Anyone From Around Perth, Western Australia?

AmandaW

Inspired by the Adelaide thread that popped up! It makes me wonder about fountain pen people close to Perth.

Are there any pen meets here? If not, are there enough other locals to start something?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steveg58

• Lord-Spikey

• thx1138

• AnthonyFP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen at least a couple of other Perth sign ups ... is anyone interested in meeting up for a coffee and a chat?

I'm gaily central in Tuart Hill so I can go in any direction.

Cool THX1138, Can you recommend a cafe that won't be too crowded for conversation in Bayswater? Failing that we go to the Red Poppy in Bassendean fairly regularly. Perhaps the 26th or 27th?

If we can put up a date and a location perhaps some of the others will come along.

Cheers,

Steveg

As there hasn't been a response I'm going to nominate a place and time.

Saturday 26th May at Red Poppy's Cafe in Old Perth Road, Bassendean about 50m from the train station.

I'll be there from 12pm to 2pm. Look for the balding bearded man drinking coffee and trying to re-learn his longhand script.

Come along if you like, or feel free to nominate a more convenient place and time for the next meet-up.

I'll PM people who have introduced themselves as being Perth residents to see if we can get a few people.

Steve

Cool. Will do my best to participate. Thanks for the message, I've been offline for a bit so would have missed it.

Hi...just read this thread....I would love to come but that weekend is no good for as I am attending a 2-day wedding!!!!...a work colleague from Sri Lanka. Would be interested in further meets though.

This sounds good to me. I'm in (failing the end of the world, of course)

I would be available between 12 and 1PM only, so I would arrive at 12 (Mrs finishes work at 12:30 and is home before 1)

Thanks

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.... but I'd rather take my Katana into battle

Lord Spikey, AmandaW and myself met and had beverages, snacks and conversation. Next meet-up will be a Saturday in early July, 10am to 12pm this time. We made a brief tutuguan: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZnoeClo9oPXHjGCl2

Thanks for the sneaky bill pick-up Lord Spikey!

Watch this space for the next date ...

Whoops, Red Poppy's isn't open until 11. Will 11-1pm work?

Edited by Steveg58

Yes, thankyou from me too. It was lots of fun, especially getting to see and try pens that I had only read about - including, but not limited to - a Pelikan M800 (I now understand why they're so highly thought of), a Visconti (with an amazing nib), a Lamy 2K and a very interesting, very heavy, Blackstone pen made from recycled brass.

Thank you Lady and Gentlemen for a great meet up.

It was so good to meet others who appreciate the benefits and beauty of fountain pens.

It is also good to know that I am not alone.

AmandaW's ever-growing set of rainbow TWSBIs are great and That Blackstone was absolutely something else. I must have one. Are the nibs interchangeable, I wonder? (I do love my gold and two tone nibs).

Thanks again guys and you are welcome.

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.... but I'd rather take my Katana into battle

The Blackstone pens are available here: https://justwrite.com.au/Blackstone%20Pens/Fountain-Pens-Blackstone

They use a standard #5 JoWo nib assembly. Kevin usually has a stock but they are a bit depleted at the moment. See here: https://justwrite.com.au/Blackstone%20Pens/Nibs-and-Nib-Assemblies and yes there are gold plated and two tone nibs. I'm sure I've also seen gold JoWo nibs elsewhere but you would have to check if they are #5 or #6. The brass section has an internal thread near the body end that the nib assembly screws into.

As there have not been any screams of horror at the possibility of an 11am start I'm going to peg the next meeting at -

Saturday 7th July, 11 am to 1 pm at Red Poppy's Cafe in Old Perth Road, Bassendean about 50 m from the train station.

The Blackstone pens are available here: https://justwrite.com.au/Blackstone%20Pens/Fountain-Pens-Blackstone

They use a standard #5 JoWo nib assembly. Kevin usually has a stock but they are a bit depleted at the moment. See here: https://justwrite.com.au/Blackstone%20Pens/Nibs-and-Nib-Assemblies and yes there are gold plated and two tone nibs. I'm sure I've also seen gold JoWo nibs elsewhere but you would have to check if they are #5 or #6. The brass section has an internal thread near the body end that the nib assembly screws into.

As there have not been any screams of horror at the possibility of an 11am start I'm going to peg the next meeting at -

Saturday 7th July, 11 am to 1 pm at Red Poppy's Cafe in Old Perth Road, Bassendean about 50 m from the train station.

Hi Steve.

I checked out the Blackstone site and put in my request for notification of when my requested pen will be back in stock.

I've been checking my email every twenty minutes, since, lol.

@Lord Spikey - Hee hee :lol: - Goulet Pens sells Edison #5 assemblies that will fit and there is also fpnibs.com who also sell the JoWo #5 gold nib assemblies.

In other news my Wancher basic Maki-E pen has arrived.

Edited by Steveg58

I have looked at the Blackstone site a couple of years ago, they do have a very interesting range of pens. I hope to be at the next meet in July and see some lovely pens. Just had a look at Steveg58's Maki-E.....love it!! Lucky man.

@Lord Spikey - Hee hee :lol: - Goulet Pens sells Edison #5 assemblies that will fit and there is also fpnibs.com who also sell the JoWo #5 gold nib assemblies.

In other news my Wancher basic Maki-E pen has arrived.

Looks like you bought the last one, Steve.

Site shows as Sold Out

But..... I couldn't help myself. I have just order the Penfolio from the site.

Lucky I'm not superstitious as it hold 13 pens

Oh yes, they sold out within 2 days of being listed, I just got lucky.

I couldn't resist and just ordered a Ushita Maki-e Ume Kachou - Nightingale and Plum from Wancher. Not sure when it will arrive. They have beautiful pens....hope they write as well as they look.

@AnthonyFP that is a really nice looking pen you have chosen. There is a Wancher thread over in the Japan - Asia forum where Uncial suggests it is a nice but not outstanding writer. But hey, it has the looks.

My Ranga Majestic arrived this morning. It is huge! It will be with me next month.

Oh la la, those maki-e are very pretty. The pen I ordered this week is a much more humble plain clear Jinhao 992. It is different to the usual ones because these are available with a choice of calligraphy nibs (from 0.7 to 2.9mm). I'm getting the 0.7.

I like the regular Jinhao 992 because it seemed they never dried out. To test, I left a few of them inked over the summer and, yes, they were all still full and started first time when I looked after three months. Hunch confirmed. A few of them came with especially nicely tuned nibs - writing a medium-fine held normally and extra-fine upside down. They've become my sketch-kit carry pens because at around $3 each I would be disappointed, but not devastated, if I lost one.