The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New Pelikan Special Edition Souverän 605 White-Transparent

new pelikan special edition souveran m605 pelikan 605 white transparent iguana sell

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#41 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:41

I recently bought an M600, with an EF nib. To the unaided eye, it made the same line as my Sailor EF. I was pleased, except I could not see the ink's characteristics. I could hardly tell the ink's color. There was no line variation. Only highly saturated ink made an impression with that nib. I replaced it with a M that Pendleton Brown made into a fine italic. Now the writing is superb, and the ink's character comes boldly through. It may not interest you, but I needed to share the story. This fine italic nib must be enticing to more writers than just me.

Interesting.  I wonder if it was a fluke or if Pelikan have made their EFs more EF. ;)  I would definitely be interested in a western EF, not a Sailor EF.  Continuing my pondering.  I think there are other pens I want more, so I won't likely buy it, but you never know...

Sponsored Content

#42 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 21:57

White and silver is an iPhone color scheme.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#43 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,709 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:08

I wonder if the barrel is transparent enough for inks to show through. That would add a fun dimension to the strips.

#44 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:36

I wonder if the barrel is transparent enough for inks to show through. That would add a fun dimension to the strips.

In the photos, you can see the piston, and in closeups, the clear looks very clear, so I'm thinking you will be able to.  If the white is entirely opaque, that would be a neat effect. :)

#45 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:16

Do you guys think the stripes with be silvery--with a variegated effect--or more white with just a tad of barely discernible silver?

The minimalist in me is suddenly intrigued, and I really love my white tortoise, but I love color, so I personally would prefer them to be grey or silver than just white.... what do you think, based on photos?

Also, another question for those so inclined to hair splitting: is the rest of the pen--the same white as the white tortoise or a more off-white color? I only got a brief look at the m600 pink, which looked like a slightly more silver, off white color than the white tortoise.

Ok, well obviously there are too many unknowns for me, but if anyone has insights, they'd be much appreciated!

Edited by oregano, 16 October 2017 - 02:26.

#46 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:52

The EF is the only Pelikan stock gold nib I'd ever consider, if I get another Pelikan.  Their gold "F" and "M" nibs are laughably fat and blobby.  If Japanese nibs are what you're used to, the only thing I've found that compares to a Pelikan is a Pilot Elite M nib. The line is very wet and very smooth if you like that sort of thing, though.  Pelikan tunes their nibs with a wide slit that goes all the way through the tipping, which makes the pen a gusher.  I can definitely see the appeal for those that like wet, smooth lines, and a buttery-smooth writing experience.  Pelikan certainly provides that.  

Unless you order it from someone who's able to tune the nib to your liking before you get it, like Dan Smith or John Mottishaw, get an EF to be on the safe side.

#47 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:55

The EF is the only Pelikan stock gold nib I'd ever consider, if I get another Pelikan.  Their gold "F" and "M" nibs are laughably fat and blobby.  If Japanese nibs are what you're used to, the only thing I've found that compares to a Pelikan is a Pilot Elite M nib. The line is very wet and very smooth if you like that sort of thing, though.  Pelikan tunes their nibs with a wide slit that goes all the way through the tipping, which makes the pen a gusher.  I can definitely see the appeal for those that like wet, smooth lines, and a buttery-smooth writing experience.  Pelikan certainly provides that.  

Unless you order it from someone who's able to tune the nib to your liking before you get it, like Dan Smith or John Mottishaw, get an EF to be on the safe side.

Thanks, Kevan. :)

#48 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 14:13

Saw a real world photo on Instagram today.  You can see it here; https://www.instagra...ken-by=pourqoir.  Overall, I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't more like the product shots.  That picture makes it look as white as new fallen snow.  I was hoping for the more off-white ivory color that all of the promotional shots depicted.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#49 mrjustice

mrjustice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 14:24

Saw a real world photo on Instagram today.  You can see it here; https://www.instagra...ken-by=pourqoir.  Overall, I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't more like the product shots.  That picture makes it look as white as new fallen snow.  I was hoping for the more off-white ivory color that all of the promotional shots depicted.

Well-that has made up my mind and my wallet is happy ;)

#50 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 15:18

Thanks Joshua! Ah well, the stripes really look straight up white. I was really hoping for a more dappled silver look. I like the white body, but I agree that the off-white in the photos looked better.

#51 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,709 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 17:18

Agreed; way whiter than I expected. I'll wait to see what a few more real-world photos look like before passing final judgement.

I do like the the ink color shows through the stripes. This would change the appearance of the pen a lot depending on the ink. 

#52 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 18:49

Agreed; way whiter than I expected. I'll wait to see what a few more real-world photos look like before passing final judgement.

I do like the the ink color shows through the stripes. This would change the appearance of the pen a lot depending on the ink. 

Fill it with something like KWZ Old Gold... might be a very nice look.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#53 ca49reber

ca49reber

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 20:00

I really like the white white. Which is good since I have pre-ordered this pen. Thanks for the pic.

#54 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 22:02

My first reaction to that picture is, "that's kind of awkward." You do see the ink through the barrel, but it still looks very white and airy. Is that a good thing in a pen?
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#55 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 00:13

My first reaction to that picture is, "that's kind of awkward." You do see the ink through the barrel, but it still looks very white and airy. Is that a good thing in a pen?

That's a personal preference I think.  I really like it because it is unlike anything else in my pen boxes, Pelikan or other brands, makes no difference.  This one is different... can hardly wait till it gets here.

And with that EF nib I ordered in it, I think the 1st thing I write will be a letter to my friend in Minnesota who gave me raspberries the other day  ;)

#56 Tresconik

Tresconik

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:26

It looked very classy when shot by Pelikan, but a little plain in the photos on instagram

#57 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 19:04

OK...that is beautiful. Looks like I may even have to get my first 600 :)

#58 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2017 - 22:53

Now that there is a picture of it "in real life", has anyone gotten a shipped notice yet.

No.  No, I'm not anxious.  Why do you ask?   :rolleyes:

#59 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2017 - 23:17

Hopefully soon. Instagram blew up with photos of it today. Still not sure about it personally but am withholding judgement until I have it in hand.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#60 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:43

Well, I for one am glad my instinct not to get it was right, though I was starting to get swayed by the product photo. I am convinced they missed an opportunity in making a dynamite looking pen with silver grey (like the vintage grey stripe 400), but I can see how purists and collectors would love this pen as being something 'different' and having one of every color, even white.

It is a bit of a concept pen. With ink the stripes look very stark, like prison bars. If you search for #pelikanm605 there are some good photos on instagram now.

Edited by oregano, 19 October 2017 - 01:50.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, pelikan, special edition, souveran, m605, pelikan 605 white transparent, iguana sell

Sponsored Content

|