Music Nibs

shoutout33

Hello FPN! Just curious as to who makes music nibs in the industry right now. I'm new to the whole pen thing, but I'm enjoying myself tons! I understand that there are two manufactures that make nibs for most of the pen world: Bock and Jowo. I know that Jowo makes a special 1.9mm music nib for Franklin-Cristoph, but from there, it seems that all other music nibs are made in Japan and you can't get them unless you buy the pen. If I'm way off with this, please let me know. I do plan to get the Franklin-Christoph, but I wrote with a Taccia (the SE one made with some deer horn or whatever...) and it had a music nib on it. Did more research and found that they use Sailor and other nibs for their pens, so I'm assuming the music nib I tried was a Sailor. I tried the Taccia Savanna (not sure if it was the SE or not...) with a music nib FYI. If this has already been talked about, please send me a link. Thanks.

Daris '2017

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• shoutout33

• EMQG

• Karmachanic

Several companies still make music nibs but I don't know of any that sell just the nib; you can though request a music nib as a special order exchange on a pen.

My Website

The Noodler's Neponset has a stainless steel three-tined music nib. The cost of the entire pen is less than any currently made gold music nib. The pen is a bit controversial but there are plenty of posts about it.

As far as I know (I have not used it) the Sailor music nib is basically a stub and quite firm. The Neponset nib is flexible by design but not very stubby when not flexed. I don't know anything about the other Japanese music nibs, or about vintage options, but they exist.

Do a search for "Music Nibs" on FPN. You will find some comparative reviews that might be of interest.

FWIW, the F-C is really a 1.9 mm Stub/Italic nib. It is an absolute pleasure to use for calligraphy. It has wonderful line variation and yet is very smooth to write with. The Japanese music nibs are, as a group, wetter, less broad and much less crisp.

As usual, what's "best" depends on the intended use and your personal taste.

David

The Noodler's Neponset has a stainless steel three-tined music nib. The cost of the entire pen is less than any currently made gold music nib. The pen is a bit controversial but there are plenty of posts about it.

As far as I know (I have not used it) the Sailor music nib is basically a stub and quite firm. The Neponset nib is flexible by design but not very stubby when not flexed. I don't know anything about the other Japanese music nibs, or about vintage options, but they exist.

Fyi, if you email Noodler's they'll sell you a Neponset nib for $25+shipping (last I checked, at least)

Pilot custom heritage 74 has a super soft 14k 3 tine music nib that borders on vintage semiflex, can be had for $80. It is not tuned for normal writing, it's perfect when held perpendicular, but required smoothing for a normal angle. I adored mine, but didn't use it much, so my mother is using it for now. But it goes from about 1.1 to 1.5 with very modest pressure and doesn't railroad much at all.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I've got both the Custom Heritage 74 Music nib, and the Sailor 1911 Music. I've not had any issues with writing angle, but I tend to hold pens at pretty much 45 degrees from the perpendicular. Both are nice pens - the Sailor is only two tine, but it seems to have as good an ink flow as the Pilot - neither cause me problems. The main difference is the Sailor is firmer, with next to know width variation under pressure, but the Pilot does give a little extra width with modest pressure. I can't say I have a favourite between them.

• 1 year later...

I have some problems with the pilot 74 music nib. It is not smooth at all. When I look through a lupe I find that the tines may be out of alignment. I’ve had the pen for quite a while but was an able to use it due to a car accident. As a result I cannot return the pen. I find The middle tine seems to be the most problematic. Does anyone know how to adjust the tines on a 3 tine nib? Or if I am afraid to do it myself, can someone recommend a person to adjust and smooth the nib. I live four and a half hours from any store and as a result need to send the pen away. Thanks

Fyi, Noodler's will sell you a music nib from the Neponset if you email them and ask.

Do you know if the Neponset music nibs fit on smaller pens, like the Konrads (i.e., are they #6 nibs?). And if you have to get a special or separate feed for them? I looked into Neponsets when they first came out, but they were too big and unwieldy -- Konrads, OTOH, are a good size for me, even the slightly longer ebonite ones.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Do you know if the Neponset music nibs fit on smaller pens, like the Konrads (i.e., are they #6 nibs?). And if you have to get a special or separate feed for them? I looked into Neponsets when they first came out, but they were too big and unwieldy -- Konrads, OTOH, are a good size for me, even the slightly longer ebonite ones.

Bit of Google says the Neponset is a #6, & has a 3 slit feed.

I have some problems with the pilot 74 music nib. It is not smooth at all. When I look through a lupe I find that the tines may be out of alignment. I’ve had the pen for quite a while but was an able to use it due to a car accident. As a result I cannot return the pen. I find The middle tine seems to be the most problematic. Does anyone know how to adjust the tines on a 3 tine nib? Or if I am afraid to do it myself, can someone recommend a person to adjust and smooth the nib. I live four and a half hours from any store and as a result need to send the pen away. Thanks

Bjeweledinmaine,

I think Mike Masuyama had done some work on Pilot Music nibs (read it on another thread somewhere, I'll try to find it), but the owner had Mike regrind it into a cursive Italic. You might want to drop Mike an email, he is very responsive and I don't think he has an issue doing any other grinds that you might be partial to.

Good luck, I hope you have fully recovered from your car accident.

Bit of Google says the Neponset is a #6, & has a 3 slit feed.

Thanks! I may look into getting a music nib/feed for one of my Konrads. The regular nib got slightly mangled when I was disassembling the pen a while back, so I was thinking to replace it. But reading this thread, I'm now thinking that a music nib might be a fun replacement.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #3776 can be had with a very nice 3-tine music nib. Unfortunately you would need to buy it from Japan, probably.

Wiesiek

Platinum #3776 can be had with a very nice 3-tine music nib. Unfortunately you would need to buy it from Japan, probably.

Wiesiek

Unfortunately?

Add lightness and simplicate.