Ebonite Variations

cunim

I find myself drawn to ebonite pens. Ranges from the sober perfection of the Sailor KOP all-black, to the exuberant ripples of Indian jumbos. They all have appeal.

Here are a couple of Krishna Lyrebirds. The lower pen is polished ebonite. The upper pen has received a layer of laquer containing tiny sparkles. These sparkles are hard to show to good effect, but the pen certainly does sparkle. The Lyrebird is a big pen, about the size of a Danitrio Mikado, and is available with a massive variety of nibs. The lacquered pen sports a Krishna stub. The other (capped) pen has a Marlen semi-flex fine (also Indian), which is very nice.

Looking at these, it is not a matter of whether you think the clips, or the color or the lacquer/sparkle are pretty. Really it is all about character. These are simple and low cost pens, hand-made by an old chap who has done this all of his life. The pens have character, from the hand tooling marks to the inscribed peacock feather on the nib (a feather from the crown of Krishna I understand). Using one of these is like visiting India.

fpn_1505430087__lb2.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cunim

• da vinci

• darazs

• 4 weeks later...

The marlen flex nib is on a polished Krishna. The Jowo nib (from FPnibs) is on a "bakul" Ranga. Picture is trying to combine organic features in the plant leaf with the decorative ripples in the ebonite. I need to do a better job with the green.

fpn_1507929088__organic.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a fairly realistic view of a Ranga 3 "bakul" finish, a Krishna in polished ebonite and another Krishna in lacquer. I think I like the softer feel of the bakul best.

fpn_1509566192__greens.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a coupe of variations on the ripple theme. Both pens are hand made. The ebonite ripple pen was made by an old gentleman, working just as he did at Kim and Co. years ago - when fountain pens were still in widespread use in India. Cheap, nice to look at and basically a writing tool - made to be turned out as fast as antique production methods can manage. The other pen is a Jonathon Brooks acrylic, turned by a young man known for creativity and for pens in which attention to detail and finish quality are key criteria. Custom made, expensive, and as much a piece of functional jewelry as a pen.

Both are fun to use, teach me about fountain pens, and are worth the price I paid.

fpn_1510868077__ripple.jpg