Anyone From Around Perth, Western Australia?

AmandaW

It was kind of quiet and I spent the time drinking coffee and practicing my cursive. Eventually I thought of going home at 12:30 but decided to stay for one more coffee. Lucky I did because thx1138 (Jeff) turned up with a box of pens and inks. We compared pens and drank more coffee through to 14:30. Thx1138 favours bold and wider nibs and I tested a Lamy 2000, some Waterman Carenes, some Platinum 3776s and assorted Parkers.

Jeff, the Dollar 717i came from Skribr https://skribr.com/.

I'm thinking around the 18th of August for the next meet. I'm open to suggestions for time, date, and venue.

... retrocorrected Jeff's name.

Edited by Steveg58

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steveg58

• Lord-Spikey

• thx1138

• AnthonyFP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very enjoyable afternoon testing some very different pens to what I have.

Steve's pens are the first time I have ever used a fine or xf pen which I consider to be super smooth. My early experience with fine and xf pens has been of a dry and scratchy nature, probably why I like the broad side of fountain pens.

I will have to dig out the fine pens in my collection and see if I can find a super smooth fine.

The Maki-e pens are works of art. Thanks for bringing them along.

Jeff

Forgot to.mention that seeing and holding the blue black Pelikan 205 has fueled strong urge to own one.

Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, for not making it to the meeting.

Unfortunately, fixing a leaky roof while it was not raining took priority; just.

18th August should be a good day for the next meeting. I hope thx1138 can make it to that meeting, as I would love to see and handle a Waterman Carene. It was the very first pen I had a mind to buy.

I was talked out of it, but would like to discover the truth about them for myself.

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.... but I'd rather take my Katana into battle

I believe real life takes precedence in these matters. ;)

@thx1138 you should have a look at Lord-Spikey's higher grade Pelikans.

I was so impressed by the Carene's that I went looking to see what was available out there. Most of the current ones are boring by comparison with thx1138's specimens.

As mentioned, I was very keen to buy a Carene. I had decided to purchase one before visiting the pen shop in Perth (you know the one). They actually suggested to me that early year Watermans were much higher quality than recent year Watermans.

I must admit to being a little unsure of the Carene nib arrangement, as I really like the big one my Pelikan, Visconti and DuPont.

At that visit, I ended up buying a Lamy SS 2000, which also has a half hidden nib, so I wonder if I bought a pen, or I was sold a pen.

I still like the look of the Carene and would love to try one out.

Incidentally, my online research has suggested that I may be better buying over the interweb, as it appears that I could have purchased my Pelikan M800 for about 60% of the price I paid in the shop. Admittedly, I would not have been able to try out the actual pen prior to purchase and warranty issues may have been just that, but to save a fair few hundred dollars may have been worthwhile.

I think trying before you buy is a good idea. I tried a couple of Sailors, but they just felt to light and flighty. If I had bought them online, I may have been disappointed.

So, I guess one solution is the try in the shop, but buy online.

Thoughts, anyone????

Edited by Lord-Spikey

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.... but I'd rather take my Katana into battle

@Lord-Spikey: Both thx1138 and AmandaW buy on the internet. Personally I like to have some idea about what I'm buying unless the cost is low enough but the pens-deluxe group do not stint on the mark-ups.

@AmandaW: I'd like to make something like your pen cozy. Would it be possible to get a rough sketch-up of the fabric dimensions please? I'm a reasonably competent machine sewer so you don't need to go into great detail.

Edited by Steveg58

It has been a week and no special requests for the meeting have been raised so we will go with this:

Saturday 18th August, 11 am to 1 pm at Red Poppy's Cafe in Old Perth Road, Bassendean about 50 m from the train station.

Finish time is flexible ... all it means is I will stay around until then just in case anyone turns up.

I met a gent in T.Sharp & Co yesterday who was looking for a specific Waterman converter that they didn't have in stock and we had a chat about fountain pens as we walked back down the mall. With luck he may turn up. I've also been inviting a couple of other people who I know have small FP collections. If they turn up we may be able to interest them in FPN. The more the merrier I think.

I will put this date in my diary (and no it is an iPhone not a proper diary) and hope to make it. Thank you Steve for your perseverance in organising these meetings.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have a CEP training day on the 18th. I am really disappointed to not be able to go.

@thx1138, no problem, Lord Spikey might miss having a try of your pens. My Carene drags just a tiny bit whereas yours just glide.

@AnthonyFP, It isn't a lost afternoon so it is all good.

AmandaW is probably laid up, IIRC she said her asthma plays up in cold weather so we might not see her until it warms up.

Pelikan hubs are on the 21st September but we could probably slip in a meeting on the 15th.

One of the newer guys at work has just purchased his first FP, a Clear Lamy Safari, so I suggested he come along on the 18th.

I have a pen just finished its ink so I'm going to show him how to flush a pen tomorrow.

Edited by Steveg58

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to it.

I'm just so disappointed that I wont have any more pens to show.

I am waiting on the delivery of two pens: one Jinhao cheapie and a Sailor Four Seasons.

I might get the Jnhao, but that is nowhere near as potentially impressive as the Sailor.

I arrived just after 11 and Trevor (Lord Spikey) was already seated. We chatted for a few minutes and AnthonyFP showed up. So we sat around trying fountain pens and drinking coffee through till 1pm. I had already seen many of Trevor's pens but the very smooth ST Dupont pen was new as was the Wancher Pen holder. Anthony had a very nice Edison in Wine Peralized Acrylic which was so impressive.

FPNibs is a good place to see the range of Jowo nibs. Not all of the are available in Australia.

Next gathering is possibly 15th September. As before I will leave it a week to see if I get any alternative suggestions.

Edited by Steveg58

Nice to meet Trevor and Steve and yes the DuPont is a beautiful smooth writer. But the star of the show has to be Steve's Ranga Monster with the stub nib (1.5? Was it?). A huge pen and the nib gave amazing differential widths. A very informative time for me as a relative newcomer to the more intricacies and mysteries of pens.

'twas a good meeting, with Steve's (Steveg58) plethora of interesting pens; some inked; some not. Some with fine nibs and some with stub nibs, including the Ranga Majestic that AnthonyFP mentioned. Although he forgot to mention that the stub width was in inches and not millimeters, lol. It was huge and my first opportunity to write with a stub. I am hooked and will order my next pen with a 1.1mm (or there abouts) stub nib. Thanks Steve.

Anthony's pens were real jewels including his Onoto and Edison, as described by Steve.

We meet in a great little café in Bassendean. Nothing pretentious, but great coffee served by a friendly gentleman.

It is a fairly quiet place, where we seem to be no imposition and are welcome to stay as long as we want.

If there is anyone else who is interested in coming along, even if your pen collection is just starting, or you have none but would like to take a look at a large selection of infinitely variably priced writing instruments (I hear that somebody has a rather nice Montblanc Charles Dickens to bring along next time), then please feel free to show up at the next meeting.

You could even have a play with Steve's 5mm nibbed pen. Yes, that's right; 5mm.

Thanks guys for a great meeting.

With a large pen like the Ranga Majestic you need to be able to write large and it would be silly for it to have a fine nib.

I have a Ranga Bamboo coming which will have a broad nib IIRC.

The 4.8mm Pilot Parallel is on my disposal list probably to an artist or calligrapher.

I should have the Pelikan M205 inked up next month ... are there any other requests?

• 3 weeks later...

Next meetup:

Saturday 15th September, 11 am to 1 pm at Red Poppy's Cafe in Old Perth Road, Bassendean about 50 m from the train station.

Finish time is flexible ... all it means is I will stay around until then just in case anyone turns up.

Red Poppy's was closed this weekend - perils of a one man operation.

If for any reason he is closed on a meeting day I'll be across the road at the Old Perth Railway Deli & Lunch Bar.