Noodler's Ink And Corrosion

randumbum

Hi,

While we're clearly off-Topic, this is a prior Topic which gave me the impression that Noodler's inky bounty was dye-based : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/158098-ink-chemistry-primer-dye-v-pigment/

-> Search phrase :"FPN Samcapote molecule"

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I have read through the thread and cannot find anywhere that says Noodler's ink is dye-based. (Nor do I see the phrase "FPN Samcapote molecule" anywhere.) What I see is a discussion about whether a pigment-based ink can be safe for fountain pens.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• effrafax

• Sandy1

• FLZapped

• Intensity

Hi,

I have read through the thread and cannot find anywhere that says Noodler's ink is dye-based. (Nor do I see the phrase "FPN Samcapote molecule" anywhere.) What I see is a discussion about whether a pigment-based ink can be safe for fountain pens.

Oh.

I apologise for not meeting your expectations.

That Xref was meant to do what it says on the tin.

And "FPN Samcapote molecule" is what I entered in the G00gle search field.

Maybe next time I'll get it right, add more value and enable even greater enjoyment.

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Oh.

I apologise for not meeting your expectations.

That Xref was meant to do what it says on the tin.

And "FPN Samcapote molecule" is what I entered in the G00gle search field.

Maybe next time I'll get it right, add more value and enable even greater enjoyment.

Accepted.

One interesting point that is brought up in this thread is that as the pigment size is reduced from micron size to nm size the distinction between a suspension and a true solution will be blurred. If one can kept the size of the pigment below a hundred or so nm one can have what appears to the eye to be an ordinary dye based ink. The thing is commercial pigments have a finite size distribution sometimes extending into the micron range which will result in opaqueness. For a discussion of opaqueness and particle size see this blurb.

Edited by MarkTrain

Any liquid will be transparent if you look through a thin enough sample, and will be opaque if you look through a thick enough sample. Even pristine ocean seawater blocks all light after a couple of thousand feet.

By opaque I referring to solutions that you can call either cloudy, milky, turbid and results from the scattering of light. A concentrated dye solution will absorb most (but not all) light but will not appear cloudy. The ocean analogy is odd as salt water is colorless and will not absorb light, rather the attenuation of light in oceans is primary due to light scattering, in particular, light scattering by particulate matter such as sediment, plankton, plastics, etc. As such the ocean example is more akin to a suspension than a solution.

Noodler's inks have a very high concentration of dye. Sometimes, when you leave a bottle of one of those inks undisturbed on a shelf for a long time, some of that dye settles out on the bottom of the bottle. Shaking the bottle re-dissolves that dye back in to the rest of the ink. The same applies to other high dye saturation inks.

There is difference between precipitation and sedimentation just as there is a corresponding difference between a solution and a suspension. A dissolved dye (ie solute) will precipitate out if the solvent is evaporated or the temperature lowered, ie the solution is made to be saturated. To redissolve the dye either the temperature must be raised or the solvent added, ie the solution must be made unsaturated. Once the solute has redissolved the solution will be clear (not cloudy). Simply stirring or shaking will not redissolve the dye. For a suspension all that is needed to allow for sedimentation to occur is simply time. Stirring/shaking will readily resuspend the sediment, although the solution will remain opaque/cloudy.

I guess the fact there seems to be more anecdotal evidence against PR and Noodlers than any other inks is interesting and could suggest there being more risk with those inks than other brands.

I have several bottles of Noodler's ink. To answer the OP I have never had any corrosion issues from Noodler's ink. I do not own BSB, nor have I tried it. I love my Noodler's inks. I think at least two inks I don't have are on my wish list. I plan to buy more in the future.

I guess the fact there seems to be more anecdotal evidence against PR and Noodlers than any other inks is interesting and could suggest there being more risk with those inks than other brands.

The only risk is not being aware of the tools you are using: highly saturated inks need a bit more TLC. BSB does not play well with other inks, being alkaline, so pen hygiene is critical when using that range of inks (BSB, Cape Cod Cranberry, Concorde Grape). Nano carbon inks need to be watched carefully, and used regularly so that clogs don't happen. Etc, etc ...

As I've said almost ad nauseam, use the ink, or not. It's just ink. It's all your own choice. Just be aware of what you're doing.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

The only risk is not being aware of the tools you are using [...]; pen hygiene is critical [...]

[...] use the ink, or not. It's just ink. It's all your own choice.

Exactly. If I were a more artistic person, I'd embroider those words on a decorative pillow. ;)

In spite of so-called "anecdotal evidence" regarding Noodler's inks, I kept BSB in a Pelikan M800 for several years, flushing and refilling once a week or so. And when I decided to put a different ink in the pen, there was no damage, no corrosion, no problem with the pen.