Kyoto Celluloid Pens

mke

Does anybody have such a pen?

Can you recommend?

What size is their Schmidt nib? 5,6? Exchangeable for e.g. a Jovo?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Algester

• JasonF2

• Pen_Padawan

Depending on specific models really but most of them use the no.5 ; the pen themselves are quite pretty and the workmanship is on par with yhe big names but not what I would say superior. You really are paying for the materials, and the look of it. I had a couple of them both old discontinued ones. They seems to fair reasonably well.

Has anyone found a reliable source for Kyoto Celluloid pens? I have been looking for them for several months but it seems they are fairly hard to come by.

> Has anyone found a reliable source for Kyoto Celluloid pens?

They have an online store:

http://kyotocelluloidjp.ocnk.net/

Email: shop@kyotocelluloid.com

Thanks much!

I will be in Tokyo next week, I can check the two Tokyo stores for price and inventory.

Thank you kindly, feel free to DM me, if that's easier.

Isn't cellulloid nitrate out of use since long times?

No.

The use was revived in the 90's for pens. The Brown Arco material used by Omas for example. The use may die again because there might not be currently anyone making celluloid nitrate right now in a form suitable for pens. Celluloid is had never gone out of production for things like guitar picks and pickguards. The problem is that all of the material is in thin sheet form and not immediately usable for pens.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I read on Wikipedia that there are two factories in China still making this material. The others have apparently abandoned the production after several strong explosions during the nitration process of cellulose.

So - is this pen worth it? It appears to have an ordinary Schmidt steel nib - am I mistaken?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

I looked a bit around and found some more information about the material they use.

"Natural material celluloid
In 1870 (Meiji 3), the thermoplastic resin which mankind first got was made from wood and cotton, it was a natural resin "Celluloid".
There is a property (biodegradability) of being decomposed by microorganisms and returning to the soil, although it is the oldest material, it can be said to be the ecology material that is just now required."

Sounds strange. But the pictures here https://image.rakuten.co.jp/auc-youstyle/cabinet/kyoto/ktc_0-1.jpg show that it is apparently made from a molded "celluloid".

https://www.vintagepens.com/FAQmfr/celluloid.shtml

"Celluloid is usually cited as the first synthetic plastic. Its origins go back as far as the 1850s, but as a commercial product it is to be dated to the 1860s, with successful large-scale manufacture being more a development of the 1870s. It was only in the 1920s, however, that fountain pen makers wholeheartedly embraced the material. Unlike hard rubber, celluloid could be made in a huge range of colors and patterns, simulating almost any natural material imaginable. Although some cheap pens were made of molded celluloid, nearly all better pens were made of rod or plugged tube stock that was machined to shape.

In the modern world, true celluloid is almost extinct. Much of the colorful "celluloid" used in contemporary pens, eyeglass frames, and fashion accessories comes out of Italy, but it is in fact based on other forms of cellulose -- cellulose acetate, in particular. ..."

Where to buy Kyoto Pens is included in their website. Several Tokyo Hands stores are mentioned. Kyoto Pens seems to have met some success. One of their early offerings is similar to early Kato or Long models and readily sold out. Interesting celluloid pens are high on many peoples lists.

Why pooh-pooh Schmidt nibs? They're probably better than many others in the vintage and modern markets. Buy the pen and change out the nib to something you like better.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thanks much!

Thank you kindly, feel free to DM me, if that's easier.

Hi JasonF2,

Tokyu Hands in Tokyo Shibuya has the entire Kyoto Celluloid line as of today. I'm new to FPN and finding it difficult to add images or link images, I'll DM you. Let me know if you have any questions. I will also be in Kyoto in January, do you know if their factory is open for viewing?

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Pen_Padawan/library/Kyoto%20Celluloid?sort=3&page=1

I got answer from Kyoto Celluloid regarding the materials. They told me that they have several material producers and they are re-confirming before giving a definite answer. They also showed me a new pen coming out in October which they say is real celluloid (nitrate). I am just now re-confirming if I am allowed to show here the picture. They also told me that it is more and more difficult to obtain celluloid materials for their pens.

I will keep you updated.

They sent me a mail confirming that their pens "Goldfish", "Sakura", "Pine needle", "Kurodan" are all true celluloid based on cellulose nitrate.