Montblanc 2017 Sep New Released Diamond Pen

luoo1984

~ Hmm...

The FPN Montblanc Forum is veering towards less-than-charitable comments.

A sprinkling of tact does wonders to earn respect.

Tom K.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• Pravda

• meiers

~ Hmm...

Tom K.

Respect? It is a pen brand. In any case, putting out ugly edition after ugly edition, what is expected?

I think they are too gaudy for Las Vegas. So I love them. When will they be arriving? Can I see them at my local boutique? And, uh, no, I will not be acquiring them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Respect? It is a pen brand. In any case, putting out ugly edition after ugly edition, what is expected?

~ eidola:

My poor phrasing again.

I meant respect of comments, not of the brand.

Your approach may be more realistic and in tune with contemporary realities.

If my less-than-astute comments in any way offended, I apologize.

It's difficult to satisfy a wide range of feelings, and I frequently fall short.

Please be patient as in time I may improve.

Tom K.

The photos are fascinating and I thank you for sharing them. I prefer staid and conservative writing instruments like the 149 made of precious resin. Diamonds are not this boy's best friend.

~ Hmm...

Tom K.

I agree. Tact and Respect for the other participants in the conversation also allows for laughter and smiles. Edited by meiers

I agree. Tact and Respect for the other participants in the conversation also allows for laughter and smiles.

I wonder if that's how it's been for thousands of years. Back in ancient Egypt 'it's just a coffin you guys' or in Rome 'who would buy this gilded pot, it's a three month chariot payment for me'!

I mean, one walks into the Louvre to have a glimpse at the Mona Lisa. She's not the most beautiful and the painting is dark and small.. yet it is what it is. An expression of human capability. Rarely one would find a group on the side snickering and hurling snide comments else they'll be asked to move along.

It's starting to feel like this in here. Just saying

Either way let's talk logistics. You (generic) have arrived here because you're a Montblanc fan and want to bask in the beauty of their creations. If you happen to be at the wrong event, don't offend and just go look at whatever whets your imagination wherever that may be.

By the way, Patek / Mercedes / Armani all produce 'concepts' that aren't for general use or consumption. It's a means for the brand to demonstrate what their capable of for publicity. You rarely find people sporting outfits straight off the runway.

I wonder if that's how it's been for thousands of years. Back in ancient Egypt 'it's just a coffin you guys' or in Rome 'who would buy this gilded pot, it's a three month chariot payment for me'!

I mean, one walks into the Louvre to have a glimpse at the Mona Lisa. She's not the most beautiful and the painting is dark and small.. yet it is what it is. An expression of human capability. Rarely one would find a group on the side snickering and hurling snide comments else they'll be asked to move along.

It's starting to feel like this in here. Just saying

Either way let's talk logistics. You (generic) have arrived here because you're a Montblanc fan and want to bask in the beauty of their creations. If you happen to be at the wrong event, don't offend and just go look at whatever whets your imagination wherever that may be.

By the way, Patek / Mercedes / Armani all produce 'concepts' that aren't for general use or consumption. It's a means for the brand to demonstrate what their capable of for publicity. You rarely find people sporting outfits straight off the runway.

~ Pravda:

Your eloquence expresses what I've felt but been unable to articulate.

Fountain pens are a visual and tactile experience that's satisfying for various reasons.

The fun lies in their discovery, acquisition and use.

Disparagement and epithets are features of free interchange of thoughts, but these are pens, not candidates.

There have been Montblanc models which lack charm in my eyes, but others revere them.

That's great, because diversity of taste results in a healthy collecting and writing community of enthusiasts.

The concept pens from Montblanc are reminiscent of the more rococo Fabergé gilded eggs.

They are stunning objets d’art, but they'd not fit in my apartment's puppy-centered decor.

The more rare pens, the limited and special editions and various vintage pens expand my taste, challenging my sense of the possible.

I'd feel ashamed to toss mud on someone else's creative accomplishment, as glib put-downs are seldom insightful.

Thank you for your measured response in support of meiers’ comment.

Tom K.

I give MB an A+ for creativity. I would never have thought of this.

Thank you - I know that the Artisan department at Montblanc is very proud of these pens for several reasons and I know that the owners are happy as well. We should simply respect this instead of offending all the people involved.

Thank you - I know that the Artisan department at Montblanc is very proud of these pens for several reasons and I know that the owners are happy as well. We should simply respect this instead of offending all the people involved.

+1

Tom K.

Other photographs show the blue one in better looks. Design wise I can't understand the ring in the middle of the cap though, looking like a clumsy ad-on to me.

WWW.nelsonsousaphoto.com

Hello Axis,

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you on this. If we work in the arts and we put ourselves, or our products into the public arena, we have to accept the criticism, as well as the praise. It's all part of the creative process.

In my time I have been blessed with some wonderful reviews, but I've also had some stinkers. Not pleasant, but we move on wiser and our next venture is stronger as a result.

If we filter out our honest opinions, or only allow the good reviews, we will become a group of flatterers - and that benefits nobody.

I must add that I am talking about the product, here. I'm not talking about members of the group insulting each other, which I see as unacceptable.

Thanks.

Hello Axis,

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you on this. If we work in the arts and we put ourselves, or our products into the public arena, we have to accept the criticism, as well as the praise. It's all part of the creative process.

In my time I have been blessed with some wonderful reviews, but I've also had some stinkers. Not pleasant, but we move on wiser and our next venture is stronger as a result.

If we filter out our honest opinions, or only allow the good reviews, we will become a group of flatterers - and that benefits nobody.

I must add that I am talking about the product, here. I'm not talking about members of the group insulting each other, which I see as unacceptable.

Thanks.

Completely agree.

Yeah, I agree with some of the feedback on here...I'll be more gentle and say it's not for me. Then again, there are very, very few MB designs I like, namely Kafka WE, 146, and 149. Of those, there are even less I'd consider spending my money on.

Target audience for these pens are those who consider a million dollars pocket change. I'm positive they will sell regardless.

Hello Axis,

Thanks.

Indeed. Critiquing a product/brand is very different from attacking forum members.

Okay. Settle down people. They're pens. If you believe you'll never have a million in pocket change, you're self-limiting. What you might do with it is your business. We're having nice fantasies here and there's space for everyone's

For my taste, which is my own and for which I do not apologize or proselytize, the howdah on top of the Hannibal ruined the lines of the cap. I'd go for the diamond chip version with the ruthenium finish and gold accent. But keep in mind I would also ink it and use it.

Art is in the eye of the beholder, the creator, and the purchaser. Here's to everyone whose best efforts ever garnered one star reviews. At least it's out there for the world.

Indeed. Critiquing a product/brand is very different from attacking forum members.

I can't for the life of me find a single entry in this entire thread that appears to be any form of attack of one member towards another. I do find that freely shared opinions seem well-tolerated by both members and administrators in this particular thread. Kudos for that.

The thread that had one member lash out an another is elsewhere :)

Anyway my 2¢ is that YES people are free not to like something and can hopefully pose constructive critique for the rest of us to learn from. Primitive 'it's ugly' or 'it's too expensive' is offending.