The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Rotring Isograph Ink

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 massoh

massoh

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 21:10

hello there,

can I use fountain pen inks at a Rotring isograph technical pen ?

Sponsored Content

#2 ParramattaPaul

ParramattaPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 21:24

Are you asking if you can use fountain pen ink in an Rotring Isograph Technical Pen (for engineering drawing)?  You can, but I wouldn't if I was doing any drafting or engineering drawing.

#3 massoh

massoh

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 21:41

Are you asking if you can use fountain pen ink in an Rotring Isograph Technical Pen (for engineering drawing)?  You can, but I wouldn't if I was doing any drafting or engineering drawing.

thanks for quick advice, I agree with you using rotring drawing ink, I got two 23ml black & one red as stock , but I wonder if I can use for example Noodlers' black fountain pens ink which is water proof as well and if it will act with the same performance. with your advice I think a small experiment will not harm....as a test not a real drafting ....

#4 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:04

If anyone needs more feedback about this topic, I have been using Diamine Onyx Black in my rOtring Isograph for a month now with no issues. I use mine for writing though, not for technical drawing.

#5 Teacher Man

Teacher Man

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 15:22

If anyone needs more feedback about this topic, I have been using Diamine Onyx Black in my rOtring Isograph for a month now with no issues. I use mine for writing though, not for technical drawing.

Any experience using dip pen ink? I'd be very interested in putting acrylic ink in my isograph...

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

#6 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 15:37

Any experience using dip pen ink? I'd be very interested in putting acrylic ink in my isograph...

Considering that the "proper" ink to put in an Isograph/Rapidograph is Indian ink, and many if not most dip pen inks are Indian inks, you're good to go.

You just need to remember to flush the pen more often because it dries up and clogs the components after a while. Cleaning dried Indian ink from an Isograph is very difficult.

#7 Teacher Man

Teacher Man

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 16:15

Considering that the "proper" ink to put in an Isograph/Rapidograph is Indian ink, and many if not most dip pen inks are Indian inks, you're good to go.

You just need to remember to flush the pen more often because it dries up and clogs the components after a while. Cleaning dried Indian ink from an Isograph is very difficult.

Defien very. :) Would taking it apart and soaking it in either Rotring or Rohrer & Klingner cleaning fluid do the trick? Or do I have to hire an army of gnomes and bribe them with pretzels?

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

#8 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 16:54

The army of gnomes, definitely. 

I bought a used Rapidograph and a used Isograph as my first technical pens, and I spent one whole afternoon on them.

Soaking them in plain warm water does nothing. I had to let them bathe in several baths of warm water and glass cleaning product. I didn't have the Rotring flushing liquid, you see.

Eventually, I took the pens apart, and I accidentally ruined the thin needle of the Rapidograph. The Isograph was salvaged but I put a notification on my phone to flush the pen once a week. I know it's exaggerated, one probably needs to flush them once a month or so, but I had the experience I had and didn't want an encore.

Also, be mindful of the fact that the dried ink in these pens had dried who know how many months or years before, so I think I went through the proverbial worst-case scenario.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks, 19 April 2018 - 16:54.

#9 Teacher Man

Teacher Man

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 17:54

I'll give that a try then, and keep my eyes open for any passing gnomes. :)

Sponsored Content

|