Water Pen Purple - Olde Tyme Ink

AAAndrew

So, I originally posted this over in Pen History because I was trying to figure out a traveling dip nib holder I found this weekend. It's called a McClure's Water Pen.

I wondered why "Water Pen" and then as I was exploring with magnification what seemed like a reservoir on the underside of the nib that came with the pen, I noticed something that looked at first like an ebonite rod right under the S. Roeder Berlin, Helios Tintenfeder, No. 400 nib.

fpn_1505740779__mcclureswaterpenopen.jpg

Then the penny dropped. I dipped it in water, swished it around and after a little coaxing, it began to write! Yup, it's a small rod of solid purple ink fixed under the dip nib. Instead of carrying around an ink pot, all you'd need is a little water. Water Pen! And once you're finished, just pull the section out, reverse it and tuck the nib back into the body to carry it around.

It took a little bit to get it started, but it is probably 100-year-old solid ink. But once it's going it worked quite well. And since it was inky-related I thought I'd share it over here, too. I'm trying to find out more information on the maker, pen, date, etc... Regardless, it's was a fun little discovery.

fpn_1505747504__mcclureswaterpen2.jpg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sasha Royale

• inkstainedruth

• martinbir

• Flaxmoore

Top Posters In This Topic

Way cool! Thank you for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Very cool indeed. And that color purple is pretty awesome (looks a lot like Noodler's North African Violet).

Thanks for posting the pix.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That is fascinating. Since it is such an oddity, the idea cannot have caught on. Yet it seems so clever and apparently works. Maybe ink in ink wells was so ubiquitous that finding clean water for dipping was less easy than finding ink - perhaps a solution to a problem which did not exist. But a very ingenious solution all the same; one feels someone should have invented the problem anyway.

That is fascinating. Since it is such an oddity, the idea cannot have caught on. Yet it seems so clever and apparently works. Maybe ink in ink wells was so ubiquitous that finding clean water for dipping was less easy than finding ink - perhaps a solution to a problem which did not exist. But a very ingenious solution all the same; one feels someone should have invented the problem anyway.

Drinkable water shouldn't be a question. This wouldn't require anything that clean. Just water out of a puddle should have been sufficient. I know that's what they used in World War one with the trench pens, as unpopular as those were.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

WONDERFUL ! It's like water color paint. I would never have guessed. Now, we have to devise a way to replenish the pigment supply because you simply HAVE to use this pen often.

:eureka:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !