The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Graf Von Faber-Castell - Spring In Converter?

graf von faber-castell

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The Phoenix 924

The Phoenix 924

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 21:55

​I just received a very beautiful Graf von Faber-Castell Classic in the mail today and I noticed that there was a spring in the converter (picture attached to show detail). Any idea how it might have gotten there and what I might do to remove it? Or would it just be easier to contact GvFC's warranty service and ask for a replacement converter?

​Thank you!

Attached Images

• Sep 11 2017 _X1T0002.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 aeba

aeba

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2017 - 23:21

I don't have GvFC converters, so it could be an error, but more likely it is just as it is supposed to be. Springs and other such things are one of the methods to break the surface tension of the ink. More usual way is a ball bearing.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 00:40

Usually you would use a compression spring so that spring is likely not factory installed.  But compression springs would be reasonable.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 The Phoenix 924

The Phoenix 924

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:06

Interesting. I think I'm going to order a second converter for fun. I don't know how or why a new GvFC would be modified or it would be any different than normal.

#5 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:34

Contact GvFC customer service, this way you find out if it is normal.

Although, I think it is not normal, since none of my 5 GvFC converters have it. But, they may have changed it recently.

#6 theLorekeeper

theLorekeeper

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:55

Such springs are becoming commonplace for converters, to prevent surface tension from starving the feed of ink. Frankly, I wish more converters had them.

#7 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2017 - 13:48

It's just an agitator. You'll find them a lot supplied in standard converters when buying Chinese pens.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#8 The Phoenix 924

The Phoenix 924

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 16:16

Thanks everyone. I've never seen a spring agitator before, but that makes sense. Looking forward to inking it up!

#9 alwayssunnyalwaysreal

alwayssunnyalwaysreal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 20:10

I have several GvFC pens and my new Guilloche has the same converter with the agitator (none of my other ones do). The retailer wasn't too sure if this converter is going to be the new version, but it seems to be the case.

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnya...s.com/for-sale/

Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD) 

Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Rosé | Lamy Safari & Vista | Noodler's Ink Ahab & Nib Creaper (SOLD)

Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Red | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortoise-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Stola III (SOLD)Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD) | Pilot Parallel

Pilot Prera - Light Blue (SOLD) | Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers | ystudio Portable Brassing (SOLD) | AND MORE!

#10 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 20:37

I've gone through all my converters and inserted springs from keyboard switches. That's great that GvFC is doing it too.

#11 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,049 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:00

I've gone through all my converters and inserted springs from keyboard switches. That's great that GvFC is doing it too.

Those are great if gold or stainless steel.  They are compression springs which is what is needed.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#12 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 20:49

Those are great if gold or stainless steel.  They are compression springs which is what is needed.

yep. I use 24k gold springs.

#13 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 22:28

Ahh haa !

I recently answered an Amazon UK question about this.I thought it was an error in assembly.  :rolleyes:  Ooops.

Thank you for setting me straight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graf von faber-castell

Sponsored Content

|