Pilot Falcon Skipping Queries

Bilbo_Swaggins

So two things.

1. Having just attained a soft fine nib falcon, I am finding that it is skipping rather frequently, as in hard starting and multiple strokes required to get any ink. It is using the supplied con-70. Now I have both the feed and converter soaking but my question is this, If this does not fix the issue can anyone recommend another solution.

*also i have checked the nib and its alignment is fine as far as i can tell.

2. Do people use this as their pen of choice? Akin to how some people may use a Lamy 2k everyday, would this be able to make the jump from sketching pen in some peoples eyes to a daily writer. I picked this up for sketching and perhaps to transition to more intensive work (not as in flex, I realise its not a true flex nib). More just curious about others opinions when it comes to this.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bilbo_Swaggins

• Bluey

• Shaggy

• friedrichwild

You could try using a cartridge.

Have you got any macro pics of the nib?

Perhaps you've sprung the nib by overflexing?

I use it as a daily writer, and it's not really any different to a stiff nib as far as practicality is concerned. The nib has a little discernible bounce when writing but there is no line variation at all when writing normally and quickly.

You could try using a cartridge.

Have you got any macro pics of the nib?

Perhaps you've sprung the nib by overflexing?

I use it as a daily writer, and it's not really any different to a stiff nib as far as practicality is concerned. The nib has a little discernible bounce when writing but there is no line variation at all when writing normally and quickly.

I shall try a cartridge and get back to you mate, while I don't think I have spring the nib (which may be a problem in itself) If that does not fix the problem then I'll post some pics.

second query related: Does a cartridge provide a different flow compared to a converter? I have only ever used Lamy converters or vacuum ink sacs in Sheaffers.

What ink are you using?

A pen-friend of mine is a big fan of her Pilot Falcon.
I myself do have a Pilot Custom Heritate 912 with a Falcon nib.

We both agree that both pens do need inks with good flow and I had best experiences with Pilots Iroshizuku and Montegrappa Fuchsia.

Inks that do not flow that good did not work. (I am using a con-70 with my pen.)

Also you have to have in mind that these japanese nibs are not designed for (western) cursive writing. So it also can be question of adapting your writing to the pen.

2. [...] Lamy 2k [...]. I picked this up for sketching and perhaps to transition to more intensive work (not as in flex, I realise its not a true flex nib).

The Lamy 2k has nothing to do with "true flex". It is a modern nib that is not even soft compared to japanese soft nibs, which do provide a small amount of line variation, when you push them a little. My Lamy 2k (I do have 4 nibbed with M, OB, OBB [old pen] and an M with a custom grind to cursive italic) are wonderful smooth writers but they do not have anything to do with flexibility.

And also the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA-nib ("Falcon nib") is not a true flex if you compare it with vintage pens. Yes it can give a lot of line variations if you adapt your style of writing to it, but a true (vintage) flex feels and works different.

What ink are you using?

I have tried using lamy blue (bottled), sheaffer brown (bottled) and the supplied pilot black (cart).

I don't think i'm flexing it too much but will take some pics tomorrow anyhow. I'm headed into the city so I will try and pick up a sample vial of what you mentioned.

Thank you for your help so far.

Top down, after clearing some black pilot cartridge ink off. had to adjust this one slightly for file size reasons.

post-138902-0-25363600-1505656719_thumb.jpg

I think you've sprung that nib, and I don't know how to 'repair'(if possible) one. You're probably best off talking to a nibmeister about your options.

The tines shouldn't be anywhere near that far apart. This is what my Falcon looks like.

Did you buy it 2nd hand or new?

4RDZtbu.jpg

Edited by Bluey

the tines are indeed far apart but i do not think that the nib is sprung. I think that it is an easy fix if you are able to pull the nib out.

If you want to go the DIY route, there's some videos on YouTube about repairing splayed tines. To me they look sprung but hopefully it's not permanent.

A 'scotsman' called Haggis disassembles the Falcon nib. Be careful. I don't think it will as easy as most other nibs.

Edited by Bluey

So a quick update, after taking all things into consideration I fully withdrew the nib and feed. After a thorough cleaning (again) I had a look at the nib. As a side note I do a bit of modelling, specifically 15mm or 28-32mm, so I have a variety of tools and skills that are directly transferable. A ever so slight tap of the tines and re-assembled. This proved to solve roughly 80% of my problem, so to complete a diluted ink was the best bet. 3:1 Mont Blanc Royal Blue to dH2O.

Issue has been solved so far, if this pops up again I will send to a professional. However after a morning of use, it seems perfectly fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Further more: for those finding this through google. I also have a soft extra fine. Both were stubborn, but once I used Iroshizuku ink in them they are perfect. This is to the point now where the extra fine is now replacing my Lamy 2K as my daily writer (I have a love/hate relationship with the 2K).

In summary my googling friends: Use Iroshizuku ink, its worth it.