The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

This Just In - Historic Discovery! Waterman-Powered Esterbrook!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:58

Two weeks or so ago, I took delivery on a nice, albeit simple black, Esty English-made Relief No. 12.

R12-1.jpg

It lay on my desk, gathering dust, until a few days ago, when I decided to clean it up and put it away with the other British Esties.  So I pulled the section and tipped it over, expecting pieces of petrified sac to fall out.  What I got was this!

R12-2.jpg

Now, if you’re an “old-hat eclectic” c-worder like me, you’ve disassembled your share of Waterman ‘50-series’ lever-fillers (52, 54, 55 and later), and know immediately what that is (or should be).  If not, go to the following link on the Richard’s Pens website: http://www.richardsp...ir/leverbox.htm

scroll down a bit and you’ll see an illustration  of what the Waterman lever-filler Lever Box assembly looks like, and how it fits and works.

So I’m thinking, “What’s this Waterman pressure bar doing in an Esterbrook?”  Well I started checking it out and sure enough:
A variation of the Waterman lever box on the barrel …
R12-3.jpg

The two littlel feet on the lever, to fit onto the pressure bar …

Rer-6.jpg

And, to complete the Waterman engine:
A 3-fissured …

R12-5.jpg

variation of the Waterman SPOON feed in the section (Esty Renew Points use a 2-fissure feed with cross cuts on the underside) …

R12-4.jpg

Well, there it is.  I can’t even speculate why the English would use this kind of system in their later Reliefs.  Maybe there’s someone out there in FPN land who can fill in the blanks for us …. 

At least we now know that if you come into possession of a Relief No.12 with a busted up lever, you can MAYBE fix it up with parts from a Waterman 52V (short) donor pen.  How cool is that?

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Sponsored Content

#2 eachan

eachan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:05

Conway Stewart, who made the Relief pen for Esterbrook, used a similar slide bar in their own pens.  I'm not familiar with the full Relief range but I wouldn't be surprised to find that they used the same construction in some of the Reliefs.

Regards,

Eachan

#3 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:24

I have a Relief 12 in my collection.  There is a more than strong similarity to the Conway Stewart 14 (and likely a few others), and the filling assembly is very much like the Waterman system, but I would attribute that to CS more than anything.  Most of my Conway Stewart pens have this same pressure bar and lock tab.

maxresdefault.jpg

#4 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2017 - 17:47

Well, how about that! 

Pretty as they are, I never got into Conway Stewart. 

Just goes to show that one can never stop learning stuff. 

Thanks for clearing that up, guys.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#5 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2017 - 21:58

The Relief 12 was made by Conway Stewart, and is based upon the CS28 model. The CS28 (and the CS58 / CS60) used these floating pressure bars  

Sponsored Content

|