Did Parker Change The Quink Blue Black Ink?

Needhelp

No i am not talking about the old solv x ink. Last year i remember i used parker quink blue black and after a day, the words would turn to an ugly teal clour which i hate. But a few days a go i went to the same shop and i dont know why i bought it but i did and i bought a quink blue black and the box looks a little different. The advantage of this shop is that they always keep this stocked up and just remove the old ones. So there are different stuff and not the same things. Ok i went home and inked my lamy al star with pacific and the ink was a bit only a bit dry but i can easily manage and what i noticed was a colour difference. Normaly the one from last year would be a beautiful like a dark blue with a tiny hint of green making it teal but not all the way and i love the colour. But after a day it turnsto a light ugly greenish teal and i hated it. But the new one? Same thing except it doesnt change the colour! I dont know why but after three days its still the sam maybe a touch lighter but that is because of the wetness of the pen but it hasnt changed the colour and this was the colour i was looking for. But i dont have the old ink to compare so..... here is a picture of it. Hopefully the picture should have given you the idea of the colour. But i am not a photographer.

Ok wait i am sorry the picture is not uploading so i will upload it later.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Needhelp

• radellaf

• pajaro

• fabri00

EhLi2p2.jpg

Not a huge shift in the photo, from original Waterman Blue-Black ; but, yes, the old Quink blue-black is no more (Le vrai Quink n'est plus?) and it is now the same as Waterman Mysterious Blue(Black). To go with the two companies now being brands under one conglomerate.

I don't have the old SolvX version, and I'm not sure if there was an intermediate version that was the old color but without Solv-X.

Not unique as a teal labeled blue-black - look at Sailor Sei-Boku. It's maybe my favorite ink of all (for now), but there's no damn "black" in it.

Here's a comparison of the new & old: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/148828-parker-quink-blue-black-old-vs-new/

tl;dr photo:

yYWkKjs.jpg

Edited by radellaf

Maybe they just change the boxes the bottles are in--Parker just sends new boxes for the bottles.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Well whatever the change maybe i like the ink so.......... i dont really care of the old colour but is waterman mysterious blue better?man the pictures are taking too long to upload and are not uploading.

Anyway thanks for giving this information. It might come handy for later.

I think there are 2 blue black: permanent and the regular one.

The regular is turning to teal when dry. The permanent remain blue.

I have always seen blue-black as becoming green-gray, with age. The box may vary, depending on the source of the product. Is any Parker ink made in the US ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

...Is any Parker ink made in the US ?

Hi Sasha, et al,

Unless there has been a new development... which I doubt... no.

Quink is made in France or India... and I've read heated debates claiming the Indian-made, (for the regional market, not for wide-spread export), Quink is inferior to the French-made Quink, but I can't say myself... I've never compared them.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to highlight question in quote.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Are you using a different paper? Some papers do strange things to ink, including reacting with them to fade them completely away!!!

I've noticed a change as well. I bought a bottle of Parker Blue Black Quink in 2015 which has the green tint after it dries. I liked the look, so ordered another bottle in 2016 (both came from Amazon). Identical boxes and bottles, both made in France. The second bottle doesn't have the green color. It's more of a standard blue black, very much like Waterman or Lamy blue black, and not nearly as interesting, in my view.

I've noticed a change as well. I bought a bottle of Parker Blue Black Quink in 2015 which has the green tint after it dries. I liked the look, so ordered another bottle in 2016 (both came from Amazon). Identical boxes and bottles, both made in France. The second bottle doesn't have the green color. It's more of a standard blue black, very much like Waterman or Lamy blue black, and not nearly as interesting, in my view.

That's sad.

Green sheen sounds interesting.

I've been thinking about getting a bottle based on its past reviews.

Hi,

To clarify in words the depiction of my of 'old and new' Parker BlBk as presented above was of Parker BlBk c/w SOLV-X to the ink that was then in the market labeled as PBlBk which did not bear the word 'permanent' on the label. So please follow that link.

As of today, I do not care to tip a toe or a pen in the current production PBlBk ink. (My daily office writer ink remains the permanent with SOLV-X version.

Yet I am an optimist, so fingers crossed that the current production PBlBk has attained more 'backbone' and won't make that off-course drift to teal. (Who's at the helm?)

Most often I've observed shift in hue due to paper (acidity, coating etc) but sometimes it seems the dyes are inherently unstable. (And don't get me started on ESSRI)

I always respect, though don't always enjoy, the right of an ink make to alter their product. But I reckon they should inform consumers of such a change. e.g. PBlBk version 32a

For the most part, I find that such deviations can be determined by in-pen performance, changes in hue / value, and water resistance. I always like to look at the most recent Ink Reviews of those inks I've reviewed, so that any deviation can be be identified / queried.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bump up this thread but I just swabbed my entire collection and I had Parker Quink Blue-Black in a cartridge bought 1-2 years ago and a brand new bottle bought last week. The old cartridged ink turns greenish for me while the new bottled one is a really nice dark blue.

Here's a photo, the bottled is on the left, the cartridge is on the right.

UnOWHsc.jpg

I read the thread 3 times but I'm probably too daft. So is the one I got on the right from before their parent company acquired Waterman? (which was in 2010 which would mean my cartridges were about 8 years old, they don't include the word permanent or Solv-x on the box so theoratically they should have been the "new" ink @Sandy1 was talking about in the review)

The left one looks exactly the same as Waterman Mysterious Blue, maybe, just maybe Parker is a bit darker but I honestly can't tell from the swabs by simply looking at them next to each other.

If I read the thread correctly, Parker made a new Blue-Black that is newer than the one @Sandy1 is talking about?