Nib Identification

Forrester

Hi everyone!

I have a nib unit that I found in a box of random bits and pieces. Other parts in the box were from Pelikan pens.

I'm wondering if this nib unit is also Pelikan and if so, from what era or what pen would it be part of? Any information on identifying this nib might let me get it into a pen!

I don't own any Pelikans yet so I am unfamiliar with them.

Thank you everyone!

post-134406-0-25354800-1505976650_thumb.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mana

• joss

• sargetalon

• Forrester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This nib is not from pelikan but from the "Bock" nib company. Bock produces high quality nibs since the early 1940s for many pen manufacturers.

Its history is here:

www.peter-bock.com/company/company-history

Check also here:

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany

The 1950s Bock logo looks a bit different from what you show so my guess is that your nib is later.

There was also a company that made fairly good fake Bock nibs with a goat that wasn't quite as good, facing the opposite direction.

When I was 'noobie' I had the stupid impression only in house nibs were any good. :rolleyes: :blush:

I almost threw out a Bock and a Degussa nib. :yikes: :doh: :doh: I had never heard of them. Ignorance can be costly.

Heidelberg nib makers. Rupp-1922-1970.

Osmia 1922, needing money again sold it's nib factory to Degussa in 1932. Degussa continued to make the grand Osmia nibs, made the same nibs for others that Osmia had made, and continued making nibs to either @1970 or I heard they made to 1990.

Like Bock, you could get what you wanted with your company's standard and name. So it is possible to get cheaper nibs if that company wants them.

Bock started making nibs in 1938.

I have gold and steel Bock vintage nibs, including a semi-flex one.

Many complain about Bock nibs.....which are found with other company imprints on many famous pens, like Visconti and Delta. The companies decide what they are willing to pay for, and Bock will make them a nib and feed to that cost.

Bock will also make a better nib to a higher cost.

So when folks complain keep in mind, they might have the cheaper made Bock nibs.

I find the vintage ones to be as good as any of the old names.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a vintage Bock nib from a German Schlicht pen (made in the 50s). It is of very thin stock, makes an EEF line with no pressure and is also very flexible. The closest parallel to that one is an IBIS nib (pre-war IIRC) that is also of thin stock and flexible in the same manner (goes from EEF to B and more easily). Very expressive. I have been planning on mounting those to existing feeds as the pens they came in are pretty much shot (piston seal in Schilcht, barrel in the IBIS, old celluloid that crumbled like compressed sugar).

On that note, I just dismantled a 100N nib and feed assembly that came from a previous 100N. Unfortunately the other tine of that nib is severely creased and the tipping is missing. I need to send that for retipping to a nice BB stub or something other of that sort... so that leaves me with a feed and collar for a 100N.

I think I know what I am going to tinker with later today... :eureka:

That's definitely the Bock logo and I don't recall any Pelikan sporting that type of nib. It's pretty though.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan