consistent. I've tried a Diamine ink and Zycc dark blue ink (which I believe is a refill of Hero inks).

The only downside is that the nib feels it's made of a softer metal, and can be bent easier comparing to other pens that I own.

Happy with the pen so far.

At that price I wonder if you got a real 3008. Those should have a metal band around the open end of the cap which has the numeral "3008" and two Chinese characters. It's hard for me to be more specific as I can't always tell which pen is the one "above". An alternative is e.g. "the first pen pictured in Post #123". If you read this whole thread you will find discussion of various imitation 3008s.