Is There Any Downside With Using Bleech To Clean The Feed?

calvin_0

KWZ Iron Gall ink will deposit a layer of I'm guessing Iron oxide to the section, feed and nib.. section and nib can be easily clean with a q-tip.. the feed however, kinda stuck to it, even brushing with a toothbrush it wont come out..

normally this wont be a problem, however the feed that i'm trying to clean is a clear feed... so i though i have ruined the feed... however a random idea pop into my head and i decide to soak it in a bleech solution.. and after a day, most of the black layer has dissolved into the solution, and after 2 days, the feed is completely clean.. no brushing needed.. however, the feed stink of bleech for a while...

the only problem is, will using the bleech to clean the feed causes any problem?

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beechwood

• pajaro

• praxim

• calvin_0

Clorine bleach can be tough on plastics. If your feed survives, and if it remains clear, you will be good, probably. I think you might have asked for help and ideas first. Some of the people here are quite good at that kind of thing, knowing the best products to use for a good result. Best of luck, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If you are trying to remove iron oxides or rust try oxalic acid.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If you are trying to remove iron oxides or rust try oxalic acid.

do you know any branded product that contain it? also does it works well with plastic?

Clorine bleach can be tough on plastics. If your feed survives, and if it remains clear, you will be good, probably. I think you might have asked for help and ideas first. Some of the people here are quite good at that kind of thing, knowing the best products to use for a good result. Best of luck, though.

so i got lucky, well the feed does survive and remain clear.. no problem with flow as well... but again, i diluted it with 1/4 cup of water.. maybe if i dilute it with one cup, it'll be safer..

oh well, i need to find an alternative..

Edited by calvin_0

do you know any branded product that contain it? also does it works well with plastic?

Bar Keeper's Friend has oxalic acid as its main active ingredient. It also contains feldspar as an extender rather than more abrasive materials. I use the product on steel and glass but have never tried it on a pen.

X

So for us non chemists, is oxalic acid what beer tenders clean their pipes with ? Here in Scotland "Bar Keepers Friend" means about as much to me as oxalic acid does. You say kerosene,we say paraffin !

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Bar Keeper's Friend has oxalic acid as its main active ingredient. It also contains feldspar as an extender rather than more abrasive materials. I use the product on steel and glass but have never tried it on a pen.

I have used it on plastics and found it too abrasive, works well on sinks and worktops but wouldnt use it on anything more delicate.

Yes, sounds right. I had a look at what it advertises it cleans. For original BKF I'll stick to steel and glass with no experiments on softer materials. However, they also advertise a foam cleaner without abrasives at all (they say), and I also found oxalic acid in a concentrate marketed as a wood cleaner (preparing timber decks). Is there a preferred source or formulation?

X

Eau de Javel (sodium hypochlorite) - very efficient, but aggressive. Be careful !

Edited by MarcinEck

Don't use bleach on pens!

If it can be hard on plastics, it's even more so on metals. Bleach will destroy alloy gold nibs, even in very dilute solution.

Before trying oxalic acid, you might want to try soaking in vinegar.

Thanks for that info.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 years later...

I use a couple KWZ iron gall inks and have been very happy with them. I normally use a vinegar flush (1tsp. vinegar to 1 cup of water) to clean those pens. 

I also use powdered ascorbic acid (vitamin C). 1 gram to 100ml water for a 20 minute soak which works very well.

fpn_1543178351__apc_logo_bw_square-02__7