Kwz Ink – Ig Green #1

crahptacular

KWZ Ink – IG Green #1

So, I Googled pictures of Poland in order to represent this Polish ink, but it turns out the image I ended up with was Charles Bridge in Prague, which I didn’t realize until too late. Apologies for my American ignorance; I’ll blame Google, which I rely on to be more knowledgeable than myself, but failed me this time :). Anyway, I bought this ink in a small shop in Taiwan, and it’s labeled “銅青” which I believe should translate as “Copper Green.” The shop had their own bottles and labels for the inks, so I don’t think their translation is an official name. According to the catalog, this is KWZ IG1200, which is listed as IG Green #1 on his website. When I looked it up, I was somewhat surprised to find that this was simply called “green”, which I feel is a misleading name for the color. Especially with cool artificial lighting, I would not identify this as green at first glance.

This ink is a well-saturated teal in most conditions Although I will concede that it leans closer to green than blue, it doesn't feel right calling it a green. This is probably why the translated name called this a copper green—the turquoise-blue tone when the ink is wet is reminiscent of oxidized copper roofing. When the ink itself oxidizes and darkens, the turquoise recedes and the final color is closer to green than the initial color (but not by much). I think, as a green, this ink is disappointing, especially for those who prefer yellow- or brown- leaning greens, because at the end of the day the ink just isn’t very green. However, ignoring the nomenclature, I don’t mind this color range. As long as I associate this with colors like Yama-Dori or Emerald of Chivor, I can avoid being sad about how not-green this is. Once I get over the name, I do end up liking the color. All of my other similarly colored inks tend to show a significant amount of sheen, while this one has none, which for some people can be a plus. And of course, as an IG ink, it has the important quality of having good water resistance. By the way, In the comparison, the only ink I would call an actual green is the last one, Forest Green, which is already on the blue side.

Lubrication: Moderate

Shading: Moderate-Low

Sheen: None

Water Resistance: High (most of the color washes off, leaving a clear grey line)

Other notes: This ink has darkened in the bottle since I first bought it, which is pretty normal for an IG ink. The ink was also already a relatively dark color to begin with. As a result, the color change effect is not as dramatic as with some other IG inks, but it’s still noticeable.

The following sample was done with a Franklin Christoph 28 (Broad Cursive Italic) on Tomoe River (52gsm, white, loose-leaf) and a water brush for the doodle. Flex writing was done with a Leonardt Principal dip nib.

Bad Scanner Disclaimer: Both scan and photo were corrected fairly accurately for the top half of the review, but the bottom half was much worse. The large smear from the photo (for the featured ink) is more accurate than the scan, but the comparisons below it is much better in the scan. Most of those inks are unrecognizable from the photo. Also, the wash in the doodle is totally wrong in both of the pictures. For some reason, they show up like an almost florescent turquoise, but in reality it's pretty pale.

Scan:

fpn_1505244878__kwz_ig_green_1.jpg

Photo:

fpn_1505245106__kwz_ig_green_1_photo.jpg

Comparison inks from left to right (big smear is the featured ink):

Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku, Sailor Yama-Dori, Robert Oster Tranquility, J Herbin Emerald of Chivor (without particles), Papier Plume Forest Green

Oxidation shot:

fpn_1505245217__kwz_ig_green_1_oxidation

Kokuya:

fpn_1505245325__kwz_ig_green_1_kokuya.jp

Mnemosyne:

fpn_1505245348__kwz_ig_green_1_mnemosyne

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thudthwacker

• amberleadavis

• crahptacular

• sakib

Wonderful review. I have this one inked up right now. I'll post a scan too. Perhaps we can send letters to each other with the same ink (that's a CRV).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not a color I like (I much prefer IG Green #3). But thanks for the comprehensive review -- *love* the drawing.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oo! Another fabulous review! Love the Charles Bridge. Wrocław is known for having more than 100 bridges (mosty (plural of most, meaning bridge)) but none so majestic and ornamental as Charles Bridge in Prague.

I want to suggest a do-over with a drawing of Wrocław ratusz (town hall), but Konrad, creator of KWZ, is in Warsaw. Anyway, there are plenty of KWZ inks to review. Poor Czechia has only a few, the basic four colors from Koh-I-Noor. (I'm using KIN Document Black currently--and liking it very much!)

I'm looking forward to more of your excellent reviews!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Great review! I just don't need another green this shade right now though.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

OHHHH... I do love your review format.... :wub: :wub:

As much as I love KWZ IG Inks... and specially GREEN.... this one is not "murky" enough for me.. ;) My favourite from the green line is IG Green #4... that one has an olive tone.. :puddle: :puddle:

This image is from Konrad - InkMaster of KWZ

http://kwzink.com/fpngallery/fpn012.png

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Here is another comparison with #1 and #2.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/20141221_000150.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks to both of you for the comparison shots! I will have to check out his other greens! I like how they form a spectrum from blue to yellow. Very organized. My usual preferences are probably around #3 or #4... I will keep these in mind :)

• 1 year later...

On the strength of this review, I got a sample of IG Green #1 from Vanness, and I really love it. I've always been a fan of blue-greens, so this ink is right in my sweet spot. I like the shading, like that it doesn't smudge when dry the way IG Turquoise has for me, and it has that wonderful cream-soda smell.

It's funny -- early on in my fountain pen wanderings, I never really saw why so many people liked iron gall inks. And, at the moment, I've got 3 of my 4 pens filled with them (KWZ IG Green #1, Platinum Classic Forest Black, Platinum Classic Cassis Black).

Thanks for the excellent review! Found me yet another ink I need to have a bottle of. Well, soon -- the generous 4ml sample from Vanness is likely to hold me for at least a couple of weeks.

On the strength of this review, I got a sample of IG Green #1 from Vanness, and I really love it. I've always been a fan of blue-greens, so this ink is right in my sweet spot. I like the shading, like that it doesn't smudge when dry the way IG Turquoise has for me, and it has that wonderful cream-soda smell.

It's funny -- early on in my fountain pen wanderings, I never really saw why so many people liked iron gall inks. And, at the moment, I've got 3 of my 4 pens filled with them (KWZ IG Green #1, Platinum Classic Forest Black, Platinum Classic Cassis Black).

Thanks for the excellent review! Found me yet another ink I need to have a bottle of. Well, soon -- the generous 4ml sample from Vanness is likely to hold me for at least a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the review and the lovely drawing. It's indeed interesting that the colour doesn't disappear as much as with other KWZ IG inks. I wonder if they're changing the formula. We had a brief chat on the subject during a Tilburg pen show and it was clear that opinion was divided within KWZ concerning the greying of IG inks.

• 9 months later...

Ugh. Went on to using other inks, circled back to use IG Green #1 recently, was reminded that I wanted a bottle, went to Vanness ... and they're out of stock, and I can't find it anywhere else. Not, obviously, a problem of any consequence given the current global crisis, but fiddling with pen and ink has been a comforting distraction for me lately.

Ugh. Went on to using other inks, circled back to use IG Green #1 recently, was reminded that I wanted a bottle, went to Vanness ... and they're out of stock, and I can't find it anywhere else. Not, obviously, a problem of any consequence given the current global crisis, but fiddling with pen and ink has been a comforting distraction for me lately.

Found it in stock at Dromgoole's! Got it and a few more bottles in my cart, went to eat dinner, came back up with my credit card ... and it was out of stock at Dromgoole's, too. I think maybe I give up.

Found it in stock at Dromgoole's! Got it and a few more bottles in my cart, went to eat dinner, came back up with my credit card ... and it was out of stock at Dromgoole's, too. I think maybe I give up.

In the fountain pen world, if you snooze, you lose. ;)

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.