The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kyo-Iro Stone Road Of Gion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 18:43

Kyo-Iro Stone Road of Gion

So far, I’ve enjoyed all of the inks that I’ve acquired from the Kyo-Iro/Kyo no Oto lines, and this one is no exception.  They have beautiful packaging, interesting colors, evocative names, and solid performance.  From what I’ve seen of the line, their inks are relatively subtle and understated, and don’t really jump off the page at you, so don’t expect them to be eye-catching, vibrant colors. I'm not always in the mood for bold, bright colors, and I like the sense of atmosphere you get with these subdued tones.

This ink is a faded, greyish brown that isn’t too saturated. When wet, there’s a very slight yellow/gold tone to the ink, which recedes as it dries, leaving a final appearance that doesn’t particularly lean towards any undertone besides grey. Most of my other browns have some hint of yellow, green, or red, but this one doesn’t really.  The ink is aptly named; not only is the color reminiscent of dusty cobblestone roads, but given that the ink isn’t heavily saturated, the darks and the lights are quite distinct, like the variety of colors in cobblestones. The ink behaves well, with good flow (not gushing, but not dry) and gentle shading.   I think in a EF or dry F nib, this ink would probably underwhelm, but I’ve used this in a wetter F nib and still liked the results. I think this ink also benefits from warmer colored papers. I like the ink much more on Tomoe River (both white and cream are yellowish) than Rhodia or laserjet paper (bright, pure white).

Lubrication: Moderate

Shading: Moderate-Low

Sheen: None

Water Resistance: Zero

Other notes: I did this review on cream paper, which brings out the brown a little bit; on white paper, the grey comes out more instead. The writing samples at the end are on white paper.

The following sample was done with a Franklin Christoph 02 (Medium Cursive Italic) on Tomoe River (52gsm, cream, loose-leaf). Doodle was done with a Size 3/0 mop and size 0 liner brush in addition to the pen. Flex writing was done with a Leonardt Principal dip nib.

Bad Scanner Disclaimer: Scan is slightly more accurate than photo in this one, especially for the comparisons at the bottom. The big smear along with all five comparison inks came out pretty true to life in the scan, which I usually can’t manage to do. Photo is a bit better for the doodle.

Scan:

fpn_1505413152__kyo-iro_stone_road_of_gi

Photo:

fpn_1505413175__kyo-iro_stone_road_of_gi

Comparison inks from left to right (big smear is the featured ink):

KWZ Honey, Robert Oster Melon Tea, J Herbin Lie de The, Graf von Faber Castell Hazelnut Brown, Sailor Doyou

Kokuya Campus:

fpn_1505413193__stone_road_of_gion_kokuy

Maruman Mnemosyne:

fpn_1505413209__stone_road_of_gion_mnemo

Sponsored Content

#2 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 18:59

Love your review format ! And the ink looks nice too, but a bit too under-saturated for my taste.

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 19:08

Stunning review :)

#4 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 20:18

Another lovely sketch and review-I became interested in this ink after Vis' review (thanks again Vis), and it's nice to see it reviewed again. I've attached a pic of a stone road in Gion, but I'm afraid it compares unfavorably to your beautiful impression of Gion. Thanks again.

https://www.google.c...HbZmHZNKIyLKwM:

#5 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 21:06

Thank you for another stunning review.  I ordered this ink more than a year ago, enjoyed it & moved on to the new folks, until I filled a pen a few weeks ago.  I remember now why I had enjoyed it so much.  I have sufficient legibility with the shading of dark to light & appreciate the grey tone despite enjoying browns.  It is just a nice subtle ink; your review is much appreciated.

#6 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 21:28

Another lovely sketch and review-I became interested in this ink after Vis' review (thanks again Vis), and it's nice to see it reviewed again. I've attached a pic of a stone road in Gion, but I'm afraid it compares unfavorably to your beautiful impression of Gion. Thanks again.

https://www.google.c...HbZmHZNKIyLKwM:

I did look at some pictures of Gion for reference and it seems the actual stones they use to pave their roads are much more uniform and orderly than how I imagined them. It was my inability to draw straight lines that convinced me to stick with the romantic interpretation. :lol:

#7 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 21:40

Very nice review!  Thank you.  I may have to try these inks out. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#8 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 21:52

So tempting to try this in an 03B

#9 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• 1,642 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 23:04

I did look at some pictures of Gion for reference and it seems the actual stones they use to pave their roads are much more uniform and orderly than how I imagined them. It was my inability to draw straight lines that convinced me to stick with the romantic interpretation. :lol:

I'm certain we're all delighted that you trusted your artistic instincts. Thanks again.

#10 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,993 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:47

Lovely, as always.  Note that Gion itself is quite wonderful, photographs notwithstanding.

I appreciate the point about brown inks sometimes showing hints of green.  Not an effect I appreciate.    

#11 MsRedpen

MsRedpen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:40

Thank you for another great review!

I like this colour :)

...might need to get a bottle...

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

#12 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:23

Beautiful!! Thank you.

Humm, I may get one bottle of this one.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#13 elpenguino

elpenguino

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 17:12

The only big downside I can see with this review (OK all of your amazing reviews) is that I am going to want the ink, I am going to buy the ink, and my pitiful excuse for handwriting and art will fall far short of the amazing things you make this ink do. This is the burden I bear, but thank you for showing what they are capable of. Very cool review format. I also like your swatch system of comparison.

#14 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,921 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 19:08

Love these reviews, this ink looks very soothing... Just as I was reviewing a thread about brown inks and concluding I didn't see myself getting another brown ink... Oh well.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#15 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:20

Undoubtedly the street from which the drawing came from:

gion-district-kyoto-47.jpg?w=1200

#16 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2017 - 18:06

:) Yes, although I recall using a picture with much different lighting, that's definitely the same street. You'll notice after getting about one building into either side I kind of gave up on the reference :lol:

#17 Gazcom

Gazcom

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2017 - 16:20

Stunning review, and lovely ink indeed!

Can I ask if the written sample was a quote from "Dance, Dance, Dance" by Haruki Murakami? I read it in Italian, but the Dolphin Hotel brought me back memories of that book.

#18 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2017 - 16:45

Yes, it is, from the English translation. I must have cropped out the part where I wrote the source of the excerpt. I'm a fan of his books so many of my writing samples are in his words :)

#19 johnboz

johnboz

Old Ink Accumulator

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 16:55

That's a beautiful review and a lovely ink! I really like the less saturated look and color of the ink. Thank you!

I've got a blog!
Fountain Pen Love

#20 bureaudirect

bureaudirect

Rare

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2017 - 17:04

Love your reviews  :wub:

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery