Caran D'ache Léman Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks,

We just received the photo set of Caran d'Ache Léman Grand Bleu writing instruments and wanted to share a shot we just made of the fountain pen. The guilloche engraved background is a wave pattern overcoated with a layer of translucent blue lacquer, evoking the waves of Lake Geneva (or Lac Léman). The clip is spring loaded. Not shown is the cap top which has the new six sided Caran d'Ache logo in blue enamel, also seen on the nib. All the fittings are silver plated and then rhodium plated. The 18 karat gold nib is rhodium plated. It's a large and fairly heavy pen, measuring about 5 1/2 inches long. The fountain pen is a cartridge / converter type and retails for $900.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/LemanGrandBleuFP_1280_03.jpg
Full disclosure: We sell these pens, but they are available from any Caran d'Ache dealer. We wanted to show what we think is the best looking of the newly redesigned Léman pens.
I'm curious what others think of the Caran d'Ache Léman line and if anyone would share their photos of these less talked about high end pens.
Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• jar

• OMASsimo

• Philozz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine are actually the earlier predecessor of the Leman the Genève.

http://www.fototime.com/3513F4D44B20904/medium800.jpg

How do you like them?

I love Cd'A fountain pens but I must admit that the Genève and modern LeMan are not my favorites. In Cd'A I find that when one of my Varius or Hexagonal or even Ecridor get into rotation they tend to stay in rotation longer than many other makes. Generally I will use a pen for a single fill but then flush it and put it away. That has also been the norm with my Genève; use it until it is empty but then put it away.

The others, and in particular the Varius models somehow seem to get refilled and kept in service. I intend to put them aside but somehow it just doesn't happen.

There have been a few pens that are like that, the Cd'As, Nakayas, Eboyas. Danitrios, Izumos, ST Dupont Gatsbys, Sheaffer Ft. Madison stub nibbed pens, Parker Vacumatics and Striped Duofolds but most get used until empty then cleaned and put away until it is there turn yet again.

Well, here is my old Leman. It's probably from the 90s though I'm not entirely sure about that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a cartridge/converter pen which in my opinion is the only minus. It's made of massive brass and thus a bit on the heavy side. But it has a lovely balance in my hand and the nib is superb. It certainly is up there among my favourite writers like Pelikan and OMAS pens. The only downside I have to mention is that the sort of rubbery material to cover the barrel shows some wrinkling, something I wouldn't expect from a $700 pen even after 20 years.

Well, here is my old Leman. It's probably from the 90s though I'm not entirely sure about that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a cartridge/converter pen which in my opinion is the only minus. It's made of massive brass and thus a bit on the heavy side. But it has a lovely balance in my hand and the nib is superb. It certainly is up there among my favourite writers like Pelikan and OMAS pens. The only downside I have to mention is that the sort of rubbery material to cover the barrel shows some wrinkling, something I wouldn't expect from a $700 pen even after 20 years.

That's another Genève I believe, the model before the LeMan.

I believe the Genève model has the distinctive clip as shown below and in the review I've linked. The Léman has a straight clip and the new V2 Léman is a bit wider and heavier than the earlier version. Also, the decorative cap band on the earlier Léman was actually on the barrel.

fpn_1455311773__caran_dache02png.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/305287-caran-dache-geneve/

I think you're right, it's a Geneve, the predecessor of the Leman model. I keep mixing them up because it's essentially the same line of design and only changed name. I wonder when, maybe early 2000s?

• 1 year later...

Caran dAche are celebrating 20 years of the Léman line, with the new Nuit colour pattern.

I infer from this that the Léman MkI was released in 1998, so the Géneve was earlier than this year but how much earlier?

Ive had a couple of Léman Mk I bi-colour with the etched cap end logo as opposed to the red lacquer. They were aesthetically shapely with the logo ring on the barrel. Moving the ring logo to the cap bottom makes the MkII more ergonomic looking (havent tried yet) but more conventional.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

• 4 weeks later...

I saw one of these at the London Pen Show last month and fell in love with it. I kept walking past the stand to look at it and knew I'd regret not buying it. So it came home with me. Luckily it was gently used so a lot cheaper, and I'm very glad I didn't miss owning one. It is utterly gorgeous.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• 3 months later...

It's a large and fairly heavy pen, measuring about 5 1/2 inches long

I have three Caran d’Ache “Bicolor” - the older model. Definitely beautiful pens, but a little bit too short for my personal taste. For this reason they quite often fall out of the rotation... Is this “new” line longer than the predecessor? Thanks in advance.

I have three Caran d’Ache “Bicolor” - the older model. Definitely beautiful pens, but a little bit too short for my personal taste. For this reason they quite often fall out of the rotation... Is this “new” line longer than the predecessor? Thanks in advance.

I would describe the V2 pens as chunkier, not longer.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks,

I decided to change the title to this thread since so many other pens were posted. Here's another one!

This is a Caran d'Ache Leman V2 Scarlet Red fountain pen. It's a revised design featuring a wider profile and the company's new hexagonal logo as the cap top in the same color as the cap and barrel. The new logo, introduced in 2015, celebrates the company's 100th anniversary and is a wooden pencil profile with a round center. This 5 9/16 inch cartridge / converter pen features a Scarlet Red lacquer finished cap and barrel and silver plated, rhodium-coated trim. The clip is spring loaded. The 18 karat gold nib is rhodium-coated and is offered in fine, medium broad and double broad nib grades. It's widely available and the MSRP is $810. Matching ballpoint pens, rollerball pens and pencils are also made.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/LemanScarletFP_1280_02a.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks,

We are reshooting some pens including the Grand Bleus so I thought I would post this one.

This is a Caran d'Ache Leman Grand Bleu fountain pen. It has the new wider profile Leman design and the company's new hexagonal logo as the cap top in the same color as the cap and barrel. The new logo, introduced in 2015, celebrates the company's 100th anniversary and is a wooden pencil profile with a round center and also appears on the nib. This 5 9/16 inch cartridge / converter pen features guilloche engraved cap and barrel with a wave pattern background overcoated with a layer of translucent blue lacquer, evoking the waves of Lake Geneva (or Lac Léman). The trim is silver plated, rhodium-coated. The clip is spring loaded. The 18 karat gold nib is rhodium-coated and is offered in fine, medium broad and double broad nib grades. It's widely available and the MSRP is $900. Matching ballpoint pens, rollerball pens and pencils are also made.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/LemanGrandBleu_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks,

This is a Caran d'Ache Leman de Nuit fountain pen. It was made for the 20th anniversary of the Leman with the new wider profile design and the company's new hexagonal logo as the cap top in the same color as the cap and barrel. This 5 9/16 inch cartridge / converter pen features guilloche engraved cap and barrel with a “Clous de Paris” hobnail pattern background overcoated with a layer of translucent black lacquer. The trim is silver plated, rhodium-coated. The clip is spring loaded. The 18 karat gold nib is rhodium-coated and is offered in fine, medium broad and double broad nib grades. The cap top and nib use the new logo, introduced in 2015, celebrating the company's 100th anniversary and is a wooden pencil profile with a round center. It's widely available and the MSRP is $900. Matching ballpoint pens, rollerball pens and pencils are also made.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/LemanDeNuitFP_1280_06.jpg

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

A gift from my father, this is my favorite pen in the world!

post-72672-0-42434100-1561413440_thumb.jpg

Edited by speculator