Back To Fp. Searching For A Life-Time Pen.

YordleLife

Good day, Fountain Pen fellas. I'm considering picking up fountain pen again and I have not use them since Middle School.

My situation is a bit different, I don't intent to keep more than two pens let alone starting a pen collection of my own. I would save the 3rd pen for my fiancee to pick if I ever going to get marry.

That said, I would love to have at least one pen that's not eye-catching or too business-like or, for lack of a better word, weird, when I try to take notes in class. So a lot of these classic looking cigar shape pens would not fit into this category. For example, I don't mind to use Montblanc 149 at home, but I would never feel comfortable to use it in class without a weird look or two.

For these reasons, I have pick two pens that may fit my needs but am open to suggestions:

School & Work Pen: Pelikan M205 Aquamarine ($150) or Diplomat Aero ($200)

In-House Pen: Undecided, unlimited budget, a pen that would preferably last a life-time since I do not intent to keep more than two pens.

Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bluey

• YordleLife

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mister5

a Conid would be a great every day use pen and would pretty much last a lifetime too. As would a nice Graf von Faber Castell

Edited by SpecTP

Um, every fountain pen looks sufficiently different from a bic stick that if anyone's paying attention, they're going to notice (including your Pelikan and Diplomat). Most people, however, don't pay attention. If I were you, I'd buy a pen because I like it and not worry about what anyone else will think. Why would someone give you a weird look over a MB149, but not over one of your two chosen pens? I don't get it.

That said, one pen I really like in that price range is the Pilot Vanishing Point (amazingly convenient for off & on note-taking). In my experience, the only people who give it a second look are people who already know I'm into fountain pens - I can sit in meetings with a bunch of ballpoint pushers, and they don't even bat an eye. (Of course, whether this works for you will totally depend on your grip.)

If someone is going to look at the nib, it's going to stand out. I'd argue that the hooded nibs don't stand out as much so:

Lamy 2000

Parker 51

A thinner pen like a Lamy CP1 might not stand out. I say a thinner pen since most ballpoints (or even rollerballs) tend to be thin.

Maybe a pen that looks cheap ... Platinum Preppy - great pen but with all the labeling on it, it looks pretty inexpensive, and it is inexpensive... and if you lost a Preppy in class it won't break the bank to get another one.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

A Parker 51 with the aerometric fill mechanism would be an excellent choice. They are well made and well behaved, with nothing "weird" or showy about them.

Agree with the Parker 51 suggestions. They're an excellent "stealth" fountain pen, not to mention great pens period, if the design appeals to you.

Why would someone give you a weird look over a MB149, but not over one of your two chosen pens?

That said, one pen I really like in that price range is the Pilot Vanishing Point (amazingly convenient for off & on note-taking).

Agree. I reckon the classic look of pens like MB149 and gold nib/colors are why these pens raise eyebrows in class. While I have nothing against cartridge/converter filling system, I am, however, much preferred a more complete fountain pen filling experience using piston or vacuum systems. If it weren't for my enjoyment of FP maintenance, variety of ink selections, and nostalgic writing experience FP provides; I would never bother to get back to this business.

Btw, I would love to know why so many blogs/FP enthusiasts recommend Pilot pens, not only Pilot per se, but Japanese brands in general? Any particular reasons they like Japanese FP?

If someone is going to look at the nib, it's going to stand out. I'd argue that the hooded nibs don't stand out as much.

Right on. I'm afraid it is the classic look that brings attention in class maybe? I had had Parker 51 passed down from my parents and it writes phenomenally to this day. Sadly, I haven't keep track of it and I lost it. :(

Since I'm only investing in two pen, might as well think this through before pulling the trigger. I would also like to do a test run at a pen shop and see if I prefer M nib or F nib.

Sorry I leaved out the most important info, my current favorite pen after Middle School is Uni-ball Vision Roller Ball pen. It says 0.7mm for the fine nib version. Uni-ball is from Japan! Oh well, so now Japan has the largest market across all pens in the industry now?? :yikes:

Btw, I would love to know why so many blogs/FP enthusiasts recommend Pilot pens, not only Pilot per se, but Japanese brands in general? Any particular reasons they like Japanese FP?

Because they have the best(ie far less likely to have issues) nibs, and are much better value for money when compared with equivalent [modern] Western pens(which are mostly junk at high prices, and you have named 3 examples of them in your 1st post. High price doesn't mean good quality) as they offer more for less.

A Pilot Metro or Pilot VP with steel alloy nib will provide a good value and useful pen for school/work.

Edited by Bluey

I suggest to find a nice vintage Pelikan 400 (from fifties of XX century)

Fabulous nibs! (nothing to do with modern Pelikan nibs)

A 149 is a huge honking baseball bat....and unfortunately would have a reputation of 'Bling'. Putting on the Dog.

I like the Large 146 much better, is a better balanced pen. I really prefer a vintage '50-60's medium-large 146, which has even better balance and a much better nib. If you are interested in semi-flex nibs. I have three '50-60's MB's, a 234 1/2 Deluxe, a rolled gold 742, and a medium-large 146...all with semi-flex or better nibs. I also have a '70's-80 Large 146 regular flex nib and a modern MB Woolf...with a modern stubbish 'Springy' nib.. I prefer the semi-flex nibs of the '50-60's.

Modern MB has a well deserved reputation of being fat nibs, so if you waste money on a new one order a size smaller than you want.

Vintage MB's gets you a better nib, at a better price.

A Vintage nib is narrower by far over a modern one. A B is a writing nib, not a signature nib. A Oblique nib like an OB from that era is a grand nib to have...........OB in semi-flex is :puddle: ...OM is OK....well I do have other pens that are OF's. :P

I do like the the old fashioned regular flex nibs of the 200's...........I'd suggest an F or an M, in those two sizes are good for shading inks. It should last you a life time.

You might well need a EF nail....for editing or having to scribble small on a form. I don't like cartridge/converter pens, but you may need one. Nails can be had in many makes of pens.

There are a number of pretty :drool: vintage (old-used, cheap) Sheaffer cartridge pens, that a converter can be found for.

They will last a life time. Some of the EF Sheaffer nibs are near as thin as Japanese.

If I was going to only own three pens........ :lticaptd: ...... :bunny01: A '50's 146, a 200....nibs are cheap enough, and a vintage Sheaffer.

(Think about how many inks and good to better paper you can buy with the money you save by buying vintage........ :happyberet: )

Don't go to Richard Binder's site to learn more about nibs, filling systems or read good advice about inks.....................there are too many pretty pens hidden there. B)

IMO you have as much chance to be a three pen man only, as I have of climbing 'El Captain' in Yosemite National Park with out a rope.

If you can limit your self to one 'new' pen a year, you will be doing better than the rest of us addicts.

It is possible to be a two pen man...(normally one ink only also)............not a three pen man. What other at home pen will you buy? And you will. One of the new fancy Brown 800's???? Of course one needs a Dupont. It is the best made pen in the world.

One needs a '30's Pelikan 100 full tortoise...... :wub:

There are if you only get every other width alternating in Cursive Italic and Stub (I really think EF in CI or Stub to be a waste of money), some 40 some odd different nibs of various flexes and widths.

If you are willing to give up your collection of Single Malt Scotches..............buy that next fountain pen. One pen you have is enough.

You have to carry a ball point as is to keep the Ball Point Barbarians from making your nib a pretzel. Be a One Man, One Pen man of back when a cup of coffee costs a nickle. ....You could buy different width nibs for it................. :unsure: :( ...again I lead you down the slippery slope.

Do not buy a second fountain pen. :(

Folks, I'm not worried he'll follow my advice......no one else does. :lticaptd:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Why do you care so much about what other people think of you and your pen? Writing with a fountain pen nowadays is sticking out no matter what pen. I'd buy the pen I really want because it's me writing with it, not them. Chances are that most people can't distinguish between a MB 149, a $10 vintage pen, or a hand crafted limited edition pen several times the price of a 149 anyway. Find what suits you and be happy with it, that's my two cents.

Everyone has an opinion, and everyone likes different pens. Put the suggestions on a list and see if you can inspect them hands on. You will find something you will like.

Personally I like Parker 51. I've been using one for 47 years. Pelikan from M2xx to M6xx. Montblanc 144.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Wait...only having 3 pens is a thing? I went for a while with only a rollerball and ballpoint for a while in black and red until I disconnected from the Matrix. I just started this a matter of weeks ago and I already have 5, 2 in the mail, and bids on 3 more.

I agree, you're definitely going to want to go to a pen shop or show. However, it's more than just a couple of sizes you mentioned. Different manufacturers will have nuances, size variations, and countless other variables I'm still learning. What about all the inks? Paper?

Maybe pen 1 should be black and pen 2 should be white B)