The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Help Making The Right Choice

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 megt

megt

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 13:03

Hi everyone,

I want to buy a Mont Blanc pen for my boyfriend's birthday. Unfortunately, I cannot spend the amount of money I would like to due to being in between jobs. I have never bought a pen before and would really appreciate your help.

To start with, there are a couple of options on ebay that seem good -

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2471758.m4704

http://www.ebay.co.u...353.m1438.l2649

Do you think it is worth buying from ebay? The most I can spend is £300 - perhaps buying a new pen from the store will be better?

Thank you so much!

Sponsored Content

#2 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 13:49

Buyer beware.
i don't think it's worth it. I have seen a lot of fakes there.
Ballpoint pens and rollerball pens particularly.

I'd go to an authorized dealer.

Edited by meiers, 20 September 2017 - 13:55.

#3 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 14:53

For that kind of money you can easily purchase a magnificent authentic ballpoint from the classifieds here or even a fountain pen.

If it's a ballpoint pen you want to gift. There are also other VERY GOOD ballpoint pen makers: Lamy, Caran d'ache.... the list is long.

Fake Montblanc ballpoint pens and rollerball pens are sometimes very hard to spot. My advice: purchase from a reputable source.

Edited by meiers, 20 September 2017 - 15:31.

#4 megt

megt

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 15:48

For that kind of money you can easily purchase a magnificent authentic ballpoint from the classifieds here or even a fountain pen.

If it's a ballpoint pen you want to gift. There are also other VERY GOOD ballpoint pen makers: Lamy, Caran d'ache.... the list is long.

Fake Montblanc ballpoint pens and rollerball pens are sometimes very hard to spot. My advice: purchase from a reputable source.

Thanks!

I know that fountain pen would not be the right choice for him so I will stick with ballpoint.
He has been looking at Mont Blanc pens at the airport and marvelling at how beautiful they are - he has no other expensive pens so it will be his first one. I thought I should stick with the brand he seems most keen about.

If I were to buy either of the two pens I posted from eBay, I was thinking I can always bring the pen to the flagship store in London to make sure its authentic and if not, return it.

I have 8 more days to figure it out and all advice is truly appreciated!

Edited by megt, 20 September 2017 - 15:50.

#5 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 16:02

You can almost always buy from an authorized delaer for cheaper than direct from MB. I would contact someone either in the UK or like Appelboom in the Netherlands so see what discounts are possible. That way, as Meiers said, you will not run the risk of a fake and have a warranty for any issues.

#6 megt

megt

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 16:10

You can almost always buy from an authorized delaer for cheaper than direct from MB. I would contact someone either in the UK or like Appelboom in the Netherlands so see what discounts are possible. That way, as Meiers said, you will not run the risk of a fake and have a warranty for any issues.

Thank you so much, I didnt even think of looking at authorised dealers. I will definitely do some more research now.

By the way, I just got a PM here by izods ink and they seem to have some good new/unused options on their website. Would be great to hear feedback if you guys have dealt with them.

Thanks again!

#7 dubhe

dubhe

Away at Sea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 16:50

Roy at izods is very good, and reputable so you can buy from him with no concerns.

#8 littlepen

littlepen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 18:20

If your in the uk "the pen shop" have Montblancs on sale under your budget . ( no affiliation)

#9 mmks

mmks

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 19:12

Hi everyone,

I want to buy a Mont Blanc pen for my boyfriend's birthday. Unfortunately, I cannot spend the amount of money I would like to due to being in between jobs. I have never bought a pen before and would really appreciate your help.

Do you think it is worth buying from ebay? The most I can spend is £300 - perhaps buying a new pen from the store will be better?

Thank you so much!

Hi megt, there is a Montblanc outlet in Bicester Village near Oxford. Not sure how close you are but they sell pens with 30 to 40 % discount so worth the trip. I've bought a few pens from there and the staff are really friendly, you could call them to see what they have in stock and they'll hold it for you.
Hope that helps!

#10 Cordovian

Cordovian

Oh, shiny.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 20:44

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much!

Like others have said, there are a lot of fake MBs out there and Ebay is loaded with them.

If you dig into the seller of the doue you'll find that he's already sold that pen twice in the last 10 days. That's a big red flag. Either he has the worst luck with non-paying bidders or he has multiples of the pen which means they're likely to be fake.

That seller also also has another user ID: https://www.ebay.co....=p2047675.l2559. There is a Louis Vuiton key pouch listed under this ID that was sold 10 days ago under the user ID where the pen is listed. I imagine that is a fake as well.

Oh, and both the sellers have low feedback. That's another red flag.  :)

#11 megt

megt

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:09

Like others have said, there are a lot of fake MBs out there and Ebay is loaded with them.

If you dig into the seller of the doue you'll find that he's already sold that pen twice in the last 10 days. That's a big red flag. Either he has the worst luck with non-paying bidders or he has multiples of the pen which means they're likely to be fake.

That seller also also has another user ID: https://www.ebay.co....=p2047675.l2559. There is a Louis Vuiton key pouch listed under this ID that was sold 10 days ago under the user ID where the pen is listed. I imagine that is a fake as well.

Oh, and both the sellers have low feedback. That's another red flag.  :)

Thank you so much! I noticed that the seller sold the same pen twice and contacted him to ask - his explanation was that the buyer didnt pay. Ultimately, I agree that it is not worth risking it.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. You guys were all really helpful!

I have now ordered a brand new Mont Blanc Starwalker Extreme Fineliner from the Pen Shop (thanks for the recommendation!). It was on sale from 390 to 230 and I also got a 10% discount. It was exactly in my budget and the style of the pen is perfect for my boyfriend.

#12 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:25

Thank you so much! I noticed that the seller sold the same pen twice and contacted him to ask - his explanation was that the buyer didnt pay. Ultimately, I agree that it is not worth risking it.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. You guys were all really helpful!

I have now ordered a brand new Mont Blanc Starwalker Extreme Fineliner from the Pen Shop (thanks for the recommendation!). It was on sale from 390 to 230 and I also got a 10% discount. It was exactly in my budget and the style of the pen is perfect for my boyfriend.

Very Nice - you have a very luck boyfriend!

Sponsored Content

|