The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Greetings From The Commonwealth Of Virginia

noob virginia nonfiction christian advice quality micron fountain pen crane crest bible

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FireParamedicChaplain

FireParamedicChaplain

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 14:04

Hello, everyone! My name is Keith and, while I have been writing for many years, I have never given much thought to the quality of the pen, pencil, or paper that I've used. This has recently changed since I am preparing to begin working on copywork that I intend to pass down to my children as an heirloom; the Bible, both old and new testament, written in my hand (ESV translation).

I just bought a ream of Crane's Crest 20lb. 100% cotton paper, but I am still trying figure out what pen to use. I have used (and am quite comfortable with) my Sakura Pigma Micron (005) pens for writing in my study Bible's. Unless I find something of better quality that does not have a tendency to bleed through the page, I plan on using these for my copy work. That being said, I have always been interested in fountain pens, but my experience with them has not been very good. Every one I have ever used has had a tendency to stop writing at the most inopportune times.

I am also planning on either binding the finished product myself or having it professionally done, so I welcome advice in that area as well.

Thank you all in advance for your time and thoughts!

Sponsored Content

#2 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 14:16

Greetings and welcome to FPN.

Buy a vintage Parker 51 aerometric. It would never stop writing until it consumes the last drop of the ink.

For the binding I would advise having it done by a professional book binder.
Khan M. Ilyas

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 14:43

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

I smell

you smell

we all smell

Hopewell.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 15:17

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#5 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 15:28

:W2FPN:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#6 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 16:54

Welcome aboard, Keith, from Charleston, SC. That's going to be quite the project, and you are right to spend time researching each of the components of paper, pen, and ink. How your writing appears on the page is a complex interplay of the paper, ink, pen, nib, and your hand. Many here will attest to the ease and comfort of writing with fountain pens when compared to the usual ballpoints, etc. If you are not familiar with pens apart from ballpoints and rollerballs/gel pens, there is much available to you beyond these that will give your finished product a different look. Different nibs give different line width and variation. Different inks can affect readability and how long the writing survives on the page( inks can fade, and can change color over time). Some pens may provide more comfort than others during long writing sessions. You can find information about these topics and more here on the Forums. Regarding inks, you might start on the Ink Forum, subforum Inky Thoughts, Topic A Newbie's Guide to Inks-Part III ( this topic gives links to the earlier parts) for basic info on inks. There are forums here about papers, as well as writing projects (The Write Stuff).You can always use the search function for specific questions on previous posts, and if no luck there, ask the specific question on the appropriate forum or ask for direction to the appropriate forum. You might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and it will help you avoid making some mistakes. A couple of other websites with useful information for newbies include PenChalet, Jetpens and the Goulet Pen Company. Goulet has made quite a few videos available on their website and on YouTube, which are helpful with some procedures related to FP use, should you delve into using a fountain pen for your project. Good luck.

#7 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 17:51

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. 

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

#8 PenChalet

PenChalet

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 19:11

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Network!    :W2FPN:  We're glad to have you with us!

Good luck with your task!

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 19:40

Hello Keith and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:​ 

#10 DaveT

DaveT

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 23:07

Keith, hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

#11 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2017 - 23:17

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#12 fjoly79ink

fjoly79ink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 00:40

welcome to FPN, Keith, I'm glad you found us!  I looked at the pens you are using, of course I have to hint that you should test a fountain pen, like a Pilot Metropolitan which is affordable (roughly $15.00).  Our friend Herrjaeger came with very good comments earlier and you are at the right place if you have more questions!

Good luck in your searches,

Francois

#13 Henricum_Tropen

Henricum_Tropen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:42

Hello Keith and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noob, virginia, nonfiction, christian, advice, quality, micron, fountain pen, crane crest, bible

Sponsored Content

|