The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Noodler's Pen

noodlers

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 18:35

You can buy Noodler's reusable cartridges.  They fit the Neponset and the Ahab. 

Sponsored Content

#22 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 22:48

FPNoob, some sorta can. The Ahab and Neoponset have special carts that you full with ink and twist shut. Nothing disposable though.

This one won't. Safety pens are eyedroppers.

Do you like cartridges?

#23 Memory

Memory

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:48

There's the 308 resealable cartridge that retails for $10 for 5 on Goulet. If I'm kooking at a sample or want to post an ink review, those 308 cartridges are amazing. I can swap out inks quickly and flush the nib in order to clear it out for the review. Plus you can seal the 308s to take them on the road.

If you vastly prefer the plunger type piston, feel free to PM me. I've done extras I'll never use ;)

#24 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:23

I'm very excited for this pen. I already went and bought the ink for it. I was also looking at getting a bottle of the J. Herbin Lawyers Ink to use in it (supposedly not safe for fountain pens either). I contacted the place I got the ink and they told me it was going to be here in a couple of weeks, which means possibly next week.

In the meantime, I'm also thinking of taking my first "dip" into safety pens by trying to find a reasonably priced one at the Ohio show this weekend.

#25 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:57

I hope he'll find a way to make a demostrator version... the inner part of the new safety pen is just too cool not to be shown off with a clear body..

#26 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:01

I'm very excited for this pen. I already went and bought the ink for it. I was also looking at getting a bottle of the J. Herbin Lawyers Ink to use in it (supposedly not safe for fountain pens either). I contacted the place I got the ink and they told me it was going to be here in a couple of weeks, which means possibly next week.

In the meantime, I'm also thinking of taking my first "dip" into safety pens by trying to find a reasonably priced one at the Ohio show this weekend.

Bought the ink from Pen Chalet? Cool! Which one? Or did you get all 4?

Fyi - I've been doing some safety repair, and would love to get more experience! If you pick one up in need of repair, I'd love to do it for you for a few bucks!

I hope he'll find a way to make a demostrator version... the inner part of the new safety pen is just too cool not to be shown off with a clear body..

They aren't typically done in plastic because it's more reactive than hard rubber/ebonite. Some dip pen inks have some really harsh substances in them that would destroy plastic. Since safeties are typically meant to be used with dip ink, they're rarely made with material that'd be destroyed by them.

They do exist though - Pentooling.com is selling one right now. 

I agree that it's a beautiful mechanism!

There's the 308 resealable cartridge that retails for $10 for 5 on Goulet. If I'm kooking at a sample or want to post an ink review, those 308 cartridges are amazing. I can swap out inks quickly and flush the nib in order to clear it out for the review. Plus you can seal the 308s to take them on the road.

If you vastly prefer the plunger type piston, feel free to PM me. I've done extras I'll never use ;)

Fyi, Pen Chalet sells 'em at $1 each, and the Noodler's nibs at $1 each too. Much better prices!

#27 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2017 - 14:32

Bought the ink from Pen Chalet? Cool! Which one? Or did you get all 4?

Fyi - I've been doing some safety repair, and would love to get more experience! If you pick one up in need of repair, I'd love to do it for you for a few bucks!

Yeah, that surprised me. Only two places I found those inks were Pen Chalet and Venness. And Pen Chalet was the one who advertised it, so I didn't know Vanness had it until after I placed my order. I only got the black and blue. I'll probably go back and get the Green and "tea" but considering I don't currently have any pens that can take it (my only dip pens are "dip-less" Esterbrooks and that won't work), I'll have to wait a bit.

And thank you VERY much for that offer. I really prefer to buy my pens broken and give them to someone to fix. It isn't for any kind of money saving (I usually don't, anyway). But I have a sense of pride in using something very old that was at one time discarded and now loved by me. I don't usually see vendors with broken pens at Ohio, unfortunately, but you can count on a PM should I come across one.

By the way, currently wearing an Elgin military issue A-11 watch that was bought in rusted pieces. Issued 1943. Runs like a dream right now. Pride!

#28 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 23:16

The new Noodler's safety pen seems to be available now - at least, it's available from Pure Pens in the UK, so I assume it is also available now from US retailers for Noodler's

#29 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 00:31

I don't see it in the USA yet.  Thanks for the heads up.  A friend of mine is interested in this pen.

#30 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 00:53

Thanks.  I'm on the lookout for it too.  Hoping to get a couple before Christmas.

#31 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 16:54

Just got word from the Noodler's distributor that Pen Chalet will have them within a week or so! 

Edited by EMQG, 05 December 2017 - 16:55.

#32 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 17:01

Just got word from the Noodler's distributor that Pen Chalet will have them within a week or so! 

I'd been talking with Pen Chalet about it for over a month.  They say the date keeps slipping.  Hopefully the distributor's word is a bit more accurate.  I'm surprised at what a limited run these things are getting.  Even the Purepens site said this is a one shot deal.

After seeing their pic of the nib, I wonder what kind of flex, if any, it will have.

#33 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 18:54

I think part of the date slippage (as well as the possible limited run part) is due to manufacturing issues -- at least from what Nathan Tardif told me at the Commonwealth Pen Show in September....   I really hope the pens come out soon -- I really want one.

Of course this just gave me an odd thought -- I wonder if any of Nathan's pen designs are patented....  :huh: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#34 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 19:45

I'd been talking with Pen Chalet about it for over a month.  They say the date keeps slipping.  Hopefully the distributor's word is a bit more accurate.  I'm surprised at what a limited run these things are getting.  Even the Purepens site said this is a one shot deal.

After seeing their pic of the nib, I wonder what kind of flex, if any, it will have.

There will be a very limited run this year. I am not sure of the total as of yet.  There will be more next year.  I hope this helps.

^The above is what Carol Gillette (Noodler's distributor in the US) told me.

The nib is the same nib from the Noodler's Nib Creaper. It's somewhat flexible, but it's on the low end of semiflex. Easy to swap out though, since it's roughly the same size as a modern #5 or a vintage Waterman (and others) #2. I got the ones from Pure Pens, I plan on having Pablo Carrasco of fpnibs.com do a flex mod on a 14k Jowo #5 for me. For the others.... I'm thinking I'll get a semiflex BBCI on one, and maybe an old Balance or Duofold (super manifold nails) nib, ground to a needlepoint and tuned to be dry on the third.

#35 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:39

I have a waterman #2 extra fine wet noodle literally sitting on standby for this pen.

#36 fountainpen51

fountainpen51

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:16

The new Noodler's safety pen seems to be available now - at least, it's available from Pure Pens in the UK, so I assume it is also available now from US retailers for Noodler's

I have entered the web, but I do not see them yet in Pure Pens

#37 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:12

I have a waterman #2 extra fine wet noodle literally sitting on standby for this pen.

Same one you had on the Lecai?

I have entered the web, but I do not see them yet in Pure Pens

Pure Pens is sold out - Pen Chalet will have them either this week or Monday of next week. Not sure if Pure Pens will ever have more, you should contact them.

#38 fountainpen51

fountainpen51

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 13:51

Same one you had on the Lecai?

Pure Pens is sold out - Pen Chalet will have them either this week or Monday of next week. Not sure if Pure Pens will ever have more, you should contact them.

Amazing, they have not lasted anything. Do you know what price it will be on?

#39 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 13:59

Amazing, they have not lasted anything. Do you know what price it will be on?

I didn't ask Pen Chalet, but my guess would be $55. That's what Nathan (founder/sole proprietor of Noodler's) said in his two videos about it. Pen Chalet also offers free shipping above $50, so that'll be the total cost. 

Pure Pens was selling 'em for 50 pounds, which is about $70. For people in the US, we aren't eligible for the VAT sales tax, so 20% is deducted. I payed about $53 each for them, plus shipping (11.95 GBP, or $16 USD). Also got some paper from them too, so it was a decent deal for me

#40 fountainpen51

fountainpen51

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2017 - 14:13

I'm going to have to ask from Europe to the US if I can get one, because when seen, they fly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers

Sponsored Content

|