The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fellowship Pen For Fountain Pen Congress By Ohasido

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mchenart

mchenart

mchenart

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 16:02

Hi there!

As you might know, the Fountain Pen Congress is a group of pen friends who are mainly based in Taiwan, although several members live in Hong Kong.

Around two years ago, we decided to commission Ohasido to do a number of fellowship pens especially for our members, and thought this would be a great way to celebrate our friendship and get a unique Ohasido pen at the same time. We settled on an urushi, straight-bodied and textured design with a large nib. Maruzen of Tokyo had commissioned a similar pen, albeit in dark blue, from Ohasido for their pen fair last March, and this was approximately the same pen shape that we asked them to produce for us. Several of our members did get the blue Maruzen Ohasido pen last year, but we decided to be more adventuristic in our request this time.

This is to be a bespoke pen in every way, with hand applied urushi work in black underneath, and an overcoating of vermilion on top that would be sanded down to reveal the black colour underneath. The irregular urushi treatment means that with the raised parts polished away, the black lines would form very expressive ‘brushstrokes’, as in an oil painting. The effect is similar to the Negoro-nuri technique, but more linear and textural. Of course, each pen is unique in its look and feel, and signed by the urushi master.

tTtMyeU.jpg

After the whole lot of 9 pens were finished, they were shipped to a maki-e master in Wajima to produce the kanji characters in gold, which means ‘Fountain Pen Congress’. We could even choose whether we want the regular script or cursive scrip type, but most preferred the regular script as it is easier to read.

2IgCm6s.jpg

For the nibs, we could choose from a wide selection of 14k nibs of width from EF to B. I chose an MF. These were made by Sailor to Ohasido’s specifications.

This fellowship pen for our Fountain Pen Congress has finally been delivered, and I must say that it exceeded our expectation by a wide shot. Since none of us speak Japanese, we had to work through a translator during all stages of the production. Fortunately, none was ‘lost in translation’. Although we had to wait 18 months for it, I think is absolutely worth the wait.

rblZacL.jpg

8EQavaa.jpg

The first two photos courtesy of Jewel Lai.

Sponsored Content

#2 Tinjapan

Tinjapan

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:54

Wow! Congratulations, those came out wonderfully. You are justifiable pleased.

#3 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:10

These are stunning!  Congratulations!  

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#4 rpsyed

rpsyed

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:55

Wow! Those are absolutely stunning. Congrats on getting this organized. 

#5 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:03

What a great way to commemorate the club. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy the pen for many years to come.

#6 Sakura FP Gallery

Sakura FP Gallery

Sakura FP Gallery

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:30

Very beautiful pens ! Enjoy them.

Catherine Van Hove

sakurafountainpengallery.com

#7 AmandaW

AmandaW

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:34

They are beautiful! Thankyou for showing them.

It's all about the greys...

#8 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:32

Perfection. Love it.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

#9 koofle

koofle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:33

Thank you for the explanatory writeup. The finish is gorgeous!  Just like my plain bchr Ohashido but better in every single way!

I do weekly informal video reviews of pens/papers/inks in the style of my silly written reviews at the

I am also a member of the Inkwell, an IRC chat group for fountain pen enthusiasts who like hedgehogs.

#10 mchenart

mchenart

mchenart

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2017 - 17:28

Thank you all for your very kind words. Yes, it is indeed a good way to commemorate our friendship through a commissioned pen, not the least from a well known bespoke pen maker.

Koofle, I used to have a chased black hard rubber Ohashido myself. Though simple, they are actually quite charming pens, great as an everyday writer.

#11 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 15:51

Michael, congratulations on the completion of this great project!  The pens looks fantastic and all you guys must be thrilled!  I am looking forward to seeing them in person at some point in the near future (hopefully ) 

#12 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 18:05

Beautiful! How much did they end up costing?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#13 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 18:06

Superb.

#14 mchenart

mchenart

mchenart

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2017 - 19:12

Beautiful! How much did they end up costing?

This is quite an expensive pen. We were quoted a price of 200,000 Japanese yen for each pen if we ordered 5 to 9 pens in total. If we ordered more than 10, the price would drop to 150,000 yen each. That did not include the maki-e master's fees and other miscellaneous fees.

#15 JasonF2

JasonF2

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2017 - 19:50

These are beautiful pens. Thank you for sharing!

Sponsored Content

|