New Noodler's Pen

Uncial

I saw a video....a long video as is Nathan's want....about a new ink but in it there was mention of a new safety pen from Noodler's and there were also quite a few nice looking ebonite dip pens on display. The video was so long and rambling I must confess I didn't sit through it all so may have missed vital details. I headed off to Noodler's own website but there was no info about it there and nothing on any other pen store sites. Anyone have any more info?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• EMQG

• Honeybadgers

• fountainpen51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They do not have an exact release date on it. In the video he said there should be some out for the holidays. So I am guessing it will be the middle of October or so. I think this will be an excellent pen, if you need that type. Always take the cap off with the pen up, or it would be a bad mess. That is the only thing I see about the pen I don't love. Everything else was very cool.

At the recent Commonwealth pen Show Nathan's assistant was detailing a safety pen that she had in her hands...no mention that it was a new product ...

I talked to Nathan at the Commonwealth show. He didn't have a release date on the safety pens yet because he had been having some, uh, "discussions" with the people who do the manufacturing, about how the pens really needed to be completely made of ebonite because of the ink they were designed to use (the new dip pen/safety pen *only* inks at the Noodler's table); while he didn't say specifically, it sounded as if the inks might have something like gum arabic in them, so they *can't* be used in standard fountain pens. So the safety pens are not out yet, but he told me that the price (when they *are* released) will be $55 US.

I looked at the dip pen holders, and decided that I don't do enough of that sort of calligraphy to warrant getting one -- although a couple of the colors were quite tempting.... As for the safety pens, I'll wait till they come out and then maybe check out a few reviews before getting one, but they do have me interested.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

OH, darn, so he did have some special inks?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

OH, darn, so he did have some special inks?

Yup. He had four inks that were not recommended for standard fountain pens. When I bought PaganArcher a Noodlers dip pen, included the tea colored ink as I thought it was the most unique. Perhaps he'll post a review.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I hope he does. Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I sat through both videos - the new safety pen will be designed for all fountain pen inks, but also india inks and the four new colors he is releasing - they aren't india ink, but they do have bonding agents in them that make them incompatible with fountain pens.

The new pen also has a steel rod in the cap that forces the feed down so you con't accidentally cap the pen on the nib and ruin the nib. I'm kinda iffy on this since it means we can't use iron galls, but honestly, the design is still spectacular.

The nib it uses will be the #5/#2 nib creaper flex nib. I have a waterman #2 needlepoint wet noodle just waiting to go into it.

It's a safety pen, so the nib/feed retract into the body and are bathed in the ink, and the cap seals intensely tightly, so there won't be any issues with the ink drying out in the pen and gumming up the nib/feed. The only part you need to be careful with is that you uncap the pen vertically (nib up) so the ink doesn't pour out.

Nathan said that depending on the vendor interest, he would release the bonding inks as a full run if they wanted it. I told Goulet that I badly wanted them to carry it.

The price will be $55. I'm crazy excited.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Is it just a steel rod or a stainless steel rod? If it is stainless steel, you could use an iron gall like KWZ or Platinum's Classic line.

Is it just a steel rod or a stainless steel rod? If it is stainless steel, you could use an iron gall like KWZ or Platinum's Classic line.

I don't rememer Nathan actually specifying that it was even steel in his video - I think he just said it was a rod.

I don't know why he wouldn't have made that rod out of ebonite though.

I might wind up having a rod made of ebonite for this.

I don't rememer Nathan actually specifying that it was even steel in his video - I think he just said it was a rod.

I don't know why he wouldn't have made that rod out of ebonite though.

I might wind up having a rod made of ebonite for this.

i am not 100% certain, I just seem to remember seeing a shiny rod in the cap in the videos.

Rewatched and I'm pretty sure that rod looks metal. But that is also a final prototype, so maybe that's changing.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

According to Goulet's blog, Nathan offered these pens at the Boston Commonwealth show, but they're not if/when they'll be oddly available. Apparently he's had issues figuring out how to mass produce the pen. Fingers crossed! I'm so intrigued!

There are many many types of stainless steel. Stainless Steel nibs are made of 316L, which is the most corrosion resistant variety. If the rod is 316 or 316L you will be fine (it's a steel nib pen - so its the same material). Other SS alloys could be a problem. 316L is the low carbon version - required for nibs because the tipping material is welded on.

Most pens with Stainless bodies probably use 304 for the body which has several percent less nickel (nickel is much more expensive than iron) and isn't as corrosion resistant as 316, which is why you can't eyedropper them. Some converters have ball bearing or spring agitators. I've purchased 316 SS bearings for just that purpose.

I'm certain he wouldn't use carbon steel. I'd hope its 316 stainless, since it's bathed in ink, just like the nib. This sounds like a good question for Nathen.

There are many many types of stainless steel. Stainless Steel nibs are made of 316L, which is the most corrosion resistant variety. If the rod is 316 or 316L you will be fine (it's a steel nib pen - so its the same material). Other SS alloys could be a problem. 316L is the low carbon version - required for nibs because the tipping material is welded on.

Most pens with Stainless bodies probably use 304 for the body which has several percent less nickel (nickel is much more expensive than iron) and isn't as corrosion resistant as 316, which is why you can't eyedropper them. Some converters have ball bearing or spring agitators. I've purchased 316 SS bearings for just that purpose.

I'm certain he wouldn't use carbon steel. I'd hope its 316 stainless, since it's bathed in ink, just like the nib. This sounds like a good question for Nathen.

True, if it's made of 316 it won't be a huge problem - but it'd still be better if it were ebonite or gold. I'm going to email Noodler's and ask what kind of steel it's made of, and ask if it could be pulled out and replaced after applying heat. Knowing Nathan, I doubt he'd put anything in his pens that can't be removed. Rumor has it that with a small enough screwdriver, you can actually unscrew the tipping from his nibs!

sarcasm

I heard back from Luxury Brands USA (Noodler's US distributor) and they don't know what the rod is made of, nor how it's attached. If anyone has a way to contact Nathan himself...?

According to Goulet's blog, Nathan offered these pens at the Boston Commonwealth show, but they're not if/when they'll be oddly available. Apparently he's had issues figuring out how to mass produce the pen. Fingers crossed! I'm so intrigued!

He did not. The shipper was unable to get the pens to him on time for the show, so he only had the one prototype in his shirt pocket, none available for sale. He did have the aforementioned inks at the show.

• 2 weeks later...