Sheaffer Imperial Model As9 C. 1958-1960

PenHero

Hi, Folks,

This is the first Sheaffer pen to use the Imperial name, the somewhat obscure Sheaffer Imperial Model AS9 c. 1958-1960. The pen is similar in size to the Sheaffer Thin Model Touchdown Pens made from 1950 to 1951 but uses a later short Triumph or sheath nib that appears first in 1958 on Skripsert and Lady Sheaffer cartridge pens. AS9 translates to A=pen, S=Touchdown, long, and 9=9.2 karat gold Short Sheath Nib. The gold cap model was offered in advertising as early as 1958 and both are gone before 1961 when the PFM style Imperials were introduced. They were offered in Black, Burgundy, Blue and Sage Green. These 5 5/16 inch long pens sold for $6.00 and had a matching pencil.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferImperialAS9_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!
Edited by PenHero
Corrections

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• joss

• RICARDOBORBA

• devavictrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks,

This is the Sheaffer Gold Imperial Model AS9G in Burgundy c. 1958-1960. The pen is similar to the Imperial AS9 except that it has a slip cap instead of a screw cap and the cap is gold filled. It has the same Touchdown filling system and short Triumph or sheath nib, this one being a palladium silver unit. AS9G translates to A=pen, S=Touchdown, long, 9=9.2 karat gold Short Sheath Nib, and G=Gold. Technically it should be an AS8G with the palladium silver nib, but the Sheaffer Repair Guide only has one version. All three types of short sheath nibs can be found on AS9 and AS9G pens, plain gold, two tone gold and palladium silver. They were offered in Black, Pastel Blue, Sage Green and Burgundy. These 5 5/16 inch long pens sold for $12.00 and had a matching pencil. Shown in a 1958 advertisement.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferImperialAS9G_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!
Edited by PenHero
Corrections

Thank you for sharing this unique Sheaffer that is new to me. I guess this means that Sheaffer briefly reverted to a new TM touchdown variant after the end of snorkel production.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is the AS9 in difficult to find Sage Green.

This is the first Sheaffer pen to use the Imperial name, the somewhat obscure Sheaffer Imperial Model AS9 c. 1958-1960. The pen is similar in size to the Sheaffer Thin Model™ Touchdown Pens made from 1950 to 1951 but uses a later short Triumph or sheath nib that appears first in 1958 on Skripsert and Lady Sheaffer cartridge pens. AS9 translates to A=pen, S=Touchdown, long, and 9=9.2 karat gold Short Sheath Nib. The gold cap model was offered in advertising as early as 1958 and both are gone before 1961 when the PFM style Imperials were introduced. They were offered in Black, Burgundy, Blue and Sage Green. These 5 5/16 inch long pens sold for $6.00 and had a matching pencil.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferImperialAS9Green_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!
Edited by PenHero
Corrections

• 3 months later...

Is anything known about the difference is cap fittings? Some screw and some slide. Was one fitting earlier than the other or just an option at point of sale?

I have the AS9G in sage green and two-tone point. After reading through the 1959 (or is it 1962) service manual does it mean a sage green one with a gold lid is an A20S?Y. The question mark because mine has a two-tone point - not 8 or 9. The service manual says it should be A for pen, then the colour (20 in my case), then the model (S for touchdown), then the point (8 for palladium and 9 for gold) and finally the trim (mine has a gold lid so Y. No G is listed). Is it that 'AS9' omits the colour and trim and defaults to a gold point leaving the palladium point, trim and colour to be decided at purchase? I'd love to read through section B of the manual. I don't have it!

Thank you for all the images and information about this seemingly scarce pen. Has any Sheaffer sales figures ever circulated or been available?

Edited by devavictrix

Is anything known about the difference is cap fittings? Some screw and some slide. Was one fitting earlier than the other or just an option at point of sale?

I have the AS9G in sage green and two-tone point. After reading through the 1959 (or is it 1962) service manual does it mean a sage green one with a gold lid is an A20S?Y. The question mark because mine has a two-tone point - not 8 or 9. The service manual says it should be A for pen, then the colour (20 in my case), then the model (S for touchdown), then the point (8 for palladium and 9 for gold) and finally the trim (mine has a gold lid so Y. No G is listed). Is it that 'AS9' omits the colour and trim and defaults to a gold point leaving the palladium point, trim and colour to be decided at purchase? I'd love to read through section B of the manual. I don't have it!

Thank you for all the images and information about this seemingly scarce pen. Has any Sheaffer sales figures ever circulated or been available?

Hi!

AS9 translates to A=pen, S=Touchdown, long, and 9=9.2 karat gold Short Sheath Nib. The G means gold cap. The color numbers are not part of the model code. AS9 pens will all have screw on caps. AS9G pens have pull off caps like Skripsert pens. Have no idea on sales figures, but they were not cataloged very long and are not common.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your reply.

I think I have two of these but the point on one is different. It is identical to the green one on the this thread only it's burgundy and has a two tone point. The difference with mine is that it only says "Sheaffer", not "Sheaffer's". The "R" and bars are missing too. Could it be an AS9 with a different point or a different pen altogether? I read the "s" was dropped in c1966.

Edited by devavictrix

Well after I discovered my grenn AS9 is somewhat rare I went searching and found my burgundy one within 30mins. I've been searching ever since and not found another, but its only a couple of weeks.

One thing though... neither of the pens I have that I believe to be AS9s have the made in USA, Australia or Canada inscription on the barrel. I assume they are still AS9s but maybe another variation. Both m of mine were bought in the UK.

Edited by devavictrix

• 2 months later...

Finally and I have this First Imperial AS9 (in Burgundy) in my collection. Made in Australia
Jim! Thanks a lot for the interesting and useful information about this Imperial, it made me start to looking for )))

post-138052-0-01778400-1525082997_thumb.jpg

post-138052-0-43946300-1525083011_thumb.jpg

My best regards
Oleg (Loki.OS)

Congratulations! Very interesting and uncommon pen. Looks like you have a mint example.

This thread suggests nibs on these might be two-tone, all gold, or PdAg.

Congratulations! Very interesting and uncommon pen. Looks like you have a mint example.

Thank you, Robert!

Yes, this pen is in almost mint condition. Only small traces of time. And fully working. It was very successful to find this pen )))

My best regards
Oleg (Loki.OS)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I struggle finding the model name of a Sheaffer Touchdown "Skripsert-like" pen. It could possibly be a family member of the Sheaffer Imperial with pull-off cap (AS9G) that is shown above.

If so, that would make it a Sheaffer Imperial "Lady", if such thing exists.

Any thoughts? This is the pen:

fpn_1566570554__lsstchd.jpg

I started a thread on this pen a while ago, without much respons (www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348799-sheaffer-lady-skripsert-touchdown)

I struggle finding the model name of a Sheaffer Touchdown "Skripsert-like" pen. It could possibly be a family member of the Sheaffer Imperial with pull-off cap (AS9G) that is shown above.

If so, that would make it a Sheaffer Imperial "Lady", if such thing exists.

Any thoughts? This is the pen:

fpn_1566570554__lsstchd.jpg

I started a thread on this pen a while ago, without much respons (www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348799-sheaffer-lady-skripsert-touchdown)

I don't see that pen in the 1963 Service Manual. Maybe it's later. I'll ask around. Nice find!

Great thread and beautiful pens! I picked up this one recently and it appears to be an AS8(?) based the palladium nib and slip cap. I didnt know what it was until I saw similar pens on the penhero website. This pen has a chrome cap so it must have been a more economical model. The photos are a little dark but the color is the same pastel blue as my snorkel.

post-87172-0-21098700-1568249922_thumb.jpeg

post-87172-0-94132000-1568249940_thumb.jpeg

Great thread and beautiful pens! I picked up this one recently and it appears to be an AS8(?) based the palladium nib and slip cap. I didnt know what it was until I saw similar pens on the penhero website. This pen has a chrome cap so it must have been a more economical model. The photos are a little dark but the color is the same pastel blue as my snorkel.

Wow! Now that's two I've never seen before! :)