Twsbi And Kwz Ink Compatibility - Still An Issue?

PandP

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• fabri00

• Jamerelbe

• PandP

I have used KWZ IGand not IG in 2 TWSBI mini without any issue.

I never heard of one brand of pens not compatible with one brand of ink, honestly ......

A couple of people have posted on this forum to say that the IG inks were causing pitting and/or corrosion of the stainless steel rod in the vacuum filler pens - so as a precaution I'd steer clear of these inks in the Vac 700 and Vac Mini.

Does this hold for all non pH neutral inks?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Does this hold for all non pH neutral inks?

I don't know - I haven't heard of any problems with Pilot Iroshizuku inks, though I believe some of these are either a little acidic or basic. My understanding (second-hand only!) is that the stainless steel nibs are OK, as the iron gall isn't *all* that corrosive and they're not constantly bathed in the ink - whereas the stainless steel rod of the Vac pens runs through the centre of the ink reservoir. I wouldn't expect the piston filler pens to have the same problem, as the piston mechanism sits behind the piston seal, and is plastic (or aluminium) rather than stainless steel.

Interesting. Neither of my other cut-off valved pens (Danitrio Densho and vintage MItaka) use a metal rod. However, I think CONID uses metal. I wonder if CONIDs have a similar ink incompatibility.

Oscar Wilde

No issues - even with the few isolated cases that have occured, KWZ have made sure the most recent batches don't have an effect with the TWSBI ECO pens. We've tested dozen inks too and they have been working perfectly.

Link to the original post is here.

I have KWZ IGL Aztec Gold in my ECO - it has been there since June, no problems at all.

Amazing ink btw.

Mishka

Edited by bureaudirect

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect

No issues - we sell a lot of KWZ Inks and have only seen two TWSBI ECO pens which were affected (barrel got cloudy).

Konrad wrote a long post about this topic, I'm sure it's here somewhere :)

I tested KWZ IGL Aztec Gold in my ECO - it has been there for weeks, no problems at all.

Amazing ink btw.

Mishka

The ECO is a piston filler. How about the vac fillers?

Oscar Wilde

As bureaudirect mentioned, this was an issue last year.

The coating on the Eco barrel interacted with a surfactant used in the older version of KWZ iron gall inks. Other TWSBIs don't have that coating.

Konrad of KWZ stopped distribution of those inks and reformulated them. And when TWSBI charged pen people to replace those Eco barrels, Konrad refunded those charges.

In an Eco, use the newer KWZ iron galls made starting in October 2016.

Other TWSBIs can use either version.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/307808-cloudy-ig-residue-in-piston-filler/page-4

And as other posters mentioned, iron gall inks can be corrosive to steel. The underside of the nib sits atop a pool of ink.

I find this noticeable with my steel dip pen nibs.

Edited by cattar

A couple of people have posted on this forum to say that the IG inks were causing pitting and/or corrosion of the stainless steel rod in the vacuum filler pens - so as a precaution I'd steer clear of these inks in the Vac 700 and Vac Mini.

ok, but it is not an incompatibility of all inks of kwz with all pens of twsbi.

At this moment in time, KWZI inks (IG and non-IG) are safe for use with TWSBI pens, as far as I know. Just make sure the vendor sends you a bottle with a date code after September of last year if it's an IG ink.

Thank you very much for clarifying everyone. By the sounds of it I should be fine to use the inks with my 580 TWSBIs. Thank god. I have been waiting so long to try the Honey and the Gummiberry.

I've been using KWZ IG Gummiberry and KWZ IG Turquoise for a good long while in the 580AL for months with no problem. In fact, I forgot I'd done so and left it sitting for over two months with no issue (although I wouldn't test your luck and try that yourself).

I've also had a Mini loaded with Gummiberry and had no issues. I think you'll be fine as long as you keep it on a relatively consistent cleaning schedule.

I've avoided the Eco with KWZ because of the above-mentioned issues, but users above have addressed most of the associated concerns. I'm guessing you've already loaded a pen with IG ink, given that this was last checked the 15th, but I figured I'd chime in for any future readers.