Low Budget, Big Dreams - A Section For Jowo Assembly And Cheap Pen Body

rogerbikeswim

Hello, I'm interested in learning how to make a fountain pen section that will accept a JoWo nib/feed assembly. I'd like to start by using easily available and inexpensive pen bodies, like the Jinhao x750. However, I am not married to this pen - I just know it is cheap and easily sourced.

My understanding is that the #6 JoWo assembly needs m7 .4 x .5 taps. And that's about all I know, haha.

Is there is a way to build a section that will work with a Jinhao x750 and accept the JoWo assembly? I'd be interested to learn about 3d printing or basic pen turning if there are low cost options. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

tCRHb8U.jpg uMTFdHD.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerbikeswim

• Bo Bo Olson

• Driften

• Ted A

Don't know.....I do know that one can get a good used*** pen, for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of some lower middle class new pens.

It's just one might have to wait two paydays to gather up the scratch. Not going out on Saturday night accelerates the process and frees up enough for a better pen.

Look at the sales section on the com.....they have to back their pen or lose their good name.

***used modern, semi-vintage (mid 90's to '70) vintage ('70- '50 or earlier.) One can get a top of the line pen for $50.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Don't know.....I do know that one can get a good used*** pen, for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of some lower middle class new pens.

It's just one might have to wait two paydays to gather up the scratch. Not going out on Saturday night accelerates the process and frees up enough for a better pen.

Look at the sales section on the com.....they have to back their pen or lose their good name.

***used modern, semi-vintage (mid 90's to '70) vintage ('70- '50 or earlier.) One can get a top of the line pen for $50.

Thanks. I have been looking in the sales section, but I find that I like tinkering with mine and my girlfriends pens almost as much as writing with them. I appreciate the comment.

So you want to buy an $100 tap and die to be able to use $25 Jowo nib units in a $10 body? Note you will also need a die to match the pen body it will screw into. Why not just buy an Edison, Franklin-Christoph, or other pen that uses Jowo nib units to start with? Seems cheeper and less likely to leak. Or if you want to use the TWSBI units buy a TWSBI pen. They cost less that that tap/die set.

FYI some pen kits have sections that are compatible with Jowo units. I expect none would screw into someone else body, but who knows. If you want to learn to make pens go to the other forum section, but don't expect it to be cheep. I have more then $1000 invested in lathe stuff and I started out with a reconditioned mini lathe.

So you want to buy an $100 tap and die to be able to use $25 Jowo nib units in a $10 body? Note you will also need a die to match the pen body it will screw into. Why not just buy an Edison, Franklin-Christoph, or other pen that uses Jowo nib units to start with? Seems cheeper and less likely to leak. Or if you want to use the TWSBI units buy a TWSBI pen. They cost less that that tap/die set.

FYI some pen kits have sections that are compatible with Jowo units. I expect none would screw into someone else body, but who knows. If you want to learn to make pens go to the other forum section, but don't expect it to be cheep. I have more then $1000 invested in lathe stuff and I started out with a reconditioned mini lathe.

I know where the OP is coming from.

The appeal of this idea is obvious. You can buy a word-class nib unit for about twelve pounds in British money, so it would be nice to be able to get equally cheap pen bodies to put them in. After all, Edison or F-C to all intents and purposes merely make tubes that hold these nibs.

Of course, contained in that "merely" is a multitude of wonderful pens from both companies. The point is that given that the business-end can be had for relatively little, it seems a shame that decent, frill-free tubes can't so easily be got for about the same.

Edited by lurcho

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, all. My apologies for the delay in my reply.

I think Lurcho has it correct. I'm having trouble with the idea of investing in pens with so little knowledge. No matter how many reviews I read or fountain pen videos I watch, it doesn't compare to having the pen in your hands. And if you are new to fountain pens, there is a universe of options available. How do you ever find out what you like best without sampling much of what's to offer. And my idea was to find some cheap "tubes" and swap in and out some well reviewed nibs.

Driften and Ted A, thank you for the information. I find the pen making process fascinating, as well as the pen repair and pen tuning processes. I think I will go lurk over in the Pen Turning and Making section. Although, I might not rush out and but a lathe just yet.

I appreciate all the comments.

curious, why not just switch the nib? if i'm not mistaken, Jinhao x750 accept #6 nib..

That would be my suggestion. There are a *bunch* of inexpensive pen bodies that hold #6 nibs. Swapping out a compatible nib is not major surgery; they are just friction fit. Pull one out, get the other one lined up against the feed and push it back in.

Yet another Sarah.

The pens I go for are those with swappable nibs, especially #6 nibs.

I use Jinhao x750's and x450's and with a good #6 nib like those from Goulet or Franklin Christoph I was able to have a pen that worked just as well 150+$ pens.

In fact, I would do comparison testings with pens in the 100-200$ range and ended up not buying them because these cheap jinhao modded pens worked just as well and most of the time were more comfortable for me.

I did end up ordering from Scriptorium Pens because Renee make's #6 compatible pens. She's one to emulate if you're into working on your own pens.

I agree, though, to find out what you want I recommend trying everything out that you can with a set of calipers and a scale to find out what shape and sized section, body, and overall size of a pen you prefer.

But if you have that curiosity of making your own that would be pretty interesting to check it out and pursuit as far as you like.

Edited by IndigoBOB